Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rocky
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone my puppy Rocky is now 3 months and i was wondering at what age I should start traing him to go for walks? Thanks

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I started Amy at 3 months old, to drag the leash...for 2 weeks, on the grass first.
We have a small unoccupied park a 1/2 block away...so she didn't think the leash was foreign.
- and I controlled her whereabouts with my voice & much friendly talking
- I also let my girl go potty off-leash, at 8 weeks old, so controlling her with my voice gets easy
Then the off-leash pulling was less, I talked her into the speed of travel and with light corrections.

So the on-leash started at 3.5 months old here.
Good luck, with your little dobe.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Cadence started at 9 weeks, is 11 weeks now and walks beautifully (most of the time :) )

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
rocky
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i tried with my mine but hes stubborn and just sits down.. since his young i heard that i can hurt him by pulling him... i been putting the leash and letting him run around with it..

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Well i tried with my mine but hes stubborn and just sits down.. since his young i heard that i can hurt him by pulling him... i been putting the leash and letting him run around with it..
^^^^ Correct, don't pull him and the leash anymore...it doesn't help, their long boney necks.

Since puppy sits down instead of walking now:
Put leash on for a few weeks (let him drag it around, on the ground) and play ball & chase daily.
- make it a fun experience, instead

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
have you ever heard of or tried clicker training? check out kikopup on youtube, you may find her way to be very rewarding for you and your dog :)

Reactions: Adara and Dave_L

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would get into a good puppy class ASAP (for all dogs, not saying your puppy has issues). Socialization is SO important to all puppies. The more you can safely do, the better odds your dog has of being a happy well adjusted Adult dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts