Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What have you done to teach her her name? What have you done to teach her come? I worked recall hard with my dog and it didn't even begin to be reliable until about 7 or 8 months. It's just one of those commands that is an ongoing process. Your girl is 3 months old.. she's still a baby! Patience and persistence will get you where you need.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Definitely watch the kikkopup video. Her stuff is always amazing!

If your puppy won't come to you, don't let her outside off of the leash. That way, you can practice being exciting and calling her, and she can't get away from you.

ETA: Msmoppet's link did not work for me, but there's this one as well: Dog Training: Come When Called

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Three months is REALLY young to even begin to expect good come results. I like to play come games at that age, where it is more really of a chase kind of game using the word come as they are chasing after you. It is fun, but they learn the word come means run towards me. Starting off you are right there with the puppy, really enticing them to follow you by playing tug or excitedly offering treats, HIGH VALUE rewards and having a huge party the whole time. "Come" should always be the best thing in the world for your dog because you never know when "come" could be a life saver.

Just for kicks and grins, act like a fool, like you are having the time of your life, get some stinky (yummy) treats and run the other direction, if you notice your dog running after you you can add the word come.

Beware, the word can very easily be ruined to the point where come means something totally different to the dog than what it means to you. One of the easiest commands to ruin. Does come mean run to the fence, go sniff that tree, pick up this toy, stare at the bird, go eat some poop? To some puppies, that is what they think when they hear come because it has been overused during everyday life in which they have not associated any meaning. In these cases it leaves you with having to choose a totally different word to use in place of come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had great results with training my dogs to do off leash obedience using a 30 ft nylon training lead. I prefer using praise for their reward over treats, but when they come on the lead reward them lavishly. It's a cost and time effective training method. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
You have to make yourself the most interesting thing around, + be happy.
Number one rule in dog training Never ever call your dog to you and when they come to you get on to them,hit them, nothing negative at all does not matter if you want to ring their neck and are so mad them you could spit you can not ever show it to them.Good Luck

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yep id agree, long leads are awesome to train with because you can ket them wonder like they would off leash, but have some control still

Kikopup has a video on recall and it works a treat!

:-]

·
Registered
609 Posts
Let the puppy be a puppy, you have a lifetime with the dog to work on these things.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
I'm going to agree with the others.

1) teach your pup her name. Clicker training is great for this.

2) long line. Never tell you pup to come if you can't enforce it by a gentle tug or reeling in. Otherwise, "come" is just so much background noise.

3) happy voice. No matter how frustrated or irritated you are, once that pup even begins to come in your direction, she is the BESTEST pup in the whole wide world, and deserves to be treated as such.

4) NEVER EVER punish her after she has come to you. Whatever she did before she came to you, she has already forgotten it. All she will know is "Hey, I came, and now I'm being told off. What's the deal, I thought they wanted me to come to them?" That is a surefire way to get a dog that won't come.

A good recall won't happen over night, but it will happen.

ETA: And yes, she is a puppy, so let her act like one, but remember that now is the best time to start a good recall.

Reactions: longshot4me
1 - 11 of 11 Posts