Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Puppy's head shaped weird?

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  InertiaWings 
#1 · (Edited)
Is it just me, or is this puppy's head shaped weird? I didn't notice at first because I don't have much experience with pups. I suppose maybe a question for the pros? Is she going to look odd when she's grown, and does this warrant an exchange of some sort?

What I'm thinking more specifically is that her muzzle and skull look extra long and thin. I don't know how else to describe it, sorry.

See less See more
#2 ·
oops, didn't mean thanks....but anyway...

I'm not a "pro" but her head looks fine to me. Where did you get her? If you have concerns you could always talk to her breeder.

Reactions: InertiaWings
#4 ·
She's precious. From the angles you've photographed, it's difficult to see her entire head but from what I see, her head shape looks fine. What makes you think it is not a good shape?

Who wrapped her ears? I suggest a different tape and to get someone to maybe help you wrap them.

Who is the breeder?

#6 ·
Her head looks fine to me.

You are using way too much tape to wrap her ears. You just need 3 pieces of tape for each ear and 1 long strip for the bridge. There is a sticky of a tutorial on how to wrap the ears. Also, you should be using a tape like Coach or Zonas which is a cloth tape which allows the ear to breathe! :)

Jan

#8 ·
Ooh dear, I know she has an unnecessary, ridiculous amount of tape on her, lol! I plan on retaping her today, she's all itchy, poor thing! You see, unfortunately it's a backyard kind of thing I got involved with because of someone at work. I just feel like her muzzle is quite long compared to photos of other dobe puppies. I could try to post a head photo when I get home. Maybe I am crazy.

#15 ·
ok thats it I will have to post pics of Kahlua so that we can win the oddest shaped dobe head award, she is called the Crocalua with her long snout and she has a narrow head, but you know what...

She is AWESOME even with a funny shaped head, but my girl is a pet not a show or breeding dog, yeah she is not the most beautiful but she has such a lovely soul

unless you want to show and then breed look at the whole package of your pup, not just the head

#21 ·
I'm just happy to have a doberman again. A relaxation and calm had washed over me, like it's what's right. Macha was wonderful and I have missed her with an ache that words cannot describe. I was just worried I think, because of where I got her. After watching that posting job, and looking up the food I was given to discover the first ingredients were chicken MEAL and CORN?!? Ugh!

#22 ·
OK. You are nuts. LOL. She is just fine.

You do need to make sure the post go past her ear tips. The tips should be supported on the posts, not curled over. I can't see 100% in your photo but it looks like the tip is curling slightly over the tip. I would make the post about 1/4" longer than her ears.

She's a doll. Is she spoiled?

#23 ·
Yeah, I noticed I misjudged and cut the post too short, but my brother was helping and needed to sleep! We'll get it right next time! I feel awful I didn't redo them sooner as I realized the posts they used were jabbing her in the ear every time she made a mistake and bumped one. I saw the marks when I pulled them out. I want to call her and tell her about the backer rod for the sake of her other puppies, but I don't want to offend her? Of course she is spoiled! She has the wicker basket I used for Macha, full of toys. She's already taken to rooting in there, when she's not trying to confiscate socks or chew the bottom of my entertainment center off! Lol.

#25 ·
I used to wrap the bottom of the post w/gauze & secure w/tape to make it as comfortable as possible w/no pokey edges when posting.

She has a beautiful head IMO. Dobermans are supposed to have a dry wedge head and it looks like she's got that.
She's a doll. Post post post and when you think you're done post some more.

(we thought we were done @ 5 1/2 months because they stood straight as an arrow for 2 weeks, then they started to do a banana wilt thing so I posted like a madwoman for 3 more weeks- not fun when they're acclimated to not having posts in- wish I'd just kept posting)

LMAO @the mummy remark.

Good luck w/this cutie pie.

#26 ·
I said the same thing the first couple of days I had her. I joked about that awful post, said she was just dressed up for Halloween, and the full range of "special person" helmet jokes.. Sorry, I'm awful. Lol
On a side note with this, is Blue Buffalo Longevity Puppy okay to feed a dober girl, or is there something I maybe don't know? My Golden/Cocker did wonderfully on it, his coat is just gorgeous.
This is the link to nutritional analysis:
. BLUE Longevity Natural, Holistic & Healthy Puppy Food

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.