Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 5 month old red male has had bumps on him since the first week that he came home. they started as little bumps on the top of his head. we figured they were bug bites and that they would go away. they moved down his neck, then to his back. its been 3 months now and they wont go away. took him to the vet like a month and a half ago and they gave us the oatmeal shampoo. for a little bit it looked as if it were working, but he eventually broke out even worse. this weekend the vet did a skin scrape and found that he did not have mange. he gave us some antibiotics and sent us on our way. we havent seen any improvement yet, but it is still too early to tell. if its not mange then maybe there is something that he is allergic too? we do have a pretty large backyard and he does have the ability to get bit by plenty of bugs and eat lots of leaves and branches, but the breeder we got him from had a 192 acre property and he managed to not get the bumps there. any input would help, as im really frustrated with the way his coat looks. here are a few pictures, hope someone has the same problem and can help

first picture is when he first started getting them on his head, just look at how great his coat looked back then. the rest are from tonight when he was in his cage for bedtime, look how horrible his coat looks now. all i can see when i look at him is the bumps and the white spots

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Puppy staph is very common in doberman puppies till their immune sysem matures enough to take care of it. If your vet gave you a week or two's worth of antibiotics, it wont be enough to take care of the staph. It takes a month of antibiotics to do the trick. Now, if he has staph that keeps coming back after repeated antibiotic treatments, you are probably looking at allergies. I wouldnt bath a puppy like this in oatmeal as it dries the skin and, if he was allergic to oatmeal, you could be in a mess with him. Pick up some Hibiclens at the drugstore and bathe in cool water, not warm or hot!!! Rinse, rinse and rinse, again. Anytime you have to give antibiotics, you need to give probiotics or PLAIN Greek yogurt, which contains 5 probiotics, to replace what is killed off in the intestines by the antibiotics. Give a couple of teaspoons with morning and nite meals. ///// What are you feeding him?

·
Banned
422 Posts
my 5 month old red male has had bumps on him since the first week that he came home. they started as little bumps on the top of his head. we figured they were bug bites and that they would go away. they moved down his neck, then to his back. its been 3 months now and they wont go away. took him to the vet like a month and a half ago and they gave us the oatmeal shampoo. for a little bit it looked as if it were working, but he eventually broke out even worse. this weekend the vet did a skin scrape and found that he did not have mange. he gave us some antibiotics and sent us on our way. we havent seen any improvement yet, but it is still too early to tell. if its not mange then maybe there is something that he is allergic too? we do have a pretty large backyard and he does have the ability to get bit by plenty of bugs and eat lots of leaves and branches, but the breeder we got him from had a 192 acre property and he managed to not get the bumps there. any input would help, as im really frustrated with the way his coat looks. here are a few pictures, hope someone has the same problem and can help

first picture is when he first started getting them on his head, just look at how great his coat looked back then. the rest are from tonight when he was in his cage for bedtime, look how horrible his coat looks now. all i can see when i look at him is the bumps and the white spots

Im just putting this out there because this exact same problem happened to me. It started at the head, and moved to the back. Im assuming the tape you are using for the bridge on the ear posting is cloth tape? Our vet also gave us antibiotics for staph. I spoke with my breeder who experienced this problem before. She switched the tape for the bridge to a paper tape instead of cloth. So far this has worked, and the bumps have not continued. Overall I would listen to your vet as he/she knows best, but if this continues hopefully this info helps you out.

Do not change all of the tape to paper. Just the bridge (the tape from ear to ear).

Good luck, puppy is pretty cute!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vet gave us probably a weeks worth of antibiotics, ill have to see if we can get more. when we first got him from the breeder, she was feeding purina pro. we immediately switched him to another brand (i forget what brand) because we had a fresh bag of it. we went back to the purina after the bag of the other stuff ran out. after a few weeks with the skin issue, we went to blue buffalo thinking that was the best for him. we are still using blue buffalo. my local petstore doesnt have any of the brands that i see a lot of people here feeding, pretty much just the major brands. as for the tape, im using zonas tape. the breeder posted his ears when i picked him up to take him home. i didnt notice what kind of tape she used, but he had the bumps on his head with that taping. when i took that first posting down, we noticed that the cropping wasnt fully healed and was bleeding. we let his ears stay down for almost a month to let the ear heal correctly. during that time the bumps spread. while i dont think the tape is causing the bumps, i will change the bridge tape in hope that it helps. i do like the idea of giving the yogurt. ill start tryng that tonight. in the meantime, im going to get an appointment with another vet just to get a second vet opinion. im pretty much desperate though. it makes me sad to see him coat in this condition. he is such a beautiful dog. without exageration, i cannot go anywhere with him without being stopped like 5 times so people can compliment him or pet him. i just want to get him perfect again

·
Banned
422 Posts
vet gave us probably a weeks worth of antibiotics, ill have to see if we can get more. when we first got him from the breeder, she was feeding purina pro. we immediately switched him to another brand (i forget what brand) because we had a fresh bag of it. we went back to the purina after the bag of the other stuff ran out. after a few weeks with the skin issue, we went to blue buffalo thinking that was the best for him. we are still using blue buffalo. my local petstore doesnt have any of the brands that i see a lot of people here feeding, pretty much just the major brands. as for the tape, im using zonas tape. the breeder posted his ears when i picked him up to take him home. i didnt notice what kind of tape she used, but he had the bumps on his head with that taping. when i took that first posting down, we noticed that the cropping wasnt fully healed and was bleeding. we let his ears stay down for almost a month to let the ear heal correctly. during that time the bumps spread. while i dont think the tape is causing the bumps, i will change the bridge tape in hope that it helps. i do like the idea of giving the yogurt. ill start tryng that tonight. in the meantime, im going to get an appointment with another vet just to get a second vet opinion. im pretty much desperate though. it makes me sad to see him coat in this condition. he is such a beautiful dog. without exageration, i cannot go anywhere with him without being stopped like 5 times so people can compliment him or pet him. i just want to get him perfect again
If you don't mind me asking what breeder did you use? Not making any personal attacks, just curious because I see similarities with mine. I was just curious if he happened to be from the same litter. You can pm me of you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not yet. her husband was having some health issues so i dont want to bother her with this. if the problem doesnt get any better i might shoot her an email

·
Registered
417 Posts
Gus has a few of these on his head and neck, they're colorless and don't seem to bother him. Sometimes they seem to flare up and you can see them through his fur, but not always. I haven't seen them since his switch to Avoderm, but if you do find out what exactly they are, I'd like to know!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
since my last post we have been on the antibiotics roughly 2 weeks. we have 3 refills of the antibiotics too so it should last. ive also started giving fish oil pills at breakfast along with yogurt to help his immune system. we also switched to avoderm food that has beef as the main source of protein as opposed to chicken like our other foods. and lastly we've been giving him twice as much water as usual. for a few days he was looking AMAZING! his coat was so soft and smooth and the pimples seemed to be gone. then just the other day they came back. i dont know if it has to do with the fact that i ran out of yogurt, but hes back to looking crappy. ill have to pick up yogurt again and see if thats what the missing component is

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hmmm...dont know if it could be lack of yogurt either, but it is important to feed when giving antibiotics. Please let us know if he improves again with the addition of Greek yogurt. Twas Greek wasnt it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Puppy Pimples

looks EXACTLY like our young red boy; after $1500 of tests, figured out it is Follicular Dysplasia. Fairly common and incurable, unfortunately. Veterinary dermatologist confirmed it. same age, exactly same in pics. our boy's bumps went away after the antibiotic (has to be a certain one, can't remember which) but after a few months they are now back :(

No food changes or oil has helped to any degree, this is a genetic skin disorder and will have to be managed. It's a constant game trying to keep his skin under control.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got more yogurt, and yes it was greek. skin is starting to look good again. bumps are slowly starting to go away and the ones that are there arent as big anymore. the "gaps" in the fur are still there, i hope that they will eventually fill in.

the antibiotic is Cephallexin, not sure if i spelled it right or not. Daisygirl, what are you doing to manage it? any tips would be great

·
Registered
60 Posts
Follicular Dysplasia

the veterinary dermatologist told us the following:

1. add EFA's (triple strength, we get it at Costco cheap)
2. Bath, bath, bath. we are on 3-4 times per week
3. Use a "keratolytic" shampoo (ours has benzoyl peroxide in it) when the bumps are bad. The shampoo is made by Virbac, it is the Pyoben shampoo
4. use a moisturizing shampoo and coat conditioner/spray otherwise
5. Antibiotics may be needed if the bumps cannot be kept under control and a secondary skin infection occurs. We can tell when this is happening by the odor, and the bumps get inflamed and crusty.

it's awful. His coat will never look normal, I don't think. And he is such a beautiful red male ,. . . but it could be worse. It's not fatal, and he's not a show dog so it really doesn't matter except I worry about the antibiotic usage over his lifetime (he is only 16 months).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the veterinary dermatologist told us the following:

1. add EFA's (triple strength, we get it at Costco cheap)
2. Bath, bath, bath. we are on 3-4 times per week
3. Use a "keratolytic" shampoo (ours has benzoyl peroxide in it) when the bumps are bad. The shampoo is made by Virbac, it is the Pyoben shampoo
4. use a moisturizing shampoo and coat conditioner/spray otherwise
5. Antibiotics may be needed if the bumps cannot be kept under control and a secondary skin infection occurs. We can tell when this is happening by the odor, and the bumps get inflamed and crusty.

it's awful. His coat will never look normal, I don't think. And he is such a beautiful red male ,. . . but it could be worse. It's not fatal, and he's not a show dog so it really doesn't matter except I worry about the antibiotic usage over his lifetime (he is only 16 months).
ugh that sounds like torture. i really hope i dont have the same situation.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It really sounds like puppy staph. The antibiotic is the same as Parker was given for his, too. Your pup will outgrow this problem soon, hopefully. If it keeps coming back at around 5/6 months, you could be looking at allergies. Be careful not to vaccinate for everything under the sun. Use search for Dr Dodd's Vaccination Protocal and follow it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts