Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
StephanieM
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I got my 11 week old puppy's ears cropped today. He came home with a cone of shame and his ears wrapped flat to his head. The vet told me to remove the bandage tomorrow and to leave his ears alone for 2 weeks (until the stitches dissolve) and then begin posting them. However it seems like most people begin posting their puppy's ears right away. What should I do?
He is a little bit old for ear cropping and I do not want his ears to not stand up but i really really don't want his ears to get infected or damaged in any way by posting them. :confused:

·
StephanieM
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. He's doing really well it seems. What method of posting has worked well for you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
StephanieM
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! That seems do-able. My vet said post 4 days on and 3 days off. She mostly crops pitbulls. Not many dobermans so does the 4 days on 3 days off rule sound okay?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Thank you! That seems do-able. My vet said post 4 days on and 3 days off. She mostly crops pitbulls. Not many dobermans so does the 4 days on 3 days off rule sound okay?

No--it doesn't sound OK at all. Pit crops are typically very short by comparison to Dobe crops. Generally early in the posting process you would post--leave up for 3 to 5 or 6 days (it really depends on temperatures and weather conditions--hot weather or wet posts make for more frequent posting) take down, clean ears, let them dry and put them back up.

Go through that proceedure in that link that Sam&macksmom put up--it's pretty right on as far as directions go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I post 4 days, then remove the posts, clean the ears, and wait until I see any sign of weakness ( at the beginning, after 20minutes of non-post, and now after 3 or 4 days posts off. )
But the rule is to wrap again at any sign of flop or weakness. Do NOT wait. The more you wait, the more you'll post them.
And of course, you have to wait stitches are completely healed before posting.

·
StephanieM
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I was thinking as well. He looks so weird now. His bandages are of and one ear is already up and the other ear is floppy. I hope that doesn't mean the floppy ear will be troublesome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The link they posted is a great guide. My 3 month old was developing pockets which made the tips touch. I started posting like the tutorial says and after 2 days his ears were back to being perfectly straight, and they look great. Your vet should help you post the first couple of times until you know what youre doing. For my guy he got the stitches out a week after surgery and then we started posting another week after that to make sure his ears were healed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my vets says its okay to psot and wrap newly croped ears

im very confused and worried.yesterday i got my pups ear cropped.my vet has posted and wrapped the ears.bt from reading so many threads i have come to understand till the sutures come off ears should be left unwrapped.plz suggest me what should i do.should i take off the bandage and leave the ears bare.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
my vets says its okay to post and wrap newly cropped ears .but im a bit skeptical

im very confused and worried.yesterday i got my pups ear cropped.my vet has posted and wrapped the ears.bt from reading so many threads i have come to understand till the sutures come off ears should be left unwrapped.plz suggest me what should i do.should i take off the bandage and leave the ears bare.?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,554 Posts
The cut and stitched area should be left exposed so it can heal without the risk of infection. Some vets will wrap the ear so it looks posted, but if you look closely, the stitches have been left exposed. Other vets, wrongly, tape over the whole ear, including the open cuts. Which do you have?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our vet send them home in a set up that looks to be "posted", but there is actually no tape over any sutures or wounds. Our pup did very well with this, and it left all of her suture sites open to heal, as well as clean and put a little ointment on. Stick around this forum. There are TONS of helpful posts. And if you ever have a question, post a picture, and you will immediately get lots of feedback!

·
StephanieM
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input. I used the method Sam&macksmom suggested for posting Lu's ears. It worked great. I posted a picture so you guys can see the result. He healed almost perfectly. He does have some slight scarring on one ear. Just a little line of grey hair but aside from that I am very pleased with the results. According to the doctor he had "pockets" in his ears so cropping his ears in the long cut wasn't a good option so we went with military style and I'm glad because I think it looks good like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
According to the doctor he had "pockets" in his ears so cropping his ears in the long cut wasn't a good option so we went with military style and I'm glad because I think it looks good like this.
Just a comment on this piece....

Pockets, which he does have, they cause the leaning in of the ears, are 100% fixable and not going to affect ear length choice.
I'm glad you are happy with your decision but just want you to be more informed that your vet was not correct.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts