Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy still has her baby canine teeths and permanent ones are erupting next to them on inside, is that normal or shall I take her to the vet for baby teeth removal? Vet's office is closed for today so will call them in the morning.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
It's pretty normal. It wouldn't hurt to check that her adult teeth are coming in properly, though. And if the baby canines don't come out on their own by about seven or eight months, the vet might need to go ahead and pull them.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
How old is your puppy?

I had that situation happen with two of my dobermans. Basically the doc told me to try to wiggle it around a bit (gently) over a couple of weeks and see if I could get it to loosen up and fall out on its own. He ended up extracting the teeth for one of them. It wasn't a huge huge surgery, because by that time the baby tooth doesn't have much of a root, but it was done under anesthesia.

It is important to remove the tooth once it's clear it's not going to fall out on its own. The retained tooth can cause the adult teeth to settle in out of place and interfere with the dog's bite, maybe even push on the roof of the mouth or gums and cause sores. Food can get trapped between the teeth because usually they are very close together and cause decay.

·
Super Moderator
26,284 Posts
She's still young then. You can wait until she's about 6 1/2 months old to see if that tooth will fall out. If it doesn't, then a vet visit is necessary for sure.

In the meantime, I said you can try to wiggle it a bit. GENTLY. Don't actually try to move it all over the place or pull it if it doesn't seem to be loosening up--if it is not falling out on its own, it may still have a longer root than it should (the roots of baby teeth start to resorb during the process of teething--that's basically the reason they can fall out when it is time) You definitely don't want to risk breaking off the tip of the root in the dog's gum.

I am not a vet though. I've had that happen with my dogs, but I'm not actually looking at your dog to see what is going on in his mouth. If you have any questions and are concerned or if it looks like there is inflammation or sore spots developing, go ahead and check with your vet. They're the ones who are trained and there in person, after all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The same thing happened to my guy's canines. They grew in like that for like a month and a half and then one day the baby ones were just gone. I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Super Moderator
26,284 Posts
Halfway there. :)
She's young yet--it probably won't be a problem for you.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Hey! Who is the expert in the matter. Can someone give a personal consultation? write to direct!
In all honesty, your vet is the expert in the matter. Please call them.

Reactions: db903
1 - 11 of 11 Posts