Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having family over for Easter and they plan on bringing their 4 month old chocolate lab puppy. Lucan is only 9 weeks old and maybe I'm being an overprotective dobermom, but I'm worried that his cousin might be a little too rough with him. The lab is very nippy and boisterous. Not to mention the chaos this is likely to cause in the house that day! :help_up_2 Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My thought is to bring the lab puppy out by himself into the yard and play ball, tug-o-war, and generally run him in to the ground, then introduce the two. If they can't play nice then they shouldn't be together.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
You are not being to overprotective, you don't want to have your baby scared of other dogs. Supervise and separate if need be. I wish my boy had someone to play with. I walk him with a pack of other dogs, but they are all older and won't tolerate his puppy rambunctiousness. He has learned to behave around them though.

Again....where is the name Lucan from? I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan....and that's the name of a song.

Carol

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We actually planned on calling him Luca (ER doctor) but everyone thought it was a girlie name so we added the "n".
I just got back from Petsmart with him and someone thought he was a Rotti X Lab 'cause he didn't have "pointy ears". She had no idea they weren't born that way - OMG.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
We are having family over for Easter and they plan on bringing their 4 month old chocolate lab puppy. Lucan is only 9 weeks old and maybe I'm being an overprotective dobermom, but I'm worried that his cousin might be a little too rough with him. The lab is very nippy and boisterous. Not to mention the chaos this is likely to cause in the house that day! :help_up_2 Any thoughts?
My first thought is it's kind of rude to think your dog is going to be welcome anywhere you go, even with family. If you're not comfortable with telling them it would be better not to bring their puppy, then I'd tell them to be sure to bring a crate for it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Murreydobe, that's a great idea. I will ask them to bring their crate. I will also ask them to run Guinness around the backyard for awhile before introducing them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 5 month old tripod has a 18 month old black lab "cousin". I have never been around labs before now and let me tell you he is CRAZY! Poor Romel couldnt get out of his way fast enough and he just rolled him over like a toy. I am very protective and just about tackled the lab to get to my baby. They are very rough and hyper and bite other dogs faces(according to my sister)enough to cause scabs and bleeding. I have let them play in the house only 2x and with me right there on both of them. I have to say that Romel does go after the dog and tries his best to be the boss but when the 90lbs comes running and leaping through the house we all run and hide. I would just keep a real good eye on the 2 of them and monitor their play, you can always separate them. I know I really wanted my boy to have a buddy to play with but until he's much bigger , no playing.:cry:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Every family function we have, there are lots of dogs. My family usually all brings their dogs with them. Bring your crate, nothing like trying to eat and having puppies all over your food. Take them out to play and get that energy out so the house is alittle more calm. Always supervise them. If they are getting too rough for your taste, seperate them both. If you still feel uncomfortable with it, ask them not to bring their pup. It is your house and your rules. Explain to them your concerns so there are no hurt feelings over it. Just be prepared for them to take off early so they can get home to their puppy if they usually stay for a long time.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
My thought is to bring the lab puppy out by himself into the yard and play ball, tug-o-war, and generally run him in to the ground, then introduce the two. If they can't play nice then they shouldn't be together.
Julie, you have such a way with words.:sunglasse Couldn't be simpler said.
I'm not sure if I have told you, but Cher is such a beautiful girl. Are you ever planning on breeding her?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts