Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Russell & Rex
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so me and rex wer playing tug earlier On the tiled floor and after we had been playing it i noticed blood on my hand after rubbing under his chin and Mouth for being a good sport and Sitting for Me! I looked across the floor and Seen a White object lying on the floor when i went over to it i realised it was A tooth didnt seem to cause any pain etc so i take it this is normal?? Even for around 17 weeks?? I know they lose their teeth and get a New Set Of adult Teeth just like Humans!

Also some one Told Me To not Let a Dog win tug as this can create issues in the future?? True or a loada cow patt??

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Ok so me and rex wer playing tug earlier On the tiled floor and after we had been playing it i noticed blood on my hand after rubbing under his chin and Mouth for being a good sport and Sitting for Me! I looked across the floor and Seen a White object lying on the floor when i went over to it i realised it was A tooth didnt seem to cause any pain etc so i take it this is normal?? Even for around 17 weeks?? I know they lose their teeth and get a New Set Of adult Teeth just like Humans!

Also some one Told Me To not Let a Dog win tug as this can create issues in the future?? True or a loada cow patt??
I let my dog win tug quite often, no one wants to play a game that you always lose! She does have a good "give" command though, and will give the tug as soon as I ask her to.

Elsie lost a few teeth playing tug, perfectly normal. Don't go around purposely trying to rip teeth out or anything, but your pup is going to lose them somehow :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I tried to find you another thread about the tug but couldnt find it. From what I remember of that thread most people do let their dogs win. Kyrah wins all the time but also has a great drop it when I want it back. Wish her bring it was a bit better. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Yes - Yes - Yes....let the dog win at tug...every time (sometimes quick and next time slower).
- variety is fun & dog learn more / that master controls the timing of the dogs win
- and if dog play growls while engaged, so much the better / dog is talking to you, because your a fun person...in its life
Great way to build the bond, drive & eye focus...A+ activity, in my books...dog love and respect you, for their quality play time.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I'm glad Beaumont mentioned the puppy growling during play. So many new owners think their 9 or 10 wk old pups next move after the play growl is to rip their throat out and then feast on their dead mangled body.:) That is funny if it wasnt so sad for the puppy, because we have seen people punish a pup for doing what comes naturally during play. People who tell you to not let a pup win at tug dont understand dogs. I let Parker win pretty well 100% of the time and I can always get scarey sounding growls out of him at nearly 5 yrs of age. ///// Your pup is nearing the end of teething most likely. Congrats on getting a tooth. I like to save baby teeth and never found one of Parkers. Just dont do any hard jerking as it is possible to break a tooth off, leaving the root. I always just let the pup do the pulling while young. You dont want to do any hard jerking of the neck ever either. Have fun with your pup. The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller is a great book to get the best relationship with your pup.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Diesel always wins at tug unless he accidently let's go then I win haha but I always let him win so let your pup win. Its no fun for him to loose all the time and doesnt help his confidence.

Diesel lost plenty of teeth playing tug or chewing on other toys all the sudden I'd find a tooth. I have 7! Just yesterday I found one in our bed haha it's completely normal and he's 21 weeks. I'm hoping that he's pretty much done.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Oh yeah. A few puppy teeth went flying (literally!) during teething and I tossed out a handful of Fiona's toys around that time because the blood was too gross for me to deal with, even after washing them. The stains made them look dirty. Not that she cared. :)

And I completely agree with Beaumont67 about tugging, play, growling - all of it. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Your pup is nearing the end of teething most likely. Congrats on getting a tooth. I like to save baby teeth and never found one of Parkers.
The OP's pup is seventeen weeks old... I would assume that he has just started teething, not that he is almost done.

I like finding puppy teeth, too, except for the one I found with my bare foot pointy-side up in the carpet... ouch!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks ZR...I too...really like the Youtube video's from Leerburg.com & Michael Ellis work.
I have linked them directly (from your post), in order to load successfully...and added one more with tug, in the middle of the taping.
Tooth count - I have one baby tooth (DNA saved...He-he) of Amy's...never found any from my first dobe Tanya.

Michael Ellis Talks on Playing Tug with Young Puppies
Michael Ellis Talks on Playing Tug with Young Puppies - YouTube

Michael Ellis on Selecting Tug Toys for Puppies
Michael Ellis on Selecting Tug Toys for Puppies - YouTube

quote - Engagement is a learned skill, and is the most important thing you can do with your puppy.
Keeping Your Puppy Engaged with Michael and Cappy
Keeping Your Puppy Engaged with Michael and Cappy - YouTube

P.S. - I also play with my pups muzzle & teeth sometimes, when it is play growling...holding a tug toy.
It helps when we train soft bite control.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Mmctaq, most pups, actually every pup I have had has begun teething at 12 weeks and is nearing finish at 5 to 6 months of age, depending on the individual pup, of course. So a pup at 17 weeks is jus 3 weeks shy of 20 weeks or right on top of 5 months, no where near the beginning of teething. Pups loose those incisors first and quickly, then the premolars go, back molars and lastly canines. I have seen on this board that some pups take till 7 months, but I have never had one take that long. Its just semantics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts