Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting that after three weeks Jordan is comfy and cozy and feels "normal" in his new house. He has adored the kids since the second he laid eyes on them. I've never had a puppy with the kids before so all this is new and it has been soooooo long since we've had a puppy at all. Just curious about some things.

1. Jordan is affectionate with the kids. I mean with kisses. Mansen, our first dobe was so-so affectionate with kisses. He'd kiss us often, but not all the time. Cleo had to kiss ALL the time. If she didn't see us for two minutes or if we turned our heads to look at the clock she'd have to kiss. My non-dobe, Summer doesn't kiss at all. Maybe a little lick every couple weeks or so. Jordan kisses the kids often, but never my husband or me. He loves to cuddle with all of us any chance he gets but I was wondering if he'll get to the point that he'll give me and hubby kisses too. He actually does give kisses after he's been crated while we're gone and he is excited to see us but not any other time.

2. Would a 16 week old puppy already feel protective over the kids which are all still bigger then him? I took him out yesterday and my son was in the backyard a couple houses away. Jordan just sat there on my hill staring at Sage. When my daughter walked up to the same backyard was the first he glanced away from Sage and then watched them carefully as they met. There was an adult male (human) in the yard with them and I'm wondering if he was watching them like a hawk because of the male. He's often went crazy trying to get to the kids if they are out of the yard and he can see them but this time he just sat and stared. It reminded me of him watching protectively and was surprised a puppy would sit still this long.

He is already territorial with the yard. We had a guy to take care of some ants I saw on my hill and Jordan stayed at the sliding door barking and growling mad that there was a man in his yard. When the man went out front to the front door to invoice Jordan sat politely (as we are working on this) and allowed the man to treat and pet him.

Thought I'd add a picture of Jordan at his favorite watering hole.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
What a cutie!!!

I love his name btw, he shares it with my daughter, the coolest 8yr old in the world :)
I'm not sure if Jordan was being protective or just curious and was trying to figure out why the kids were way over there and he was stuck in the yard... Both of my dogs (one a Dobe and the other a Chihuahua) worry when we're not all together. We took a short trip as a family with the dogs once - Mark and Jordan went into the gas station to get sodas, I walked the dogs for a potty break - both of them were antsy and neither would do their business until they saw Mark and Jordan come back. Petri has always done this - it's a pain when we drive cross country, we all have to walk him together at the rest stops to get him to pee! I think Chihiro is picking up the behavior from him. If just Jordan and I take Chi for a walk and Jordan runs up to talk with some friends, Chi will be anxious, but not unruly, until Jordan comes back to us. I think the dogs know that their "pack" is supposed to be together and fret when we're not.
As far as kisses, I'm not so sure... Chi gives me very sweet, almost hesistant kisses all the time (like last night when she wasn't so subtle sneaking up in the bed and plopping down right on my knees) - but doesn't give many kisses to Mark and Jordan. If it's something you want him to do more frequently, it could be easily trained :)

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, that may very well be it. He HAS to be with the kids if he sees them. Usually he pounces and wines to be with them but this time he just sat and started.

Are you kidding me??? Train him to kiss. Yessereeee!!! I want to do that. I am despirate for dobie kisses. Any ideas how? I'm going to start googling now.

Jordan was the name the shelter gave me so I kept it at that. I like the name and it seems to suit him.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think the clicker is your best bet for training kisses. Like any other behavior timing is the key.
You could do it one of two ways.
1: get your clicker and treats and encourage him to give you a kiss. As soon as his tongue touches your skin, click and treat. When he realizes this is what gets him the treat and does it readily given the opportunity, add the command, "kiss". Ask him to kiss, when he does, click/treat. It won't take long - in fact, it's a rainy day, maybe I'll teach it to Chi today :)

Now, if you can't enourage him to give the initial kiss, you can lure him by smearing just a bit of peanut butter on maybe your arm (I'm thinking if he's anything like mine, peanut butter on the face may lead to loss of an eye, she's crazy with pb :) ). Point to your arm, and say "kiss" as soon as he licks, click (he's already getting the treat). Make sure you point, because when he's got that, your going to start pointing to your cheek, forehead, knee whatever - he'll learn to "kiss" where you ask him to. After he's kissing readily, decrease the amount of pb - soon there will be no pb at all. I would then keep going with the clicker and just give him a treat for a bit to reinforce in his mind that he still gets rewarded, just after the behavior rather than during.

2: If you want to skip the messy pb. Have your kids teach him :) If he's readily kissing them, have them ask for a kiss. Click/treat as soon as he does - do that a few times and then like above, add the command. When he understands the command with them, transfer the behavior to you and hubby. Jordan LOVES it when I show her new tricks to teach the dogs. She taught Chi left and right paw shakes in about 20 min the other day with the clicker.

Be forewarned, if you've not worked with the clicker before, it's addictive for both human and dog! My dogs go nuts when the clicker comes out, they know fun is imminent! Even my cat comes running when he hears that first click! It can be difficult to teach the more inactive behaviors with the clicker because they're so excited - so keep your voice and body language relaxed and calm.

Good luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts