Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I took this yesterday. They are three weeks old today. Now they are up and going around playing mouthing etc.

So today they got their first taste of real lean ground beef. They went nuts and my hands sure do prove it. Poor mom...now I know what it must be like to be attacked. They sure know the smell of food!

Anyway, I spent about 6 hours uploading this to Youtube. So enjoy it! My computer has been held captive!

Doberman Puppies 019 - YouTube

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Great video...sure is nice to see the very young dobes, learning about pack structure...biting until they fall on their butt.
- then a new owner will say, "why is he or she biting me"??...He-He.
WISH I was there to help you...fine looking babies their / will make many new owners, very proud.
- Mom keeping one herself ?? ------->> and keep the videos and photos coming / a real treat for us

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great video...sure is nice to see the very young dobes, learning about pack structure...biting until they fall on their butt.
- then a new owner will say, "why is he or she biting me"??...He-He.
WISH I was there to help you...fine looking babies their / will make many new owners, very proud.
- Mom keeping one herself ?? ------->> and keep the videos and photos coming / a real treat for us
Thank You...I always try and treat others as I would like to be treated too. But on the other side, when someone treats me unfairly, I do not take it well. I seem to forever hold grudges and never forget. I guess that is what drew me to the profession I once did. I'm glad to be retired.

Yes, when you raise a litter you can see the pack behavior and how a dog learns. You should hear the barking and play growling that goes on at 4 AM. This was the time when they used to bother their mother when pregnant. They love to have big play sessions at that time.

I put alot into the litters that I raise. I hope and pray to get them the best of homes. It is up to the new homes to continue what I have started.

I had a "Big Shot" buyer who thought he should have everything he wanted due to his title and status. He wanted to fly his private jet down to look at the puppies at 4 weeks. He wanted to hold each puppy on its back and see the amount of struggle then "pick" the least struggle pup.

He thinks because he is a big somebody, he should get what he wants from me. He also stated he wanted the pup when it was small so his cats could dominate it. Guess where he is today...NOT ON MY LIST!

It is very interesting the inquires you get regarding a puppy. People are very stupid in the public. They know nothing of the breed. All they want is a puppy. I have turned many away. But they get their puppy anyway from a BYB. That is sad but that is the way it is.

When you breed a litter like this, you really are the "keepers" of the breed. Its not that I am stuck up at all. I always invite people to inquire and not be afraid. It is the stupid people who are looking for odd things that slay me.

Its alot of work. Every morning I take down the entire whelping box, clean it and re-do it. That is about a 3 hour job. Then of course there's the laundry.

But a puppy raised in a clean enviornment will always want to be/stay clean; and they make for the best house breaking canidates. There is no skimping on my end. I hope they get the best of homes because I have invested alot of myself in them.

If folks are appreciative and kind, I don't mind sharing. There is always alot to learn for everybody in this world.

So it looks like I may have to go get another chip for this cheap camera. But we are making it do.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I will keep something for myself out of this litter. That is why I bred it.

Its really hard. There is only one red bitch. She is the most cuddly. She was the first to run up and eat that meat out of my hand and want more. So you can also see the personalities developing.

I do not favor just one pup. They are all my family. I know of some breeders that pick out their favorite and just go there. That's not fair to the other pups or their future homes.

I want all the pups to love to be held and handled. So I spend time individually with each. This is necessary for the end result.

I learned alot from Marge Hudson. She was a major influence on me and puppy socialization. Unfortunately, she has moved to Bend, Oregon so I will miss her puppy litter evaluations. I use to have her do all my litters. That's how you pick out your potential obedience, working sport dogs etc. But really, I haven't done a litter myself in 21 years. Angie and I did one together in 97. But she raised it. I was a co-breeder that's all.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P.S. Not to worry...next ones will have toys to interact with. That's when it really gets fun. The discovery mode.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Man those are NOT some scrawny puppies! ~8D
Too funny their pudgy drunken sailor movements.
I've taken all day trying to upload things on youtube too, you'll get the hang of it tho, just try not to get behind & you'll have a nice archive. (i should talk)

Best wishes to you w/these puppies and your hopes for them.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Wonderful litter. I think you are a great breeder. And anyone getting a pup from you would be darn lucky.

Did you ever decide on a kennel name for this litter? I think one of your posts may have addressed this, but I am not sure if you had decided between your old kennel name or your new kennel name.

Love the video, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kennel Prefex

Well since I haven't bred a litter in 21 years and no one remembers the old name Perseus, I decided to use this new one. I like it better; and it sort of stands for my personality much like Perseus did.

I no longer have the line of Perseus. I wish I did. I had longetivity and never saw a cardio dog in my life. In fact, and this health is verifiable via the veternarian whom took care of her, I had one of those dogs go 4 months short of 16 years old. I put her down due to her old age and ability to enjoy life.

Dobermans can live long if we pay attention to how we breed them. I think many are in too much hurry to win in the breed ring so they lose sight of what's really important.

I too want to win in the breed ring. But I want health too. That is why I drove clear accross the Country 2300 miles one way to get the health/temperment and the breed ring both. It was worth it.

If you breed, you owe this to the breed. The breed is too nice to lose. If people keep doing as they do, we may not have our dear breed anymore.

·
Registered
178 Posts
O.M.G. The CUTENESS! Seriously, I think I just overloaded on my cuteness factor for the week. They are adorable! I loved your story about Mr. Big Shot as well. If only all breeders would screen like that.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O.M.G. The CUTENESS! Seriously, I think I just overloaded on my cuteness factor for the week. They are adorable! I loved your story about Mr. Big Shot as well. If only all breeders would screen like that.
Oh he is a major big shot. At first he came accross as nice. He hoped that because of who he was wouldn't influence me. It doesn't. But what he was requesting and his statements were a major turn off.

Dogs don't care what kind of mansion you have or if you own and fly your own lear jet. They care about the home they live in. Caser Milan or however you spell his name, says that dogs that live even with the homeless are quite content. They get to walk and see the world.

But I'm also not going to give my puppies to a homeless person as well because they need more than that to survive.

Have to get busy now...lots of stuff awaits me.

Now I am feeding them food so it gets even more work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts