Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I've got a 14 week old female pup, been home just a week, that constantly whines and cries for attention. I'm home all day with her, and if I'm not actively playing with her I get a whistling/whimper all day long. I'm trying to ignore it so she doesn't learn to use it. She gets exercised, and I'm almost always home with her. This whistling is driving me crazy! Will it stop? What can I do? I'm at my wits end here!
She does this in her crate too, when she wants out. It turns into a howl then, which is unacceptable. She wakes me up around 5 with this, I let her out for potty, and put her back in her crate. She cries/whistles/howls off and on for 2+ hours till I get up and let her out around 7 for the day. Once again I'm trying to ignore it, but its driving me insane!
I know I'm just going to be told this is just normal puppy behavior, but anything anyone can suggest to ameliorate this will help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a puppy issue but rather a Doberman issue. I have a 8 soon to be 9 month old male that still whines like he did the first day we got him. If I could change one thing and really it's the ONLY thing I'd change it would be the whining. Goose seems to whine about everything. He just sits in the other room and looks at me and issues either a low pitched or high pitched wimper. It drives me insane because most of the time I don't know what he wants because he whines for multiple things. I do ignore him but he's ridiculous about it and will and often does go long periods of time before stopping if he stops at all. Unfortunately it's likely never going to stop. :(

Otherwise my Goose-mon is perfect. :)

Reactions: Casandra
5,421 Posts
OLYELLER & PRIMO This is a cry for something to do, their bored with you, you offer no challenges. This is an active breed that needs exercise for the body and challanges for their minds. They need walks, long walks they need play time and training sessions. I'm not trying to be mean to both of you but your the problem, the dogs sound willing and able to get going. Do you attend training classes, can you coordinate play dates with other dogs, do you take car rides, get it going make an effort to be more active and interesting to your dogs. The issue is not Dobermanns rather boring people, when you want more you have to give more, matching this breed takes experience and an active person. When your home theres NO reason to cage a dog. Von

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'd have to agree with Von Cosack - chances are you aren't stimulating her enough. Puppies have TONS of energy and like to be challenged. She is 14 weeks old, which is a great time to start training with her. If you exercise her enough and train with her, she will be too tired to whine.

I am, however, an advocate for crates. If you are home all day with her thats great! Plenty of time for exercise and attention and training. However, I would start getting her used to the crate so that she can spend time in there when you aren't home. This way you will know she is safe and sound.

Good luck :)

Reactions: Casandra

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Primo, even though that's not what I wanted to hear! Von the pup sure is stimulated and challenged- I'm home all day with her, and subsequently have many play sessions, many short training sessions, we go for runs and walks, to the store, to friends with dogs houses, etc. I've devoted all day every day to her this past week. I just cannot engage her every minute 24/7, as certainly you or anyone other dog owner cannot do. If I stop 5 minutes to do laundry, or some work, or cook dinner, etc she gets all bent out of shape. Being home with her is spending more time with her than a lot of other owners who work out of the home, and their dogs turned out fine. I wanted to hear other new puppy owners experiences with this same behavior.
I do crate her at night. She's teething and chews everything at this point, and I can't have her loose unsupervised. It's also helping housebreak her.
Well I better get back to my drama queen now...

5,421 Posts
What are your methods in training? And how do you correct her?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Don't run with her for one! Do not ever run your dog until atleast 18 months. Also, what kind of "play sessions" I have found that wearing your dog out mentally is more advantages than physically wearing them out. But also keep in mind, that although I not sure if whining is a doberman characteristic, many dobermans have a common habit of whining and "talking"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For training I'm using positive reinforcement with liver treats, which she seems to love. I'm also using a clicker, but doesn't seem to have fully grasped that concept yet. She's doing well with all the basic commands, and we're working on reinforcing those.
Corrections are usually physically not allowing the offending behavior to occur (removing the situation), but when that's not possible a low 'No' is used. For chewing I redirect her to chew toys.

5,421 Posts
What do you do when she is directing her behavior (whinning) at you?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Although Zeus is almost four, he is a whiner too! He is an attention hound and if he is not getting it 24/7 he whines and moans......yep, drives me batty!!

I work from home so he gets LOADS of attention from myself and my clients. He gets plenty of excercise and we do sporatic training sessions throughout the day. He has no reasons whatsoever to whine....he just believes that it's all about him! lol

I am convinced it is a dobe trait....my last two dobes were whiners as well.

But then again he's used to me fawning over him whenever I'm not busy so yeah, I guess I'm a wee little bit to blame for this. :cwmddd:

Edited to add: A very firm 'ENOUGH' from me usually shuts him up for awhile...but just for awhile.....lol

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Someone on DT early on, told me that if they are barking or whining that something is going on with them and try to discover what that is and take care of it. So, since then, I've always seen her barking (very rare) and whining (very rare) are her ways of talking to me. She is very expressive and has lots of ideas. Very intense little dog, so I expect she has lots of opinions and 'feelins'!! She's processin'!! Actually, it's helped me to get to know her better. I was also told that these early weeks are for relationship building and I wanted her to know that she could depend on me and that I am here to take care of her needs. She now, is a pretty mellow girl most of the day when we are not exercising, going for car rides, hiking, training, playing, in OB classes,communicatin'! and just plain enjoying each other's company! I see the whining and other noises she makes as her way of communicating. She is never in her crate when I am home. She only sleeps in it and I think she is about ready to try being out, in our room at night. We'll see. Husband isn't as in favor of that as I am, but that's what I am advocating for and I am older than him!:wink:

5,421 Posts
Well ignoring doesn't seem to be working. Your method of training is not mine, so I can't advice you what I would do. I would suggest redirecting with a challenge, a kong toy filled with something she likes and freeze it the night before, a raw meaty knuckle bone(beef)(from the butcher cut in half) should keep her busy for hours, rotate her toys. Redirecting from something she's not supposed to chew to a toy she is supposed to chew is a mixed signal. No chewing is no chewing redirect to something that isn't chewable. Treat training is ok for certain accomblishments but when you run into problems where redirecting doesn't work your out of treats so to speak. Get her that real bone and she will be content make sure it's frozen from the butcher and just run some water over it for a few seconds and give it to her, it should give you hours of relief.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Indy only whines when we are in obedience class. I think he just likes to embarrass me. Go figure!

:biggthump

Reactions: Leizaguerra17

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ben was whiney the first couple of weeks I had him. He had plenty of exercise and stimulation. He just seemed a little unsettled in his new environment. Once he started to feel relaxed, safe and comfortable in his new home it stopped.

·
Registered
310 Posts
OLYELLER & PRIMO This is a cry for something to do, their bored with you, you offer no challenges. This is an active breed that needs exercise for the body and challanges for their minds. They need walks, long walks they need play time and training sessions. I'm not trying to be mean to both of you but your the problem, the dogs sound willing and able to get going. Do you attend training classes, can you coordinate play dates with other dogs, do you take car rides, get it going make an effort to be more active and interesting to your dogs. The issue is not Dobermanns rather boring people, when you want more you have to give more, matching this breed takes experience and an active person. When your home theres NO reason to cage a dog. Von

I've only read this post after my initial so I'm not sure what else was said however you're assuming an awful lot about me as a dog owner. Goose has a buddy that we rescued from our front door two days after thanksgiving someone dumped him and he was horribly underweight. He and Goose romp around all day and they both go on very long walks to the reservoir at the end of our road daily where I can let them off lead and they can run on the beach.

They also go everywhere with us unless we expect to be out for a extended period of time. Goose is almost never in a kennel and always has something to do. I did just order a couple of canine genius toys and since I'm new to the columbus area haven't had time to seek out additional training. Prior to getting Goose plenty of people on this site mentioned the whining and I love my Goose, it's just hard deciphering the whines. He's a active dog with a active companion and two active owners and he still whines.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I know that I had to teach Risa to NOT be with me all day. I frequently work from home, and so it's easy to have her in my office with me. I have her loose when I eat breakfast, take her up to my office while I work, and use my lunch break to give her some attention and exercise. I found that since we were spending so much time together, I really had to teach her to be alone. I also had to teach her to be alone without my other dog in the room. (Their crates are next to each other, so she's used to always having another dog next to her...even when nobody is home.) Our dogs really cannot expect us to give them our attention 24/7. This can really lead to separation anxiety. I started to notice my problem when I'd go up to my office and NOT take Risa. I also noticed it when I went out of the room with my other dog and she was left alone. (This was especially the case when I'd take my other dog out to go to the bathroom and Risa would be inside the house.) She would do the whole whining thing. I ended up having to wean her away from me and give her time in her crate when she was alone. Giving her a bone, frozen kong, etc. really helped in the beginning. For example, when I'd take Fiddler outside to go to the bathroom, I'd give her a really nice treat to munch on or play with while I was away. (She used to whine and bark when Fiddler and I left the house without her.) Gradually I started getting her used to not being always by my side.

Now my routine is to get up, eat breakfast, take her out, feed her, and put her in the crate for an hour or two. She settles down, takes a nap, and Fiddler and I go up to my office to work. I then come down to get her and bring her up with me.... so she doesn't have to spend all morning in the crate. I find that this really helps. If I don't do this and give her a little bit of time on her own... if I'm not consistent and keep it up, then the next time I step away, she starts the whining again. When I bring her into my office, I give her bones to chew and toys to play with. She usually chews and plays for a bit, and then she naps while I work. By the time it's lunchtime, she's ready for some attention, and I have some time to give it. I've bee focusing so much on working on this with Risa, that I noticed that Fiddler is now getting worse! I found that if Risa and I go up to my office without him, he gets all whiny too. I know he just wants to be with me, but he also needs to learn how to be alone. So now Fiddler gets a little time on his own while Risa and I step away. I've noticed in a short amount of time, his whining has lessened. (Perhaps you know of somebody who has two dogs, and one goes crazy when the other can’t go along? That’s something that I do NOT want.)

When the dogs are out and about, playing in the house, usually their whine means something. They have to go to the bathroom, they are bored, or they want my nice warm spot on the couch! (Fiddler is horrible about this.. always wanting to sit exactly where I'm sitting!) I find that if I give them a bit of attention, play fetch with them, let them play with each other for awhile, etc., then they settle right down. So, there are a number of things that could be going on here... Your pup could be bored or maybe just isn’t used to being alone. Also, maybe there are times when you DO respond to the whining and don't really recognize it. Even turning and looking at your dog could be a reward for the whining. I, too, try to ignore the whining.. but I do know that there are times when I accidentally reward it. Your issues might have nothing to do with mine, but these are the types of things that I’ve been doing. I’ve definitely seen improvement over time.

Reactions: ABPALASTY

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Sorry, I posted this twice by accident...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Bones

...Get her that real bone and she will be content make sure it's frozen from the butcher and just run some water over it for a few seconds and give it to her, it should give you hours of relief.
When Risa was a puppy, those big meaty bones were my SAVIOR!!!! I can't imagine life without them!

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
My 11 yr boy whines and talks at me. This is when he wants attention - usually when I am on the phone or like now when I am typing. Oops, he just stretched out and fell asleep :).

He is the ring leader that demands a run in the pasture with the sheep and once he starts, then the rest of them crowd around waiting to see if I will get my coat and shoes and take them out. This is a highly valued activity for them. Cato was a rescue who had been thru the pound a few times before he made it into rescue and then I was lucky enough to get him. Big separation anxiety issues but such a wonderful boy once we got past that. He doesn't have a bad bone in his body, but because he smiles and chatters, the various owners were afraid of him and claimed he nipped. I have had dogs that nip, but he is not one of them, and I am sure that it was a misunderstanding. Anyway, I tell him to be quiet, and he stops. I also use the 3 short pats on the top of the head to acknowledge and dismiss in a single gesture when he just comes and bugs me if I don't have time.

My puppy whistles when he needs to go out to go potty during the night since he is crated and I just get up and let him out - I don't begrudge him the need because when he comes back inside, then we have an hour or two to cuddle up in bed before I have to get up to go to work. I like that special time in the morning and so does he apparently.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts