Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my new pup on Sunday. The breedere just called and informed me that the pup I have on hold sat in red ants and then bit her tail raw. I plan to show her and the breeder knows, this so the vet restretched the tail and restiched so she would not have a scar tissue nub where she chewed it. She has 8 staples in the underside of tail that are very close together. Although, I only plan to do obedience with her I am concerned. She is a smart girl, and she has the personality I am looking for Rally. Have any of you had to redo the tail at 8 -9 weeks like this? Did it cause any issues, or scar tissue? (welping date was 3/5/2012) I am not going to breed her, but love to do obedience,. I have shown cats, and horses but never a dog. I use to be a Vet. Tech, so I know how to properly take care of the tail, but also knw scartissue can casue all sorts of problems. She is on antibiotics. I am so worried. There is another female but she is not the personality I am looking for. It is a 10 hour round trip drive to pick her up. I do not work so I will be home with her to make sure she does not chew it. The breeder said she will gladly keep the pup until it is fully healed, but with my experience I would rather be taking care of it, then leaving it up to the breeder that has horses, and 9 pups, then her own 3 dobies to attend to. Any experience with this type of problem. In my Vet tech days, we never re did any tails at this age that I remember. I'm already in love with her....sigh:confused:

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Is this pup from Fox Crossings Farm, by any chance?

If you're going to be active in OB, and not breed ring, a scar is irrelevant, other than if the cosmetic issue bothers you personally.

A tail dock neuroma, is a whole other ball o' wax, though, and I'd want to make sure everything was being done to make sure that is not the issue.

As for switching your pup choice, I absolutely would go with the one whose personality/drives suited me and my lifestyle.

Did you choose this pup, or did the breeder choose for you?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Maybe you would feel better if you could talk to the vet. Ask the breeder if she would mind and to ask the vet to speak with you. Honestly, if you are talking about having to cut some skin off the end of the tail or trim it up and restitching, that would make me nevous about the skin being too tight and irritating the end of the tail. I have never had to deal with anything like that tho. Maybe someone with a similar experience will come along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I picked up the puppy and her Mom had pulled the 8 stitches out. I am using Alu Spray, and lanacane, also some bitter orange to prevent licking. The bone is not exposed, but nice pink, red flesh with a clear disharge when the Aluspray(Invisable bandaid) wears off. I am mainly worried about neuroma. Yes, they were red ants, and no it was not Fox's Farm. She is perfect for obedience, and no mistakes in the house in 24 hours. She also knows my noise for leave it already, and I can get her into a sit easily. I use to be a vet tech, but we did not do ears very often, and I do not remember any problems with tails. She is quiet when she needs to be and spirited when we play. The other puppy was active, loud, and would not stay still when I did the testing to see if she would listen, and be obedient. I have not named her yet.
I had a Doberman Rescue, and had to put him down a few months ago. He was sick from the day I got him, and only survived 8 months. I knew what I was getting myself into though. At least he knew love the last days of his life. I spent many nights up with him crying because I wanted him to get better, and he could not. He was 30 bs underweight, was 8 years old, had a respitory infection, heartworm, eye and ear infection, fleas, worms of every sort, a intestinal bacteria infection, and had never had a name. He fought off all of that but he had a bone tumor that grew on his c-spine, and pressed on a his spinal cord. At first we thought he had wobblers, then Gainsville (Vet School) thought is was from a old injury on his neck , then it grew...He had been a breeding dog in large breeding facility...I never was able to find out which one. It was a difficult experience as he was not even house trained when I got him. To make a very long story readable, He had to be put down, and he was the best dog that I ever had the privilge to know. It was my most difficult rescue of my life. I foster, and rescue one pet at a time. I just finished fostering a litter of kittens, and a Momma cat. My older Boys wanted me to have a puppy...not a rescue, something I just could just have fun and relax with. For Mother's day they bought me this beautiful girl:) I love obedience....so here we go:) Tail issues are nothing, but a new challenge to me. I am sure I can handle it but as always, will seek out thebest advice, form the most informed people I can get in touch with. Ah, yes....that is why I am here...Can you post slide videos anywhere here? I would love to post my Smile Box's slideshow, that has my rescue, Phoenix, story one it in the rescue section.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I think people just post the links to their slide shows in their post. I am not sure if you can actually post a slide show. You could ask a moderater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts