Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is now 4 months old and I noticed that he has very long legs, when I take him for long walks on pavement after awhile his legs will start "bowing out" and by the end of one of our walks I had to carry him home because his legs buckled in..after about 45 mins his legs went back to normal. They seem to only do it when he is on pavement for a long period of time, but if I walk him say in a field for an hour, nothing happens to his legs. I was wondering if this is common, or if his bones just aren't set yet enough for him to be on hard surfaces for too long.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
How long was/are your long walks?
It is important not to push a growing pup to walk or exercise longer than they themselves want to so you don't stress they're body and growth. Not saying you are, but just in case.

I would head to the vet as regardless this imo is something that should be checked out, it sounds like it could be a bigger problem or he could just be getting exhausted from to much exercise.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this only happened once...I walked him for about twenty mins he was about 12 weeks when it happened..I noticed they starting getting wider then when we were walking back his knees like buckled in, I took him to the vet the next day (since his legs were fine within 45 min) and the vet said he didn't see anything to be concerned about and his bones looked fine. He said keep an eye on it, and I limited his walks on pavement and haven't seen a problem. Like I said He can run in a field for and hour and not have a problem..so I didn't know if they impact of a hard surface would affect his bones?

I also changed his puppy food, to a large breed puppy food with less protein, and I haven't really seen anything like previously but I didn't know if it was common in young pups, I know they can be prone to bowing of the legs.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
i never feed my pups any of the so called puppy foods.all my pups go onto the same food my adults get. I have never had any growth issues.

do a search on Doberman Talk for bowed legs, knuckling over, etc. lots of helpfull information here on DT.

I hope your pup grows up without any further issues.

Hugz to your puppy! (what is his name?)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
My puppy is now 4 months old and I noticed that he has very long legs, when I take him for long walks on pavement after awhile his legs will start "bowing out" and by the end of one of our walks I had to carry him home because his legs buckled in..after about 45 mins his legs went back to normal. They seem to only do it when he is on pavement for a long period of time, but if I walk him say in a field for an hour, nothing happens to his legs. I was wondering if this is common, or if his bones just aren't set yet enough for him to be on hard surfaces for too long.

Should I be concerned?
Well this only happened once...I walked him for about twenty mins he was about 12 weeks when it happened..I noticed they starting getting wider then when we were walking back his knees like buckled in, I took him to the vet the next day (since his legs were fine within 45 min) and the vet said he didn't see anything to be concerned about and his bones looked fine. He said keep an eye on it, and I limited his walks on pavement and haven't seen a problem. Like I said He can run in a field for and hour and not have a problem..so I didn't know if they impact of a hard surface would affect his bones?

I also changed his puppy food, to a large breed puppy food with less protein, and I haven't really seen anything like previously but I didn't know if it was common in young pups, I know they can be prone to bowing of the legs.

I'm confused. In your first post above, you make it sound like an ongoing problem, that has happened on more than one occasion.

Then, when folks tell you that you are right to be concerned, and that he needs to see a good vet, you say it only happened once, and has since resolved? :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, to correct myself it has only happened that bad one time, ever now and then his legs may tend to look "not straight" but one time it was extremely bad to were I was very concerned. Now for example, if i am walking him, I will limit his walks or if i tend to notice anything in his legs ill stop walking him i just didn't know if it could result in bone growth.

Like I said, it only, if it does happen at all, on pavement...never on any other softer surface

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I believe it was was Axels mom who made an awesome thread about knuckling over. I'm not sure if what your describing is the same thing but you may want to check it out. I'm not sure how to post links but hopefully someone here can show you.

Definitely go to the vet though. That's not normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts