Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a typical house-breaking thread. My wife and I have had several dogs that we have potty-trained, so we know what we are doing.

We got Hera two days ago, and she went 4 hours (one hour with us at the breeders' place, and three in the car) without peeing. We got her home and in the backyard, and she did a good pee. She had a couple of accidents in the house that night, but both times she had gone to the door, we just didn't make it in time to take her out. Then she slept all night in her crate without peeing in it. Most of yesterday was pretty much the same.

Last night, we had a couple of friends over to meet her. My wife took her out to pee a little bit before they got there. While they were there, though, she peed twice in the family room, never attempting to go to the door. Then she started squatting like she was peeing, but either nothing would come out, or just a few little drops.

Since then, she seems to squat whenever she feels the slightest need to pee. She does it inside, and when she's outside, she will squat, walk a few steps, squat some more, and do this for several minutes, usually with nothing coming out after the initial pee. Then she'll go back inside and squat more.

My wife told me Hera had been sleeping on the couch with her, and when she would wake up, she would pee some just laying there.

Are we doing something wrong? We take her out at least once an hour. Are we expecting too much of her too soon? It's not a huge deal, I think we just want to know if there is something more we can do, and we want to make sure there is nothing wrong that is causing it.

Maybe this is what our other two dogs were like when they were pups, but its just that Hera is bigger than both of them right now, and we were hoping she'd have a little more bladder control.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
To me it sounds like she may have a bladder infection or something along those line if she just cant seem to stop peeing at the drop of a hat, as well as seeming to want to go without getting anything out. It wouldnt hurt to have the vet check her out, I'm sure she'll need to go in soon enough for a vaccine booster given her age.

Or my other thought is that she may just be a nervous/submissive/excited pee-er and is easily set off by things to pee, like company over, or waking up and seeing mom.

I would address and make sure it isnt medical first, perhaps bring pee into your vet to get tested for its ph balance and etc... and if she's all fine there just keep working on her potty training and maybe it's just a phase.

Good luck, and I hope she's ok and just nervous/excitable :)

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Well, I"m house breaking my little guy right now too....
I'm not a training expert, but maybe you just need to give her time to adjust to the routine at her new house and surroundings.....or she might have a bladder infection or UTI of some kind.
When my adult Lily did this....Squatting and not going repeatedly....I figured she might have and infection or a bladder issue....and she did. Antibiotics and all is normal again.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,416 Posts
Yep, sounds like a UTI to me--at least, you probably should start by checking that, so you don't end up correcting her for something she can't help.

Frequent urination, trying to pee without results or with only a few drops, dribbling intermittently and uncontrollably, pain upon peeing or blood in the urine are all signs of a urinary tract infection.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much, everyone! I called my wife, and she is calling the vet's office now to see when we can get her in for an appointment.

I thought it could be many of the non-medical things that you all had suggested: new surroundings, nervous/excited, and even just having little to no bladder control because she is so young.

We're going to rule out a UTI first. We can understand a puppy peeing when it has to pee. But repeatedly squatting and nothing comes out adds to the feeling it could be medical. Especially the fact that she will pee when she wakes up from a nap, and doesn't even try to get up to squat, it just kind of comes out.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Diesel did that too when other people would come over and he got scared. We started taking him out every 30 minutes since that day and he rarely has an accident anymore. She might just need to go out more. It's been too soon for her to be potty trained. I'd also get her checked out for a UTI too just be sure. Everytime diesel went he was actually peeing so I'd check nothing is wrong if nothing is coming out cause that sounds strange.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, sounds like a UTI to me--at least, you probably should start by checking that, so you don't end up correcting her for something she can't help.

Frequent urination, trying to pee without results or with only a few drops, dribbling intermittently and uncontrollably, pain upon peeing or blood in the urine are all signs of a urinary tract infection.
The thing is, she doesn't seem to be in any pain when she pees, at least that we can see. She doesn't cry or whine. But that doesn't mean there is no pain.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Sounds like an uti. Especially if she is squatting and nothing coming out.

Reactions: Lonestar Boogie

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
That's ridiculous, a) its impossible for any puppy! and b) especially impossible with a uti

Why won't they let you collect some at home in a clean container?
We are more than happy to get that where I work. Plus i'm sure she would go again at the vets with her being a puppy and already going often.

That's just really weird to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's ridiculous, a) its impossible for any puppy! and b) especially impossible with a uti

Why won't they let you collect some at home in a clean container?
We are more than happy to get that where I work. Plus i'm sure she would go again at the vets with her being a puppy and already going often.

That's just really weird to me.
That's what I said to my wife. Such an odd request. But we both agreed that she'd be peeing at the vets office, so it's all good.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,416 Posts
That's advice for an older dog, I would think. It's not like you LET a puppy pee--they just do! They may just want to get a sample as quickly as possible, especially on a Sunday so they can go home early.

A clean container would be one way to collect a urinalysis--if the vet decides they need to do a culture (which may not be necessary), they would need to be able to get it as contaminant free as they can, which would mean a sterile container.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I've been thinking about it, Hera has been shivering a bit, especially when she's sleeping. She doesn't seem to be doing it all the time, but enough for us to notice. At first we thought it was just that she was so tired and such. But maybe that was a sign that she was in some pain.

Poor puppy!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

She has a UTI.

My wife just called and said she peed a couple of times at the vet's office. The first one, oddly, didn't show anything. I think they were going to treat her presumptively because of what my wife described as her symptoms. But before they left, she peed on the floor a second time and they got it up with a syringe and said they'd test it. As my wife was putting Hera in the car, the vet came running out to confirm that the test was positive.

She has an antibiotic and should be getting back to normal in a day or so.

Thanks so much to everyone one of you who posted with thoughts an suggestions. We really appreciate you taking the time to help us out with this.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts