Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys got this puppy adopted when he was 45 days old and now he is 8 month. I live in an area that is cold and snows in winter so his coat is longer than normal. So what do you think? Is it mixed and what possibly can it be ?

Attachments

·
Big Lil pup
6,498 Posts
Hi Samer. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Mixed IMO.. Some Dobe. Lots of something else. His head is not shaped like a Doberman. That is not a Dobe muzzle. His body is not square. Chest is too shallow. Tan markings are awfully light.

Still... A nice looking pup!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,505 Posts
Well, I agree that he is a mix--mostly based on his head and the markings on his chest. I'm thinking there could be lab in there? But one way or the other, he looks very nice and has a good proportion of dobe in him.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
He looks like a Kelpie or Kelpie-mix that someone had cropped and docked when they mistook him for a Dobe as a pup.

·
Big Lil pup
6,498 Posts
Yeah... Kelpie mix makes a lot of sense. It kind of looks like he is double coated too.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Def. looks like a mix I would guess husky too. Could be kelpie but kelpies aren't super popular dogs in the US
I don't believe samer is in the US. I'm more inclined to believe somewhere around India, Pakistan, Indonesia possibly. Folks from that region tend to refer to puppies' age in days vs weeks.

·
Premium Member
8,772 Posts
Definitely a mix of something - very cute!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for your opinions. The weird thing is that he is 66cm now and almost 9 months so he has more to grow. Kelpies look like him but way smaller that's the idea. Its confusing

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
Well, 66cm is nearly 26" so that's not far off what a male Dobe should be (26-28 inches) and some of my Dobes were nearly their full height by 9 months but I had a couple who grew another 1 to 1.5 inches between 9 and 18 months.

But he does not really look purebred--for a Dobe but there is a picture in one of the Wiki descriptions of a black and tan Kelpie that is the spitting image of your boy (except for the docked tail and cropped ears)--not as big but that particular picture has no background so you can't easily tell how big that particular dog is but they are supposed to be somewhat smaller than dobes--18 to 20 inches in size listed though. They are not very common in the USA and are recognized by the AKC (sort of--AKC recognises the Working Kelpie as an emerging breed and track pedigrees so that the breed will have correct recording of breed as it moves toward full recognition.

One of the big differences in the standard is the double coat of the Kelpie--John wondered if he had a double coat.

Interesting mix though...

dobebug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts