Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this question on DPDF before, but there are more people over here that I haven't heard from previously on this subject.

What supplements do you give to puppies? I've had C and E (250mg 2x daily for C and 200mg 2x daily for E) recommended to strengthen ear cartilage, and a probiotic like FastTrack to settle bellies. Anything else?

Thanks! :wavey:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I used glucosamine while posting ears (1000mg daily).

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I don't give puppies any supplements at all, just a good diet.
I agree - I don't start supplements till they are a little bit older........ I'm trying to remember how old - uggghhh my memory stinks. Then it is C, E, and fish oil. For seniors (I don't have any right now) I do the glucosomine (sp?), and then add the MSM when they get to the point of needed a little more.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I agree - I don't start supplements till they are a little bit older........ I'm trying to remember how old - uggghhh my memory stinks. Then it is C, E, and fish oil. For seniors (I don't have any right now) I do the glucosomine (sp?), and then add the MSM when they get to the point of needed a little more.
Yeah, I do give Cole the glucosamine with MSM, but not the chondroitin (sp?). Read that chondroitin does nothing for them.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I give Fish Oil, E, SeaMeal, MSM and fastrack if they need it. Sometimes I give flaxseed oil instead of fish oil. Oh, and I have heard that Ester-C is better than regular C. Might want to read up on it and decide for yourself what you think is best though.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Well, I dont know how much your puppy weighs, but Ziris has been getting one fish oil capsule since she was about 4 months old. (1000mg) One E (200mg) I have also read that mixed tocopherol E is better than d-alpha tocopherol E. E is what helps their body absorb the good stuff from the oils. The seameal goes off of weight also, 1/2 tsp for a 25-50lb dog, and the MSM is 1/8 tsp per day per 30lbs. As far as the Vitamin C, I would start out small, and work my way up. Any excess C will run through their system, and if you give to much to fast, they will get the runs. Good Luck!

·
Banned
675 Posts
I don't give any supplements. I've never supplemented a puppy, whether Doberman, IG, or GSD. I don't think they need them, a good diet should contain all they need, and adding a bunch of stuff could cause issues, but if it doesn't, I still think it's unneccessary. People want to "do" things for their puppies, but it really isn't necessary to give them supplements, unless they're getting a poor diet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts