Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think i am pretty qualified to raise another dobie.. since i have had many dogs in my lifetime that were all well behaved.. this puppy 7 months old is no exception and maybe even better then any others i have owned.. she is smart and learns so quick.. cunning.. and uses her mind to think things through as far as trying to be a step up on the other dog..a collie.. comical and fun.. and absolutely no problem, except one.. i need help and advice about the best method to teach your dog to let you know when it is time to go out... she does not indicate it... i go out with her every few hours and praise her dearly for her routine poops and pees... give her a treat.she is doing wonderful..... but i wonder if it got to be time to go and i did not take her out would she let me know.. so far i don't see that happening.. can anyone give me some down to earth insight on how i can establish this communication.. i have never had this problem before since all my puppies were wee ones and it they just grew up knowing how to tell me.. since she only came to me at 6 months.. it is a bit different.. thanks so much..

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Granted, both my puppies came into my life at 8 weeks old & 100% potty trained in 3 weeks...to walk to the side door...when needing out.

I talk in short sentences and often ask the question:
When I walk up to the dog, I say "Amy want to go pee-pee?..Lets go outside Amy, with Dad".
Then as the pup is following me, I say "IS A GOOD GIRLY".
So I am conditioning the pup to first listen to me, learning that going outside will be fun.
I generally take the pup to the back jard for pee/poo and afterwards, we head to the front lawn sometimes...to play tennis ball...for a few minutes.
- the exact second she squarts for pee IS A GOOD GIRLY...she hears from me
- when we come back in the house...IS A GOOD GIRLY, over and over again / send the dog to mom...Amy was A GOOD GIRL mom
- so the bathroom break evolves into extra play time

As soon as the pup, starts heading to the side door (without barking) and as I see this...I start the questions & communication again.
- Amy could never be trained with a bell hanging from a door knob
- now that she is older she just barks standing in the living room, beside mom...Mom says "Amy, tell Dad if you want out"...and she will show me
(we use a lot of verbal communication...with familiar repetition, praise, play and a little wind-up...to start the wanted behaviour)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Granted, both my puppies came into my life at 8 weeks old & 100% potty trained in 3 weeks...to walk to the side door...when needing out.

I talk in short sentences and often ask the question:
When I walk up to the dog, I say "Amy want to go pee-pee?..Lets go outside Amy, with Dad".
Then as the pup is following me, I say "IS A GOOD GIRLY".
So I am conditioning the pup to first listen to me, learning that going outside will be fun.
I generally take the pup to the back jard for pee/poo and afterwards, we head to the front lawn sometimes...to play tennis ball...for a few minutes.
- the exact second she squarts for pee IS A GOOD GIRLY...she hears from me
- when we come back in the house...IS A GOOD GIRLY, over and over again / send the dog to mom...Amy was A GOOD GIRL mom
- so the bathroom break evolves into extra play time

As soon as the pup, starts heading to the side door (without barking) and as I see this...I start the questions & communication again.
- Amy could never be trained with a bell hanging from a door knob
- now that she is older she just barks standing in the living room, beside mom...Mom says "Amy, tell Dad if you want out"...and she will show me
(we use a lot of verbal communication...with familiar repetition, praise, play and a little wind-up...to start)
i have no problem with her when i go out.. she understands what i want her to do.. and she does it just fine.. and i praise her and she gets a treat.. so we have that down pat.. but my problem is will she tell me on her own that she wants to go out.. instead of me always leading the way first.. that what i want a bark like AMY... lol.. or ring the bell.. i will even take a scratch on the door.. :D not really but at least i would not and we would be communicating.. :sweat:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
if you pay real close attention im sure she is already doing something, it just may not be very noticeable

I couldn't figure Mabel's out at first and she realized she was being to subtle, she would go bump the back door...i don't hear that over tv, so now she paces and goes to door comes back, very upset, so i say "go outside?" she runs and jumps and leaps for yes and just cocks her head for no like umm why? i want to play dur

i like bells and have thought about them but know she will just use them to get let out alll day long for nothing but sunning herself or barking at neighbors

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hi lady liz - I understand she has 99% of the routine worked out...which is great (just missing walking to the door).
- first thing, only use one outside door, all the time....consistency, when training the habit

I purposely wrote the long (total) version to relate the duplication, in my personal actions / we sort of make a game out of the exercise.

Dog could be playing or laying on the couch, and we will occasionally ask Amy the question of going outside with Dad, when I am going out anyway.

Dogs are creatures of habit, so I shared how I build upon this...and every little bit helps.
- in our case, the consistency my wife and I both used works here and we sort of bait Amy with our chosen words sometimes
- so when asked to show Dad if she wants out, she will / if she needs out bad...like asap...she just barks loudly in my face...lol...I get the message

·
Registered
939 Posts
For the first 3 weeks we had Callie, there was a very rigid potty schedule.. out every hour during the day, then once or twice over night. For those first weeks, I picked her up, said Lets go potty! and carried her to the door.. then threw a huge party whenever she pottied, along with me saying "good potty!"

I gradually faded the carrying, saying go potty and she'd head for the door on her own (still making sure she went out every hour) then faded the trips to every two hours, then three...

Eventually, she'd just walk out the dog door on her own :) I can count on one hand the amount of accidents we had total. Just had to take it slow and make sure she understood- baby steps!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you pay real close attention im sure she is already doing something, it just may not be very noticeable

I couldn't figure Mabel's out at first and she realized she was being to subtle, she would go bump the back door...i don't hear that over tv, so now she paces and goes to door comes back, very upset, so i say "go outside?" she runs and jumps and leaps for yes and just cocks her head for no like umm why? i want to play dur

i like bells and have thought about them but know she will just use them to get let out alll day long for nothing but sunning herself or barking at neighbors
Maybelline is beautiful and i love the name.. i gotcha now.. in fact it just dawned on me..the one thing i have not done...is ask her ..do you want to go outside... this has become automatic.. instead of expressing myself to her.. it is weird how i have had many dogs..all easy to train.. just three years ago collie was a wee one and he was a breeze.. so it is me intimidated that she is older... and not so much the dobie..i have to TALK More.. thanks!!!!:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the first 3 weeks we had Callie, there was a very rigid potty schedule.. out every hour during the day, then once or twice over night. For those first weeks, I picked her up, said Lets go potty! and carried her to the door.. then threw a huge party whenever she pottied, along with me saying "good potty!"

I gradually faded the carrying, saying go potty and she'd head for the door on her own (still making sure she went out every hour) then faded the trips to every two hours, then three...

Eventually, she'd just walk out the dog door on her own :) I can count on one hand the amount of accidents we had total. Just had to take it slow and make sure she understood- baby steps!
i need to communicate more... in the house not just outside.. outside she knows exactly what to do.. inside she needs to hear me ask her.. thanks so much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ended up hanging a bell on the door - he picked that up within a day or two. :)
I strongly second the hanging the bell on the door idea! I was actually beginning to get a wee bit frustrated with my Diavlo after 3 weeks of making hourly potty trips with him all day long, and then 3 times at night AT LEAST but he still didn't seem to get how to tell me "MOM!! I gotta go!" Lol, so I decided to give this bell thing a try.. My hubby laughed at me, in fact, he even got my kids to chime in! Wouldn't ya know it, in 2 Days Diavlo was ringing that bell like it was cool and our potty problems were FINITO! So Diavlo and I had the last laugh on the doubters in my humble abode... :roflmao:
Diavlo was only between 11-12 wks old at that time, and I understand your gal is a bit older now. I did run into another couple at the park though with a Dane who was over a year old having these potty problems.. Wouldn't ya know it, the female half of this couple did the same thing as I did and purchased the bells.. It took 2 weeks, but once the Dane took to those bells he was good to go too. It may be worth a try! Sure was for us anyway :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes...i have a 12 week old...who has had one thing or another wrong with him since I had him. With that said, he has stomach issues which caused him to have diahrea all the time. So, potty training him is hard, I take him out every 30 minutes, he does good with the occasional mishaps in the house. So, to conclude the story...i think he is the most hard headed person (puppy) I know. I have tried everything I can think of but he simply does NOT!!!! want to listen...can anyone help with any advice on how to handle a HARD-HEADED boy??? He is a good natured baby, but really, seriously hard headed...Please, any advice....

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,424 Posts
To get a dog to listen, you need to identify something he really, REALLY loves--it could be food, certain toys, lots of praise, a chance to go outside, a chance to snuggle--whatever. And then you need to connect the thing he loves so much with what you want him to do. "Every time I do such-and-such, I get that thing I love!" He needs to get that reward immediately (if he has to wait, he may not connect the reward with the actions), and you need to throw a party, so to speak, whenever he performs well.

You need to be aware that just because he "gets your command" in one place, doesn't mean he will get it everywhere. Some places are harder than others--your quiet den in the house is relatively easy; your backyard might be a touch harder; outside at the park may be really tough; in a noisy PetsMart with lot of other dogs and interesting things to sniff may seem almost impossible. If you are in a tough place, up the ante--if you normally give him kibble, give him cheese; if you give him cheese, give him a hot dog! Up your happy reaction, too--it's like shouting louder so you can be heard over the noise of a crowd. Figuratively, that is.

That's the basics. When he really gets the idea, you won't have to give him a reward every single time you ask for a behavior; you can string several commands together before a reward; you can phase out one reward (lots of folks try to phase out food as a reward) and go to another.

Another thing--NO is a big deal to a dog. Don't call him to you to yell at him for not coming fast enough, or to be angry with him for a housebreaking accident. You need to keep him wanting to try to please you, not expect him to react quickly and happily out of fear. I use NO with a dog to stop a undesirable behavior......and then I tell him something I want him to do (and that I know he will do) right away, so he can succeed at pleasing me and get the praise he wants. "Not that, but this! YIPPEE!!!"

Some hard-headedness comes with being a baby--and a 12 week old is just a little thing--physically, compared to what he will grow to be, and mentally, compared to what he could become. Teenage dogs (10-14 months, more or less) can be hardheaded too, in the same way humans are. The baby you figure might not really know what to do, and might not have the self-control to manage your command even if he has it figured out. The teenager......figures he knows everything, and is old enough to run his own life and explore those things that you, with your puny sense of smell and lack of hearing, are too stupid to appreciate. But if you do it right, down there in their core, all dogs thrive on your attention, and will try, within their capability, to please you.

Don't give up!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To get a dog to listen, you need to identify something he really, REALLY loves--it could be food, certain toys, lots of praise, a chance to go outside, a chance to snuggle--whatever. And then you need to connect the thing he loves so much with what you want him to do. "Every time I do such-and-such, I get that thing I love!" He needs to get that reward immediately (if he has to wait, he may not connect the reward with the actions), and you need to throw a party, so to speak, whenever he performs well.

You need to be aware that just because he "gets your command" in one place, doesn't mean he will get it everywhere. Some places are harder than others--your quiet den in the house is relatively easy; your backyard might be a touch harder; outside at the park may be really tough; in a noisy PetsMart with lot of other dogs and interesting things to sniff may seem almost impossible. If you are in a tough place, up the ante--if you normally give him kibble, give him cheese; if you give him cheese, give him a hot dog! Up your happy reaction, too--it's like shouting louder so you can be heard over the noise of a crowd. Figuratively, that is.

That's the basics. When he really gets the idea, you won't have to give him a reward every single time you ask for a behavior; you can string several commands together before a reward; you can phase out one reward (lots of folks try to phase out food as a reward) and go to another.

Another thing--NO is a big deal to a dog. Don't call him to you to yell at him for not coming fast enough, or to be angry with him for a housebreaking accident. You need to keep him wanting to try to please you, not expect him to react quickly and happily out of fear. I use NO with a dog to stop a undesirable behavior......and then I tell him something I want him to do (and that I know he will do) right away, so he can succeed at pleasing me and get the praise he wants. "Not that, but this! YIPPEE!!!"

Some hard-headedness comes with being a baby--and a 12 week old is just a little thing--physically, compared to what he will grow to be, and mentally, compared to what he could become. Teenage dogs (10-14 months, more or less) can be hardheaded too, in the same way humans are. The baby you figure might not really know what to do, and might not have the self-control to manage your command even if he has it figured out. The teenager......figures he knows everything, and is old enough to run his own life and explore those things that you, with your puny sense of smell and lack of hearing, are too stupid to appreciate. But if you do it right, down there in their core, all dogs thrive on your attention, and will try, within their capability, to please you.

Don't give up!
excellent advice.. i appreciate it greatly.. no matter how long we have dogs and no matter how good we have trained in the past.. it is always good to get fresh advice .. and lots of imput.. and i thank you all.. i think we have got the situation licked.. things are working out.. and it was all easier because i listen to all of you.. reminded myself from reading.. thanks !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts