Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Purina Sensitive systems vs. TOTW Salmon

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Asmit 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the Purina Sensitive Systems (Salmon main ingredient) has got that carcinogenic fish preservative in it or not? We were discussing it a year or so ago and no-one was sure if they had removed that or not, I guess people complained to the company etc. but the whole discussion here was inconclusive.

Has anyone tried the Purina SS against the TOTW (Taste of the Wild) Pacific Stream (Salmon)? I had all my dogs of TOTW but then one day the special feed store we get it from was closed and I went back to the Purina just until the bag runs out. I noticed that my little Min Pin quit peeing and pooping as much... the pooping I would not be so surprised about, food formula can affect amount of stool, but the peeing being affected has been unexpected. Granted I felt she was peeing a little too much before. Any ideas on the whys of that?

Thanks all,

Paws :)

#3 ·
Hey EB!! Good to hear from ya!!

Trust me I would never dream of it except for finding out on this forum that the Purina Sensitive Systems formulas are actually premium dog food and btw it is expensive stuff.

BUt you are not helping me with my question, just harassing me as per usual ;)!

#5 ·
Hey DJ, nice to see you too, what a great photo of your big and little dogs! Thanks for the input. I'm pretty skeptical about Purina over the long haul too, it's just weird how suddenly the Min Pin's litter box isn't soaked and her stools are not as abundant or yukky on the Purina, but she could be more constipated on it too. I just wonder what is in the TOTW that makes her pee like crazy.. It's a mystery.

#8 ·
THIS.... I have been feeding Pro Plan to. I switched to TOTW fish formula for a little while several months ago just to try something different, and both dobes blew their coats and pooped like crazy on it. I have tried several high end brands including grain free and was never as happy with the results as I am with Pro Plan. I do agree that other kibbles are better quality but if your dog doesn't do well on them, then you shouldn't feed them. There are several members on here that feed Pro Plan and some breeders that feed it with great results. You have to feed your dog what they do well on, and what works for some doesn't work for other's.

#7 ·
Would not feed this C--P. You can email the company and ask if the source of where they buy the fish meal contain Ethoxyquin. Also ask if they source any of their ingredients from CHINA? Second This food contains Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vit. K Activity also bad stuff. Third what the heck is ANIMAL DIGEST? Here is what it is.
AAFCO: A material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto.

A cooked-down broth made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO FEED YOUR PETS THIS C--p STUFF???
Also check out The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare? it will list all the ingredients to avoid and what they are.
Check out LindaH posts she has a lot of pet food sites to look on.

#9 ·
No clue what to say about the Purina, however, i also noticed the reaction on TOTW in my dobe. He was on pacific stream, and peed excessively, excessive thirst, even had an accident in the house. The day I switched foods it stopped. The day I tried TOTW again, he peed again. No clue what it is, as he has had all of his bloodwork etc done and his livers/kidneys are fine. Its just something in the TOTW.

For the record, I switched to Acana pacifica, and the day I did he stopped peeing/drinking so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.