Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Axel is a red and 9 weeks. His rash is on the under side of his neck and a little in his armpits. Could it be an allergic reaction to his nylon harness? He has an appointment next week for his next set of shots then, so I am going to ask then too. I am just trying to see if anyone has anything similar to this.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm not a vet- and its best to go to a vet for medical advice, but those look like hives from an allergy to me. Could be from anything.. your laundry detergent, seasonal stuff, food, etc.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Is that where the harness comes into contact with the skin? If it is, then those bumps could indeed be an allergy to the harness. Try a leather one and see if it works better for you. If those bumps spread after no more exposure, off to the vet with your pup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. Axel's bumps did end up spreading to chest area, right after playing outside. The vet was already closed, so I called the Emergency vet and they suggested a cold bath. That seemed to help, he is not itchy. But we will see our vet in the morning. If a puppy has allergies, can they out grow them?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
He is very young to really be showing any allergies. Be careful and dont let the vet give a vaccination with a bunch of unnecessary vaccines like kennel cough, lepto, giardia. Do a search on here or Google for Dr Dodd's Vaccination Protocol and dont let your vet give but what she says, unless your area has high risk. Study up on what you need in your area. Dont let them sell you vaccinations every year after your pup is grown as they are not needed. Vaccinations stress a young puppy's immune system and are thought to cause the immune system to over react resulting in allergies, which are immune responses. When was your pups last shots and what all did it cover?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We saw the vet this morning, it ended up being a bacterial infection on his skin. They gave me Simplicef, 25mg every 24 hours and Pharmaseb Shampoo, 2 times a week for two weeks. Why would a puppy get a bacteria infection of the skin? The vet just explained it as something puppies can get. But then I read that it could also be signs of thyroid problems. I really hope that is not the case. But if that is the case what is management of it like?

·
Registered
771 Posts
If he ends up having a thyroid issues he will need to be on medication for the rest of his life. When he gets a little older I would have a thyroid panel done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts