Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Fitzmar Dobermans 
#1 ·
Hi all, thank you for taking your time to read this. I am a new Doberman puppy owner ( puppy in the red collar) and have so many question, most of the answer to these questions I have found online but I need assistance with determining if my “American Doberman” puppy has a normal frame for his age ( 9 weeks old) And if this will affect his appearance when older. I am asking because he has a thicker & shorter neck and a bit of a bigger body build than the other puppies in his litter.

Should I be concerned about his size? And if so from those who have experience with puppies like this in the litter (bigger in size, thicker features) do they eventually grow into their form? (Longer neck, good frame, ect). I obtained him from a reputable breeder and the breeder has been great so far but I need an extra set of eyes since I don’t know many people who know much about “American Doberman” pups.

I am attaching an image of one of the other pups in his litter for comparison
View attachment 139048

I was assigned the red collared puppy above.

View attachment 139049
The other puppies in his litter look similar to this gold collared pup (defined & longer neck, but of a slimmer frame

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi! Welcome to DT from Colorado.

To some extent, puppy size doesn't necessarily mean that he will stay that way as he matures. I mean, the runt of the litter may even outgrow the others as he matures. Your pup looks a bit tubbier than the other puppy 😉 so that may be all you're seeing. They also look a bit younger than 9 weeks in your picture.

But he'll grow into what he'll grow into. And unless you're planning on showing your pup in conformation, you're not likely to see that much of a difference when they are both adult.

He's obviously all doberman, and cute to bat.

#3 ·
I highly doubt your boy will look like anything but a normal Doberman male when he matures. So much can affect puppy pictures, especially to an untrained eye. Collar placement, whether a puppy just ate, and has a fully belly, whether they are the heavier puppy out of the litter, small conformational differences... Don't stress, just enjoy the puppy picked for you! Unless you are buying a show pup, I sure wouldn't worry about any of this stuff at all.

#12 ·
Hi! Welcome to DT from Colorado.

To some extent, puppy size doesn't necessarily mean that he will stay that way as he matures. I mean, the runt of the litter may even outgrow the others as he matures. Your pup looks a bit tubbier than the other puppy 😉 so that may be all you're seeing. They also look a bit younger than 9 weeks in your picture.

But he'll grow into what he'll grow into. And unless you're planning on showing your pup in conformation, you're not likely to see that much of a difference when they are both adult.

He's obviously all doberman, and cute to bat.
Thank you!

#7 ·
Typically a user cannot delete a post; only edit it. If you don't want your text to show, you've done about all you can to get rid of it. We mods can, but it is DT policy not to move a thread out of view unless there are extraordinary reasons for it.

Do you think we could put up something in the place of your original post so the following posts will make sense? Other readers may be interested in the answers that we gave you.

I could put up something like this:
"I just recently got a puppy, but I am concerned that he looks more heavily built than the pictures I've seen of his siblings; he has a thicker and shorter neck for example. Should I worry?"

Or maybe you would like to give me a sentence or two I could enter in place of your original post? There'd be no need to repost your pictures (though we love pictures here.) But whatever I typed in would be under your user name, so if you'd rather not, that's fine too.

At any rate, I hope you stick around; there is a wealth of knowledge here. And you may need every extra bit of advantage you can get over him. LOL Dobes are wicked smart. 😄

#10 ·
Thank you all! sorry about that, I was trying to multi task on my phone while working and updated the post.
Here is the picture of the puppy, He is an all American Doberman. I was a bit curious about his size in correlation to his growth since I am a first time Doberman owner & the rest of his litter was a bit slimmer in size.

thank you for all who have helped answer my questions! and apologies on the duplicate efforts.

#13 ·
He is adorable! Nothing like a chubby puppy!!
When I was on my Doberman odyssey, late last autumn, I saw all the litter mates and was assigned my boy. He looked smaller than the others but I assumed it was due to the camera angles being slightly different for each photo, the fact that some pups had their necks stretched to reach the treat being held in front of them, time of day, etc.
Today (about to be 10 months) my boy is 85 pounds, just over 29” at the shoulder and affectionately known by my neighbors as the “pony puppy”. Your pup looks like a wonderful adult-to-be and, as long as he is healthy with a sound temperment, you will have a wonderful Doberman companion.
More photos of your pupper, please!

#18 ·
He is adorable! Nothing like a chubby puppy!!
When I was on my Doberman odyssey, late last autumn, I saw all the litter mates and was assigned my boy. He looked smaller than the others but I assumed it was due to the camera angles being slightly different for each photo, the fact that some pups had their necks stretched to reach the treat being held in front of them, time of day, etc.
Today (about to be 10 months) my boy is 85 pounds, just over 29” at the shoulder and affectionately known by my neighbors as the “pony puppy”. Your pup looks like a wonderful adult-to-be and, as long as he is healthy with a sound temperment, you will have a wonderful Doberman companion.
More photos of your pupper, please!
Thank you for your feedback! This is super helpful
your puppy will be a beautiful dog.
thabk you so much!

#16 ·
Is the picture of your puppy at 9 weeks? I just spent several hours yesterday with some 9 week old puppies--they looked a good bit more mature than the puppy in your picture. What's his date of birth?

Puppies change so radically from around 8 weeks to 6 months that even though I've been looking at Doberman puppies for many years and I am trying to help grade a litter for show prospects I don't even try to guess what a puppy from any line that I might not be familiar with is going to turn out at maturity.

dobebug

#22 ·
GK, Just sent you a PM about this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.