Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

My new puppy actually waits until she is inside to pee, we are developing a routine of taking her out pretty much every hour to 'try', we'll bring her out with the house trained boy and let her see him pee outside and we'll even catch her in the 'about to go' position and bring her out. but time after time after time she actually holds it until she gets back into the house.

has anyone had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
15,551 Posts
The solution will probably be to spend more time outside with her and when she goes potty praise the heck out of her for it. Dobes are quick learners so she should pick it up pretty quickly. Is there snow on the ground where you are?

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
:abouttime: I spent so much time outside waiting for mine to go I finally set a CHAIR in the yard. I'm not a spring chicken. Mine did the same thing, came in and went. Finally when she saw I could out last her she went outside and I praised her like she'd just hit the lotto. Took about 2 weeks sitting in that chair, finally the time got shorter and shorter. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
What the others have said. I would not bring her back in until she has peed, that is really the only way she will know where she should go. (Don't forget the big party when she pees where she should)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
The only other thing I'd add is to possibly put her in a crate (but I'd hate for her to start peeing in her crate). I'd carry her in, put her in the crate, wait 2 minutes, try again and carry her out.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya we do the potty party when she goes outside :) lol
putting her in the crate is a good idea because she does hold it when she's in there at night. its a race for the door in the morning :)
no snow yet.
patience is key i suppose :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey I am in the same boat. My new little dobergoat doesn't like the cold at all. So I take him outside and he sniffs around and tries to eat leaves and plays a bit. Finally I think perhaps he doesn't have to go and bring him in, only for him to pee or poop soon there after. I am spoiled with previous dogs who were all super easy to house train. He loves to play with our 13 year old lab, so now what I've started to do is take him out, treat him when he pees, and then he gets to come in and play with her some more if he went to the bathroom (we have to limit his access to her because of her age). He is my first male dog and I think they may be harder to housebreak because he always seems to have pee in his bladder, he never seems to empty it fully.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
You could also trying going out on leash initially. Once the pup has gone, leash comes off and it's time for play and sniffing and fun. The leash allows you to prevent at least some of the distraction, and getting off leash afterward can be part of the reward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the great advice!! we only had 2 accidents yesterday!
my neighbors are beginning to think im nuts - every potty outside is a reason to party :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts