Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I purchased a doberman a while ago and really he is a great dog. However, his worst habit has been that when I confine him to an area he throws tantrums. And while he's doing it he pees; ALOT. Even after I let him outside to do his business, if I don't rush to the door to let him in right away he gets mad an lets it all go on the patio. Any ideas that can help me to correct this problem? Thanks to everyone!

-Anthony

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
First off....has he been seen by a vet....is he 100% healthy....no UTI?

Next, is he getting enough real exersize and positive attention?

How about obedience training....have you gone for that yet?

Maybe we can help with more info.....

oxc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,
Yeah, he's been to the vet. Yes, we are training him. He knows to sit, stay, and am working on fetch. He is kind of defiant at times but he knows his place. I don't know if he just can't fully control himself yet or what. It's frusterating because even after it happens he walks, jumps, and even falls asleep in his puddles!

As far as am I paying enough attention to him I feel I do. My father works at home however sometimes just needs him out of the way so he is put outside at times. When I am home he is always with me. This happens even when I am around. I let him outside to do his business and God forbid I am late letting him back in. I can understand the tantrums but the copius urinating that comes with it I don't.

-Anthony

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you disipline his peeing in the house and on the patio? If so what do you do/say? It sounds like it could be something that can easily turn into a bad habbit if handled the wrong way, but easily corrected as well at his young age. Also do you praise him for peeing on the grass or where ever his place to pee is when you can?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,
He only does it when he's stressed out or mad. So, usually I'm not around to catch him in the act. He knows not to go in the house and is scolded. He's pretty much housebroken. That's rarely a problem. He only goes on the sidewalk during his temper tantrums. He's overall very healthy and a great dog. I think it's just that he hates being by himself (as most dobies do) because this problem NEVER occures when he's inside or has someone with him. He's do at the vet this Friday to get him ready for ear cropping so I will run the UTI question by then. I welcome anymore advise on this matter and Thanks to EVERYONE!

-Anthony

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
If you find the pee after the fact....and you don't catch him in the act....you shouldn't say a thing to the pup. Just make sure when you take him out...you praise and even giver treats every single time he goes in the proper place. If you catch him peeing in the house....then you can say a quick no, and whisk him outside, never anything more. You may want to crate him for a bit rather then blocking him off in a room, until you get this figured out. Most pups will not go in their crates.

I don't think puppies get mad like you are describing. But I will let the experts on here have their say. My guy looks for attention when he is bored....by snatching things he is not supposed to have!

oxc

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
13 weeks is very young and some are not potty trained at this age. Be consistent with what door you take him out to go potty. It should always be the same. Take pup to the same place. He doesn`t come in till he does go and you should be with him. Also praise him when he goes potty outside. I would not punish him for accidents in the house. If you catch him actually doing it a no no no and take him outside is sufficient.
A puppy this age should be crated or tethered to you. He will get it but needs to be crated or watched closely. Potty breaks are after naps, playing, eating--this can be often but its what is needed at this age.Hang in there you have a baby and he is well within the norm.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey,

TO LUVBIRD: I am using tantrum in the full sense of the word. Throwing himself against the dogrun gate, high pitch barks, etc.

I know Rufus is still a pup and am hoping that this is something he will outgrow as he gets older. I've read that dogs in general don't get full control of their bladders until around 6 months. Perhaps he just needs to get used to being by himself sometimes. I've had him since he was 6 weeks and this has always been an issue.

-Anthony

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Sounds like he doesn't like you leaving him. Have you tried giving him a bone or a filled Kong when you leave? Petey used to go nuts in his crate, so I'd leave him with either a filled Kong or Marrow bone. Now we can just leave him in the house, no crate or gates at 9 months old. We shall see if that lasts!!! These Dobermans are a stubborn bunch....they like things their way for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in at 13 weeks he is still a baby,do you go outside with him on a leash each time? The reason I ask is evidently Dobes stay puppies longer than most breeds.In my opinion if you go out with them each time tell the a phrase go potty or hurry up any phrase you want to use but it has to be the same one each time.Take them out to the spot in the yard you wish them to go stand in one spot let them sniff around on the 6ft lead.When they do go PRAISE them to high heaven like it is the neatest thing you ever saw.If you do the consistently after naps,playtime,eating & sleeping about every 2 hours for about three months. Then you will have a dog you can let out in rain ,ice,snow ect. tell them the phrase and they will go on command.Comes in very handy over the years.If you let them out by there selfs how do you know they went pups have very short attention spans & sometimes forget what they are suppose to be doing.Remember dogs do not understand our language they go allot by your body language I do not believe they are stubborn or try to get even they live in the now moment not the past or the future.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
141 Posts
try slowly weining him away from you by leaving for a couple seconds at a time and gradually increasing the duration that ur away from him. When you come back, and he's being calm and good, praise him and give him a treat. Hopefully after a bit, he'll learn that you will always return and be more secure and comfortable. Just an idea i'm throwing out there. I'm no expert by far! :D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I also wanted to add that in DOGFANCY September 2007 issue (it just came out) they have an article for strategies for separation anxiety. You may want to pick it up or perhaps you can just order one issue.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
you guys, this isn't separation anxiety! this is a 13 week old puppy that doesn't want to be outside alone!! hes a BABY and he feels insecure when outside - hes left out there to fend for himself and he wants to be with his pack.
guess what? when my old guys are left outside, after they do their thing if i am not out there they too want to come back inside - TO BE WITH ME! tyler scratches at the door, rah barks at the door. im not even leaving them alone - i am in the kitchen WATCHING them - and they want to be with me.
both can be left in a crate, tyler can be left loose in the house, when i am not home. they don't have SA. They are dobermans and want to be with their people.

he's also not disobeying - hes not even having accidents in the house. he is not urinating WHERE YOU WANT HIM TO - the only way to show him that is to BE OUT THERE WITH HIM. I can't yell at my dog or be angry at him for peeing or pooping in a certain area if he hasn't been shown where TO go and where NOT to go.

a 13 week old puppy has no business being left outside alone, IMO, for anything - bathroom breaks, playtime, anything - you should be there with him, showing him where you want him to go to the bathroom, training, playing and SUPERVISING. don't leave rufus out there alone, plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Kim said it perfect.....Petey is the same way....he follows me every where I go, it's just the last week or so that he will hang out in the yard alone for a short period alone.

Carol

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
6 weeks was aweful young to break a pup away from his littermates. You became his surrogate littermate at his young age. 8 weeks is too young. Why did the breeder let you take him home so young?
Since I don't know his history, the only thing I can suggest is spending enormous amounts of time with him, taking him out into the actual yard and helping him learn to only do his business there. Just putting him outside a door where there may be a patio, etc.....is only reinforcing him to want back inside to be with his pack and he is not venturing out on his own into the yard. He is too young to be left alone outside........even a 1 year old is (eats sticks, rocks, you name it). He stays at the backdoor crying to get back in.......and whatever he does in that time, happens on the patio.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
A couple of things you can do to help them get used to a backyard (for short periods of time) is to hide treats. Of course you have to be out there to supervise until your puppy is substantially older. I've only very recently started letting Jordan out there by himself for about two minutes in the morning when I make my coffee and use the potty myself. (BTW--I'm pretty sure this is where he came across the rubber ball he ingested too probably by a neighbor kid).

My older dogs loved being outside for a good part of the day on nice days. I couldn't drag them in (okay, I had to drag them in). But, since Cleo died and we got Jordan even Summer doesn't want to be out there at all by herself and Jordan will go pee and then go right back to the door to come in. It's usually similar to Kim, where I'm in the kitchen and they can see me and I can see them. Dogs don't like being alone and he is stressed out and confused.

When training him bring him out on the leash and bring him to where YOU want him to go potty, praise and treat tremendously. If he starts going where you don't want him to then you catch him, tell him no and take him to where you do want him to go.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts