Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Canela
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this topic has been touched on previously, but they are quite outdated. I was able to diagnose my new Red Doberman puppy Canela (5wks) extremely early with puppy strangles, after reading some of the posts on this site. Here are the signs that Canela had displayed:

- Extreme initial buildup in both ears
- Upon cleaning, ears filled with small bumps
- Later, bumps became pustules like pimples inside of ears
- Pimples on face (one on eye, several on bridge of nose, a few on her muzzle, one on each side of the lip- the part that hangs the lowest, one on the inside of her gums, shoulders, back of thighs, cheeks)
- Not yet lethargic. Eating, drinking, playing normally
- Limbs not yet affected

The real clue here is the fact that she has pimples both in her ears AND on her face at this point. This is not to say that your puppy may not have a double ear infection and puppy pimples. However, it is easier to bring this up to the vet FIRST, instead of having to undergo hundreds of dollars in tests for bacteria, yeast, mites, demodex, etc. before coming to this conclusion. If you notice these signs BEFORE the swelling and hair loss begin, you are saving your pup from a lot of pain and trouble.

In case you do not want to do your own further research, puppy strangles has unknown causes, is a response by the immune system (it is quite weak at this age,) is not contagious, and once it's gone it will not return or cause any further damage. If you catch it early on, you have a higher chance of defeating it with antibiotics alone, but afterward you will probably need prednisone. Prednisone can cause serious issues in bone growth for dobermans, as well as other breeds (more so for puppies, obviously.)

If you spot irritation in the ears along with pimples on the puppy's face/body, please see a vet to rule out puppy strangles ASAP!!!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
lordy...i've gotta ask why you took this dog home when it obviously had so many issues. :(

·
Registered
6,607 Posts

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Well, I see you've been on the forum, OP.

Are you choosing not to answer about the vet...because the answer is "No"?

If this pup has not yet seen the vet, PLEASE take her to a good one, asap.

I also posed you some questions on your intro thread, and am genuinely curious as to the answers.

Folks here will not blame your pup, will care about your pup, and will help you as needed with your pup, but it's a two-way street, and respectfully engaging in this dialogue really benefits everyone.

·
Canela
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replies

We did not see any problems before we took her home. The pimples started emerging shortly after. Yes, she's seen a vet. The vet gave me a high five for knowing what was wrong. The first vet was young and said a double ear infection, but I came back and saw a more well seasoned vet who knew her stuff and verified my diagnosis! :)

Sorry for the late replies... I needed sleep and I had a long day, also.

·
Canela
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weird replies...

I also wanted to add, that I am not really on here to look for advice, unless you have some remedies that would soothe any of the symptoms.

I was merely posting this so that if somebody is in the same situation as I was, they hopefully will be able to find my post and it may aid in early diagnosis if they identify the symptoms properly. Believe me, my pup is taken care of and is as well as she can be (despite the strangles,) but thanks for the concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts