Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone its been awhile since we were on here, but Frank just turned one last week. Standing on his back legs when he gives me my hug every day he stands about 5'11 and weighs as of today 107 lbs. We took him to our vet to make sure everything is healthy and everything is perfect. We found out Frank's dad is 125lbs. Is this normal although our vet said he's perfect just want my fellow owners opinions with there dobeys

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Anything over 98lb (or is it 99lb) is out of standard. When talking about height people usually measure from the floor to the shoulders when the dog is standing with all four feet on the ground. It could be that he is fine weight-wise because his dad was so large but it's really hard to tell without a picture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the process of trying to put up picks of him now, I believe my boyfriend measured him at 27 inches. Everytime when we are at the park running people ask us if he's mixed w great dane I will be getting pictures up in the gallery tonight I think I learned how to do it

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
My boy is right around 27 1/4 inches and he weighs 83 lbs. That is pretty spot on for that size.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My rescue boy Riley just turned 1, he is 30" tall and weighs 72lbs. He is on the smaller size, but we defintely want to keep him lighter so its easier on his joints because he is a TALL boy!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My rescue boy Riley just turned 1, he is 30" tall and weighs 72lbs. He is on the smaller size, but we defintely want to keep him lighter so its easier on his joints because he is a TALL boy!
You mean your min pin?!

I would think that if your boy is 27 inches he's pretty overweight to be 107lbs.. Also, keep in mind many vets won't even mention weight until it's a HUGE problem. Some vets just don't like talking about that elephant in the room. I know a lady with a cocker spaniel of the approximate body size of mine. Hers ways 49 lbs while mine weighs 17. She says her vet has never ever mentioned the dog being overweight and until she was brought in to be groomed it never dawned on her that the dog was overweight. I like to keep my dog right where he has a nice tuck up and you can see a few ribs. There was a thread on dobe weight recently if you use the search button at the top you'll find lots of info.

·
Super Moderator
21,894 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to put up picks of him now, I believe my boyfriend measured him at 27 inches. Everytime when we are at the park running people ask us if he's mixed w great dane I will be getting pictures up in the gallery tonight I think I learned how to do it
If he's 27" and weighs 107 pounds he's just about guaranteed to be overweight. And for the record I've seen a couple of Dobes that actually did weigh 120 pounds and 124 pounds respectively and they were simply OBESE!

My small Dobe who is just under 27" weighed 75 to 78 pounds when he was showing in conformation--when he finished and I started doing performance stuff with him I did what I always do and took some weight off of him--he runs agility at around 74 pounds. The big dog who is 28-1/2" showed at 88-89 pounds and runs agility at 83-85 pounds. He's a heavy boned dog and you can easily see his last three ribs, feel all of his ribs and has a tuck up.

I agree that vets have a tendency to NOT tell people if their dogs are overweight. Take a couple of pictures of your dog standing from the side and with the light source from behind you shining on the dog and we could probably tell you better is his weight was OK or too much.

There is no weight standard in AKC or Canadian KC Dobe standards. AKC standard says dogs 26 to 28" ideal being 27-1/2". Bitches 24 to 26" ideal being 25-1/2". Dogs hugely out of these size ranges are at risk for health problems relating to oversized dogs.

And it's true that dogs are always measured standing four square on the ground from the ground to the top of their withers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts