Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mojo Risin'
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DBTalk, so I have had my doberman(Morrison) for about 3 weeks now. I got him when he was a day shy of 6 weeks. He is now 8 weeks and 3 days old. I did not want to take him until he was eight weeks but I did not want him to die. The breeder was a bad one, I just couldn't leave him there. The dad was a beautiful red doberman, imported from Yugoslavia ( He actually showed me the papers) the mother a nice black dobie. The next day I took him to the vet, not good news. Full of worms and Coccidia. One he passed the worms, his little pot belly resembled that of an emaciated pup. He kept on have diarrhea,and lost him appetite. So I took him back to the vet and he gave Morrison more medicine for Coccidia and vitamins. He is much better now. Eating has improved dramatically, but what worry's me is that he looks bloated after he eats, is this normal?. He also seems a bit small for eight weeks, i haven't measured him yet but will tonight. Does anyone know how big he is supposed to be? Going to get his ears cropped at the vet, what would be the best way (once they're are cropped) for him not to scratch or try to remove his posts? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum. What a sad story!

Sorry I can't be of any help, but wishing him all the best. Are you sure you want to put him through crop surgery, considering his bad start and condition? What did the vet say about that?

·
Mojo Risin'
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said once he gains a bit more weight he would consider it. After the medicine and vaccines, Morrison is looking like a total different pup since I brought him home. I am actually going to take him in on Thursday for a check up, ill ask him then. I really do love his big ears, but if all goes well I will still have to think about it. Plus vet bills are piling up, but as long as he is healthy and happy that is all I care about.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sorry you couldn't resist taking this pup from the backyard breeder. You should have taken mom and dad, to end their cycle of pumping out puppies.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
He's already got the pup now. OP, hopeully, you will stick around and do a lot of reading and educating yourself, so you can better understand our stance on the type of breeder you paid money to for a sick puppy. Hope your pup does well. We would love to see some pictures! EDIT: He might still have some worms making him look bloated or, if he is unthrifty with not much muscle, he can also look very full. As long as he has vet care going on, good nutrition, he should straighten out shortly. What dog food are you feeding him? A healthy doberman pup at 8 weeks can weight around 15 to 20 lbs. Dont focus on size now. He should grow close to his fathers size.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and Bless you for saving this boy. While it is unfortunate that the breeder profited from it so will most likely continue to put puppies lives in danger.

Wishing you the very best with Morrison. Usually by the time a puppy reaches 10 lbs they will crops ears. Mine are done at 7 weeks by 8 weeks he should be weighing in at 12 to 15 lbs. Know that due to early malnoutrition he may be stunted. Hopefully you got him out in time.

I would personally contact the breeder and tell him to pay your vet bills or you will report him to ASPCA. Even though I hate to say that - it might make him stop and think and at least he would not profit if he had to pay your vet bills.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I would personally contact the breeder and tell him to pay your vet bills or you will report him to ASPCA. Even though I hate to say that - it might make him stop and think and at least he would not profit if he had to pay your vet bills.
The breeder let the pups go at just about 6 weeks of age and the OP knew the breeder was bad but got the pup anyways because he thought it was going to die. I highly doubt that the breeder will honor that kind of request and since people are buying their puppies even though the pups are in terrible shape I doubt they'll stop breeding.

He might still have some worms making him look bloated or, if he is unthrifty with not much muscle, he can also look very full. As long as he has vet care going on, good nutrition, he should straighten out shortly. What dog food are you feeding him? A healthy doberman pup at 8 weeks can weight around 15 to 20 lbs. Dont focus on size now. He should grow close to his fathers size.
Everything that needs to be said has been said but I wanted to have this repeated.

Your puppy came to you sick and it sounds like he didn't have the best start at life. Don't worry about size but just take care of him and let him grow.

I'd also reconsider cropping unless he is completely healthy (though I'd still be reconsidering past that). He's had a tough life so far and putting a dog under + surgery is rarely easy on the body.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Where in STX are you? What vet are you using?

It is in this puppy's best interest to NOT undergo ear cropping until he is healthy. Any decent vet would also agree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts