Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Our boy just turned 17 weeks old yesterday. We've had him since July 17th. We started him out on Purina Large Breed Dog Chow at the suggestion of our breeder and slowly moved to Purine Pro Plan Puppy Focus Large Breed on the advice of our Vet. He's been on PPP for a month or more.

Last Wednesday, he was up nearly every hour with watery stools - yellow in color. I assumed it was a new brand of treats and eliminated those from his diet and started a chicken and white rice diet to help firm things up. His stool seemed to be moving in a better direction, so I used some PPP as a training reward a day later and he was again up at night with loose stools.

We continued with the chicken/rice and he seemed to be doing a bit better, although stools were still soft, but not watery. I added in about a cup of kibble with chicken and rice last night for his dinner and he was up last night with the watery stools, some were yellow, others dark brown and with some mucus.

We've switched back to chicken and rice this morning and I added in a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin. We have a vet appointment tomorrow, but I'm starting to wonder if it's the PPP he's suddenly having an aversion to.

Before this, he was having a bowel movement at 6am, after his breakfast and again after dinner and it was totally normal/formed. He's teething pretty heavily right now and has lost ~6 teeth or so. I didn't know if that may be a factor or not.

Just looking for advice or if anyone has experienced anything similar.

·
Big Lil pup
6,992 Posts
Hi whitney. Welcome from the Pacific NW

Personally, I doubt it is the food. But any internet option you get here will be moot once you get your pup to the vet. Be sure to take a current/fresh stool sample. Generally, when our young puppies have had diarrhea or seriously over active bowels, it has been parasites. My son's current pup came home with an intestinal tract infection. I think it may have been coccidia. He was a was aware of it when he picked him up. But he and the breeder are very familiar with each other and she knows he has an excellent family vet, so she was comfortable sending him home with the little guy. With a quick vet visit and a modest regime of appropriate meds, it cleared up in a few days.

Let's know what you find out. And post a few pictures of your new boy!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi whitney. Welcome from the Pacific NW

Personally, I doubt it is the food. But any internet option you get here will be moot once you get your pup to the vet. Be sure to take a current/fresh stool sample. Generally, when our young puppies have had diarrhea or seriously over active bowels, it has been parasites. My son's current pup came home with an intestinal tract infection. I think it may have been coccidia. He was a was aware of it when he picked him up. But he and the breeder are very familiar with each other and she knows he has an excellent family vet, so she was comfortable sending him home with the little guy. With a quick vet visit and a modest regime of appropriate meds, it cleared up in a few days.

Let's know what you find out. And post a few pictures of your new boy!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Thank you so much for your response, John! I wondered if it could be that or giardia. When we first brought him home, he was having loose stool and we brought a sample to the vet and they said there were no parasites present. Something could have definitely changed. He will eat grass sometimes and I'm wondering if he may have contracted something from that.. we try and deter, but you know, puppies. Here are some pictures of our boy, Apollo!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Sometimes with giardia it's hard to get a definite diagnosis because the parasite is not always passed with every bowel movement. If it's suspected they will usually ask you to get the first morning stool and get it in to be checked as soon as possible.

Coccidia is also a culprit when it comes to intermittent diarrhea and neither will show up in the common fecal test which usually only would identify round worm, hook worm or whip worm.

I'd discuss those as possiblities with your vet. I too doubt it's the food--sounds more like parasites of one sort or another.

Good luck figuring it out and we're always interested in what the problem turns out to be.

He's sure cute and his ears a re looking good.

dobebug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes with giardia it's hard to get a definite diagnosis because the parasite is not always passed with every bowel movement. If it's suspected they will usually ask you to get the first morning stool and get it in to be checked as soon as possible.

Coccidia is also a culprit when it comes to intermittent diarrhea and neither will show up in the common fecal test which usually only would identify round worm, hook worm or whip worm.

I'd discuss those as possiblities with your vet. I too doubt it's the food--sounds more like parasites of one sort or another.

Good luck figuring it out and we're always interested in what the problem turns out to be.

He's sure cute and his ears a re looking good.

dobebug
Thank you - i'm going to try and collect a stool before we go in tomorrow, it's been hard because it's been super inconsistent from when he's normally going :/

Should we still continue with chicken, rice and pumpkin until then? I guess it couldn't hurt. Poor guy, I just feel awful for him.. hopefully they can figure out what's going on.

·
Premium Member
11,574 Posts
Welcome to DT 887 . I totally agree with John - Your best bet is get him to the Vets asap along with a fresh poop .

Good luck AND make sure you keep us up-dated : )))

Doc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to DT 887 . I totally agree with John - Your best bet is get him to the Vets asap along with a fresh poop .

Good luck AND make sure you keep us up-dated : )))

Doc
Thank you! I will keep you all updated, he's going first thing in the AM :)

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Thank you - i'm going to try and collect a stool before we go in tomorrow, it's been hard because it's been super inconsistent from when he's normally going :/

Should we still continue with chicken, rice and pumpkin until then? I guess it couldn't hurt. Poor guy, I just feel awful for him.. hopefully they can figure out what's going on.
One of the reasons that you want to get a diagnosis and get the problem cleared up so that you don't have to feed just chicken and rice to get a normal or near normal stool even some of the time, is because as an ongoing diet it really doesn't have all the things a puppy needs.

And for the record pumpkin will only help diarrhea and/or soft stool when the dog need more fiber in the diet--that's basically what the point of using pumpkin is. Any winter squash will do pretty much the same thing but then you have to find and hack up a giant squash and cook it in order to feed that to the puppy. At least pumpkin comes in a can you can buy at the grocery store.

Good luck...

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,472 Posts
Seems like I remember from my people lab days that one reason giardia is hard to find in a sample is that it is only shed intermittently. It causes the symptoms when it is being shed, hence the best sample to examine for its presence is a runny one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the reasons that you want to get a diagnosis and get the problem cleared up so that you don't have to feed just chicken and rice to get a normal or near normal stool even some of the time, is because as an ongoing diet it really doesn't have all the things a puppy needs.

And for the record pumpkin will only help diarrhea and/or soft stool when the dog need more fiber in the diet--that's basically what the point of using pumpkin is. Any winter squash will do pretty much the same thing but then you have to find and hack up a giant squash and cook it in order to feed that to the puppy. At least pumpkin comes in a can you can buy at the grocery store.

Good luck...

dobebug
Thank you - i'll report back, hopefully we will know more soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like I remember from my people lab days that one reason giardia is hard to find in a sample is that it is only shed intermittently. It causes the symptoms when it is being shed, hence the best sample to examine for its presence is a runny one.
I will try and collect a morning sample if runny.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Thank you so much for your response, John! I wondered if it could be that or giardia. When we first brought him home, he was having loose stool and we brought a sample to the vet and they said there were no parasites present.
Giardia and coccidia won’t show up on the usual fecal panel run by the vet. You may have to specicfically ask the vet to test for them.
My boy had similar issues and after 2 fecal panels, I asked about giardia so they tested and it was. Treated with metronidazole and he was right as rain.
Good luck! It can be maddening to get the full story on puppy poop and find the solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Giardia and coccidia won’t show up on the usual fecal panel run by the vet. You may have to specicfically ask the vet to test for them.
My boy had similar issues and after 2 fecal panels, I asked about giardia so they tested and it was. Treated with metronidazole and he was right as rain.
Good luck! It can be maddening to get the full story on puppy poop and find the solution.
Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to try and get a stool sample and will specifically mention these two. It worries me because he's still so young, but it sounds like it's fairly treatable once it's detected.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I was so concerned because my boy Had explosive diarrhea for days which I thought was the stress of travel, then a change in climate, then general puppy tummy. So I got him on a tried and true solution of canned pumpkin which made his poop better but after 2 days of pumpkin we were right back to the screaming poops.
After demanding the vet check for giardia and the subsequent medicine, he had no issues. An easy fix one you know the cause.

PS - Apollo looks like a darling boy - a little stinker, but a total darling!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was so concerned because my boy Had explosive diarrhea for days which I thought was the stress of travel, then a change in climate, then general puppy tummy. So I got him on a tried and true solution of canned pumpkin which made his poop better but after 2 days of pumpkin we were right back to the screaming poops.
After demanding the vet check for giardia and the subsequent medicine, he had no issues. An easy fix one you know the cause.

PS - Apollo looks like a darling boy - a little stinker, but a total darling!
Thank you!! He is a very smart, sweet boy - a little land shark with those teeth, but he's been the best addition to our family. We are smitten :)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Puppy poops (and poops and poops) and mama screams... 😄
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
screaming poop, screaming mama, screaming fits - who remembers when they are sleeping sweetly by your side, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, everyone! Thanks for all your replies. Apollo came home from the vet yesterday with some diarrhea meds and royal canine sensitive tummy food. Luckily, I was also able to send in a morning stool sample. I just called the vet and unfortunately his stool sample did come back as coccidia.

I'm glad we have a diagnosis. They should be prescribing meds for pickup later today.

·
Big Lil pup
6,992 Posts
Hi Whitney.

Getting a proper diagnosis was the important part. Coccidia in puppies is pretty easily treated once identified.
Thanks for the update. Hugs to Apollo. And let us know when he is all better.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts