Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jetta is 5 months weighing in at 45 pounds - looking good - feeding her Purina pro plan chicken/rice - thinking of switching over to adult formula at 6 moths - thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,624 Posts
in 35 yrs of owning Dobermans I have never fed puppy food only adult formula. My dogs came home from the breeder I would continue to feed them what the breeder was feeding and then slowly switched to what I preferred. My recommendation is to check the protein level as most dobies do not do well on high protein causing loose stool. I keep the protein levels 24-26% nothing higher

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jetta is 5 months weighing in at 45 pounds - looking good - feeding her Purina pro plan chicken/rice - thinking of switching over to adult formula at 6 moths - thoughts?
First off— all dogs of any breed and size should be on puppy food for one whole year. After 12 months you should switch.
Secondly— you may run into problems feeding a chicken food, it’s a very common allergen in dogs especially with how they are raised and massed produced now a days.
Thirdly— make sure you are feeding a large breed kibble. This makes sure they are receiving the proper amount of nutrients and minerals needed to grow their big bones.
mans fourthly— we’re not a a fan of Purina. It contains a lot of fillers, usually corn, and poor quality ingredients!
hope this helps.
-Pet Store Supervisor.

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
First off— all dogs of any breed and size should be on puppy food for one whole year. After 12 months you should switch.
Secondly— you may run into problems feeding a chicken food, it’s a very common allergen in dogs especially with how they are raised and massed produced now a days.
Thirdly— make sure you are feeding a large breed kibble. This makes sure they are receiving the proper amount of nutrients and minerals needed to grow their big bones.
mans fourthly— we’re not a a fan of Purina. It contains a lot of fillers, usually corn, and poor quality ingredients!
hope this helps.
-Pet Store Supervisor.
Can't bring myself to 'like' that reply. I've had Dobes most of the time since 1959--that pretty much predates any kind of puppy food that would be suitable for a large breed puppy. None of the breeders of anything bigger than about a Springer Spaniel back in the day, fed puppy food. Encouraged growth too fast for bigger dogs. So puppies got fed adult food when they were beyond home made gruel to supplement their mothers milk supply.

Secondly--I think a whole lot of stuff that gets identified as a food allergy isn't. I've never had a dog allergic to anything except a Dobe who turned out to be allergic to egg whites--so the other Dobe got all the egg whites and the dog who broke out in hives within minutes of eating egg white got the yolk only and the other dog got all the egg whites. And my preference when it comes to a protein source is actually fish.

Third I fed large breed puppy kibble for several years but found that switching puppies to adult kibble at four, five or six months worked just fine--in fact better than regular or large breed puppy kibble. My solution has pretty much been to rely on imperical evidence--if they look good and feel good then the food works for them and that's what I feed.

Fourth Purina is one of the few brands that I have a lot of faith in. Why? Because they have been mass producers of all kinds of animal feeds for years. And they've done well with this over the years. They actually employ nutritionists and vets to determine what goes into their foods and actually maintain a colony of dogs to which formulas are fed to make sure that various formulas do what they (Purina) say they will do. There are a limited number of other companies that o much the same thing but there are all too many food manufacturers that don't and rely on computers and sales type advertising to sell their products.

So I'll keep on feeding Purina products from the ProPlan lines (either the salmon or chicken based formulas) until such time that they no long seem to give me healthy, energetic dogs.

Just as a side note--wild canids of most varieties are hunting and eating what they can catch and kill by the time they are a year. And between the time they are weaned (because their mothers no long have sufficient milk for a growing puppy) they are eating what the adults eat--caught and provided to them by their mothers. There is really no evidence that puppies need to eat a specially formulated 'puppy' food until they are a year old.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Hi rottien

Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Ist: Yes... I have fed puppy formula for a year+ with no problem. That was pretty much because my boy was doing fine on it and I was too lazy to transition to adult dry food. I would not, even remotely, consider it necessary. My son's 13 month old Dobe has been fed adult kibble since Day1, also with no problems

2nd: One should never worry about allergies until they occur. I have never had a Dobe allergic to chicken, eggs or chicken by products of any kind. Sheesh... look at all the Dobes that have common contact allergies (Which are WAY more common than food allergies), such as certain grasses. Would you keep your dog indoors all the time on the mere possibility of him/her developing a contact allergy?

3rd: I like your use of Empirical evidence with respect to actual experience and observations when it come to a dog's diet. Most folks here agree with that principal. In fact, I am going to use it to disagree with your 4th point:

4th: This is a forum dedicated to one particular breed. Many of the topics revolve around the actual care and well being of Dobermans as that specific breed. As you might guess, the subject of feeding and nutrition commonly arises. That being said, and given the obvious fact that canine nutrition is an extremely controversial and debatable topic.... Anecdotally, the vast majority of Doberman owners that contribute here, and feed Purina ProPlan (myself included), find that their Dobermans do remarkably well on any number of PPP's various formulas. So basically, based on the overwhelming "Empirical evidence", Purina ProPlan kibbles should absolutely be included in anyone's list of possible foods, should they be planning on using a dry kibble as their Doberman's main nutritional and caloric source.

My Current 7 yo was fed Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy before being transitioned to Acana Meadowlands (Made with chicken, turkey and eggs!) He did very well on that diet. I took him off Acana after being extremely disappointed with Champion Foods' whole handling of the Grain free/DCM issues. At that point, based other Dobe owner recommendations, I put him on PPP Salmon and Rice. He has now been fed PPP as his main food source for over 4 years and he does wonderfully on it in every sense. Health, skin and coat, digestion and elimination. Absolutely the perfect kibble for him.

One last thought: I got my first Doberman in 1974 and he lived a long (for Dobes) and healthy life. Do you have any idea what kibbles were available almost 50 years ago? Let's put it this way... Their customer base was most likely generated primarily from the "catchiness" of their advertising jingles:

Musical Notes on Apple My dog's bigger than yur dog... My dog's bigger than yurs... My dog's bigger cuz he eats Kenn L Ration. My dog'd bigger than yurs!

LOL

Just my experiences and, of course, my opinions

John L.

Portland OR

·
Registered
19 Posts
To add, I trust Purina because they have the money and the decades of research with in-house veterinary nutritionists to ensure their food is actually formulated properly- they do lifetime feeding trials on dogs and cats to corroborate this. It one of the 4? companies to meet WSAVA standards for dog food with no linkage to dietary induced DCM (heart disease). I feel better knowing that professional dog associations, veterinarians, nutritionists, and breeders trust the food that I feed my pup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts