Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is now 14 weeks old and I have had him two weeks now. Thank goodness I have a helpful breeder that does my posting for me or I would never be able to do it. She told me to remove the posts the night before a repost. Last night I removed them. His right side looks great this am but the left is folded outward and the tip is flaring out. Not sure how to post pictures here yet or I would have. Please tell me this will work it self out. I think we still have about three more weeks of posting since they are the show crops. I guess I'm afraid that he broke his cartilage and now his ear won't develop straight and other crazy thoughts like that. I just need some comfort that his ears will turn out nice.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Most of the time things like that are fixable with good taping. I would, though, be surprised if his ears are done in 3 weeks. I've been lucky with my show crops and they've all gone up pretty fast but they were done at about 5.5 months to 6 months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just got back from getting his ears reposted. The breeder said there is nothing to worry about. His ears are "normal" and she taped them differently on the side I had my concerns. She said his didn't look bad at all and she had worst. I guess we do have 4 weeks maybe 5 left before we go to breathing strips for the tips. Thanks for the posts!

·
Registered
907 Posts
It is very, very, very rare to have a show-crop post in 8 weeks. Do not be surprised if this doesn't work out for you that quickly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I definately would post longer than that. You may think they are done but will probably fall within days. My pups euro show crop are almost done and he is 6 months. This is amazingly fast and does not happen often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it must be wishful thinking on my part. I know the breeder said for sure 4 more weeks and most likely more. I just want it to be done. He does well with the posting and it really doesn't seem to bother him as much as it bothers me. At the end of 4 weeks he will be a week shy of 5 months. I'm seeing posts that state 6 and even 8 months before they stop posting. I guess I will just have to have patience.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The reason you want to post that long is as the pup starts teething alot of times ears will start to fall if they are not 100% finished. It would be a shame to have a lovely show crop only to have it fall because they weren't posted long enough! I'm still posting my pup at almost 9 months just to be safe. A crop and flop is not something I want to look at for the next (hopefully) 10 years or so.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My boy was done by 7.5/8 months and he has a more medium crop.

I'd stop worrying about an end-date and just put it out of your mind. The more you think about it the more it's gona suck. If nothing else pick a date and don't even bother checking the ears until that date. And pick a far out date (aka - not two weeks from now, lol).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts