Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. My doberman Suri has been potty trained since 12 weeks old. She is now five months old and never has accidents in the house. Lately, she has been peeing on my bed and on my couch. (It's happened about three times in the past week) She never goes in the floor. I am wondering why she is going on my bed and couch. Is she marking her territory or what is going on?
I take her out all the time to go potty and I can't figure out why she's going on my furniture. Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Lindsay

·
Super Moderator
15,649 Posts
Is she overly excited when it happens or is she calm? It could be a territorial or submissive gesture. Also, She could be going into her first cylce, but at five months it is probably unlikely. Don't rule out any medical reasons; she could have an infection of some sort.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. She does it when shes laying down calm as can be....So maybe I should take her to the vet because it could be uncontrollable.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Could be a UTI.....a bunch of females on here had the same thing happen around that age. If it happens again, go to the vet.

oxc

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Luvbirds59. I will take her to the vet Friday and I will keep everyone updated! I hate if she's been in any kind of pain with a UTI. Poor baby!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does she have access to lot's of drinking water there sometimes a bit like children and forget to go and then it's to late!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I would have the vet check for a UTI first before making any other assumptions. They are pretty common.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I'd guess UTI as well. Take her to the vet. They can be painful so keep an eye one her. They will want a sample so if you can stop by the vets & ask for a pee cup that way you can catch the first morning pee for them to test. Isabelle had lot of UTIs when she was a pup. I always kept at least one extra pee cup so when I'd see her getting symptomatic I could just take the vet some pee in the am & had meds by the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sounds like a UTI or vaginititis (sp) to me. Jada had vaginititis when she was around 5 or 6 months old. If that is what it is a round of antibotics will clear it up. Hope all is well. Let us know how your visit went. :)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for asking about Suri. She does have a UTI and she is now on anti-biotics. She is doing better already.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could be she is teething?? Just my 2 cents.

Scoob
I took her to the vet and he said it was a UTI...She's on anti-biotics, and she's getting better. I don't think teething has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, Suri has been on meds for two weeks now and I am afraid there is something still wrong with her.

Two nights ago, she was sleeping in my bed and I felt something wet...she went pee in my bed....
Today my boyfriend left her in her crate for 2 hours and came home and her blankets in the crate smelt of urine...He said that the whole room reeked or urine and he thinks she's been going potty in her crate....

Suri has been potty trained now for months....She's been on meds for her UTI now for two weeks....I am so concerned that the meds aren't strong enough or there is something wrong with Suri?!?

Any suggestions???

Should I take her to the vet again to see what is wrong with her?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would call the Vet and see what they say. What did the Vet say when she went on the antibiotics? How long before seeing an improvement, how long on them, etc?

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'd go back to the vet, the antibiotic she is on may need to be changed. Has she been spayed yet, from what I read some females have problems with leaking afterwards.

Carol

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
So, Suri has been on meds for two weeks now and I am afraid there is something still wrong with her.

Two nights ago, she was sleeping in my bed and I felt something wet...she went pee in my bed....
Today my boyfriend left her in her crate for 2 hours and came home and her blankets in the crate smelt of urine...He said that the whole room reeked or urine and he thinks she's been going potty in her crate....

Suri has been potty trained now for months....She's been on meds for her UTI now for two weeks....I am so concerned that the meds aren't strong enough or there is something wrong with Suri?!?

Any suggestions???

Should I take her to the vet again to see what is wrong with her?
UTI's can be persistent, it's not unusual for them to require more than the standard 10-14 day course of antibiotics.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The vet didn't give me any info on the pills....He basically handed them to me and left the room..Suri has like a month's worth or pills.

She hasn't been spayed yet because I plan on showing her.

Maybe the antibiotics need to be changed

My boyfriend told me that she smelled of urine (like she'd been laying in it or something)

Do I need to take her to the vet or wait a little while to see what happens??

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Call the vet ~ you may be able to take them another urine sample. Does she seem like she need to pee alot? Squating and no pee coming out? Isabelle had tons of UTIs when she was a puppy. She was spayed around 6 months and a while after that started leaking. She is on meds for the leaking which I can not spell or say. I look at the bottle when I get home. She takes one pill at night and that holds her. She is on an extremely low dose for her size - but it is working for her. My best guess is that her UTI has not cleared up. Isabelle was on quite a few different kinds of antibiotics - I know amoxicillin (sp?) was one - I think the other started with a "c" or "k". After we got her leaking under control she has had either one or two UTIs since then. We also invested in waterproof mattress covers since she sleeps with us.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts