Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 9 week old doberman puppy who has vomited 5 times today but previous to this has not shown any health issues. He is fine immediately afterwards. He had a health check at the vet only a few days ago and was doing well.

He has chewed on a bully stick before and it was all good but this morning he was chewing on it again (it was stored at room temp in my house) and I'm not sure if that could be the cause or not because thats the only difference in his diet today.

I'm also feeding him optimum puppy at the moment as it was recommended by a vet but I don't think its a very good quality kibble so I'm trying to find one to change to. I've tried Wellness but he isn't so keen on it (eats only a few and then leaves it from a handful).

I'd really appreciate any kibble recommendations for him as I'm struggling to find one I'm confident with as I'm sure you guys are aware of all the controversy around every brand...

Also, any recommendations about the vomiting? If it continues tomorrow I'll take him to a vet but if its diet related, should I still only gradually change the kibble or completely swap it out?

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy....I would get your pup to your vet today being Saturday.
Pups are fragile.............would not want to deal with complications on a Sunday....get them to fit you in today.
Just like people....you might wait on a person thats older ...but a baby .....to many things can happen...get to vet today.

·
Got mutt?
13,655 Posts
Baby puppies that are vomiting need to go to the vet. As Lady Di said, they are fragile, and can dehydrate quickly. One thing to worry about is him having swallowed something he shouldn't have.

·
Super Moderator
21,310 Posts
I would also be going to a vet with a pup that young.

As far as food, I'd be feeding your pup whatever the breeder was feeding, for at least a month or two. Transitioning to a new home is a lot of change, and adding a food change on top of that is asking a lot for a puppy. Doesn't matter what you think of the food the breeder was feeding, I just keep feeding whatever they fed. After a couple of months, I personally feed Proplan.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Ditto for all the recommendations that you get your new puppy in to the vet today, And I'm with MeadowCat on the food issue--even if I think the breeder is feeding pure junk I'd continue to feed that for at least a month--during that month I might add stuff to the kibble like, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, and ground beef, chicken or turkey--cooked into a kind of sloppy joe consistence. I add a little to each meal (and never give more than a couple of spoonfuls but I want them to eat and keep eating.

My go to food is always Purina ProPlan Focus--mostly I feed the Sensitive Skin and Stomach (salmon and rice) but I've had good luck with the chicken as well and I don't feed puppy food, not even large breed puppy food--I feed ALS adult.

But the continual vomiting needs to be checked out first--it can be early symptoms of a virus or bacterial infection or something inedible that was eaten and got lodged.

Good luck...

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
6,170 Posts
Hi hunter and welcome from the Pacific NW. I wish it was under better circumstances.

Continuous vomiting in a young puppy needs to be addressed ASAP. Vomiting, especially if combined with diarrhea or lack of water consumption can quickly lead to dehydration. Dehydration in a young pup needs to be dealt with immediately.

So as others have said... Please take your boy to vet very soon.

Also, I no longer give my boys bully sticks "bull pizzle". I have found it way too hard on their digestive systems.

Best to you and your pup...

John
Portland OR

Edit to say: PLEASE get back to us with an update.

J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts