Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My newly adopted 1y.o. dobie came to us with puppy pimples on his lips and chin. Our vet said to use Stridex pads to clean the area but it's been a month and they aren't getting any better. Is there anything else I can try to get rid of these?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Are you feeding from a stainless steel or ceramic bowl--some thing that doesn't have pore in the surface that can trap bacteria? Plastic is the worst.

Do you wash the dog bowl in hot soapy water after every meal? If you don't you should be.

After every meal I recommend first cleaning the area with the pimples with soap and water and then rinse with water--after that you can apply the Stridex but often just cleaning and drying every tie the dog eats anything is enough.

And you might as well take a look at what he drinks water out of. An outside bucket should be something like stainless steel so it can be scrubbed out regularly and if it's an inside bowl it should be treated the same way you do the food dish--clean it with hot soapy water at least once a day and rinse it well.

It sometimes takes some time to get rid of pimples around the mouth and chin and you might talk to your vet about treating with antibiotics to get rid of the problem. The keeping it clean should keep the problem fixed.

Hmmm--check all toys too. Anything cloth and stuffed should be washed by machine in hot soapy water and dried in the drier. I toss rubber toys into the dishwasher along with bones that have no meat left on them--and run them through a cycle.

Good luck...

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
21,138 Posts
I can only use ceramic dishes for my two dogs to keep their chins in good shape. Ditto to everything else Dobebug said.

·
Big Lil pup
6,121 Posts
Like MC, I only feed and water out of ceramic bowls. McCoys bowls are vintage McCoy bowls!

Also His water bowl gets washed daily and his feed bowl after every feeding. In addition, after every meal, I wipe his muzzle and chin off with a very clean cloth or sponge.

From my experience, as your pup's immune system becomes fully developed the chin acne should abate.

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
MeadowCat and Juhn aren't the only two people who use ceramic instead of stainless steel. The thing that makes stainless steel non-corrosive is nickel--the only problem is that nickel is on the surface and nickel allergies are very common. (My original major was chemistry.) The really important thing to know is that you need to ue something that doesn't have pore in it to trap bacteria and add to the problem by failing to keep the bowls really clean.

And John--I agree things like pyoderma and chin pimples tend to evaporate as the pup's immune system matures.

dobebug

·
Registered
331 Posts
My boy had pimples on his chin before. I used these wipes, and they cleared up fairly quickly
Curaseb | Chlorhexidine Wipes –... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J972CWI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was feeding out of a plastic bowl, which I learned was a no no. He has a stainless steel one now which we wash after each meal (also something I wasn't doing...I swear this forum is a treasure trove of information!) and we havent had a pimple problem since. :)

Maybe check with your vet about those wipes, just in case. I did with mine and I got the green light! I still have a pack just in case he has any flare ups, but he hasn't had a single pimple since December of 2018.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Male had a bunch on his chin. He was less than a year at the time. We fed out of stainless and ceramic bowls, but that didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I would lightly scrub it a couple times a day with a paper towel and Hydrogen Peroxide, which would help. He eventually grew out of it.

At 2 1/2 he's fine now and I don't wash the bowls out everyday, just every few. It won;t hurt to, but I don't find it necessary. Their immune systems and stomach can tolerate way more than us wimp humans can.

·
Puppy Whipped
73 Posts
Hello,
My newly adopted 1y.o. dobie came to us with puppy pimples on his lips and chin. Our vet said to use Stridex pads to clean the area but it's been a month and they aren't getting any better. Is there anything else I can try to get rid of these?

Thanks
Realize this is an older thread and the original poster hasn't followed up, but I thought I'd also mention our adult dobie had similar issues with really bad acne. We just switched her food to Purina Pro Plan for sensitive skin and stomach due to digestive issues we were having and a nice fringe benefit was that her face and chin have also largely cleared up. I think Purina also has a puppy version. I got ours for an adult large breed dog at PetSmart. Plus the non-plastic food bowls, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chin pimples

A lot of the time the chin pimples are an overgrowth of staph, which we all have a bit of. Sometimes it's an age (young/old) and sometimes it's an immune issue. I prefer ceramic bowls for water and food as well. I also recommend Chlorhexadine. You can buy it in pints at most animal feed stores and a little goes a very long way. I believe the dilution is 1 oz. per 1 gallon water. I use distilled. Use your own gauze pads or whatever. So much less expensive than using the wipes and it's a great antiseptic for lots of uses.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Yeah, I use chlorhexadine and always have it around (I work for a vet clinic--that should explain a lot) I use it for a long list of things--including chin pimples, staph outbreaks and on lick granulomas before I bandage them.

It's relatively mild and very effective as a germ killer--and even if you have to buy it--it's less expensive than Stridex pads--I think they charge me maybe a $1 for a pint bottle and that's really mostly the price of the bottles.

dobebug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts