Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we got our Doberman puppy from a local breeder. He was sent to us at 6 weeks, and i am now reading that is a huge NO NO. an hour and a half after we got our puppy he was having extremely runny stools with drops of bright red blood in it. The “breeder” isn’t really helping.. at first she told us this was a side effect of the vaccines he had received the day before we got him and it wasn’t a cause for concern and now she is advising we rush him to the vet. has anyone else had this issue? what was told to them at the vet? We are planning on bringing him and getting a fecal exam done ASAP. but i just want to know what to expect..
here’s our boy Bronx <3

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Diarrhea is critical, especially in puppies as it can quickly lead to dehydration. Get the to the ER vet right now. Blood in the stool can be as simple as a ruptured anal gland but if it is bright red it can be gastrointestinal bleeding which is serious. 6 weeks is way too young to be sent home, which you now know. Please do LOTS of reading and research on (in this order) dogs (behavior, communication, etc.), puppies (how to raise them), and Dobermans (ALL the health issues, testing required, specific training needs, etc.) to ensure you are equipped mentally, physically, and financially to care for this little life who had no choice in the matter. Good luck.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
He needs to be seen sooner, rather than later. If you have an emergency clinic in your area, you should take him in. If not, call your vet to arrange for after hours care. The first thing that come to mind when I hear "puppy has bloody diarrhea" is parvo. There could be other causes, like intestinal parasites, but parvo scare the bejeebers out of me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have never had a puppy have bloody diarrhea from vaccines - no matter what breed! I agree with the others here ... get to a vet ASAP! And keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had faced a similar issue with my pet dog but instead of diarrhea he vomited and pooped worms a couple of months ago. But your dog’s condition seems to be worse ‘cause of the bloody stools, so my only recommendation will be to take him to the local vet - you can easily find one here. It’s possible he might have caught or eaten something at the local breeder.
Don’t try any kind of medicines or treatments unless you’ve consulted a vet. Also, make sure you ask the local breeder if your dog is allergic to something in particular.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts