Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I am in need of some serious help here... my doberman puppy is still peeing in the house! She's 7.5 going on 8 months!!! I know she can hold it, and have seen her do so after many hours! But she excited pees- every time I come home from work, she will pee in her crate before I can get her out. If I let her run around my tiny little basement apartment for more than an hour (supervised) she will pee!

I have tried everything I feel. I've done puppy training classes, tried speaking to her calmly, tried walking around for a little without saying or doing anything, I've taken her out every 20-30 minutes... etc. etc. etc. Now, when I get home (from work, errands, etc) I come inside, throw open her crate, and run outside for her to follow. I can't even put her leash on inside or she will pee, so I have to go back inside and grab her leash and put it on outside. She always pees when I go to put it on her, inside or out. She was just spayed a month ago, and I thought maybe this would help a little, but it hasn't! She peed on my bed last night after she went out 45 minutes before!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my puppy stop doing this?? I cannot take it anymore, I am pulling my hair out! She is so smart in every other regard, :graduate: , but she is not getting this whole house breaking thing!!

HELP HELP HELP!
-The desperate dobbie owner
:please: :zoo_taz:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Have you ruled out medical problems? A vet visit to rule out the possibility of a UTI might be in order. Otherwise, many people who are having real problems like this need to actually tie their dog to them. It's not fun, but if you take a leash and attach her to your waist you can always have an eye on her and stop her if she goes to pee. Then there's no chance that she can sneak off and potty somewhere else.

I don't think you really said either, is this DEFINITELY "on purpose" peeing, or could it be leaking/lack of bladder control?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Make sure she does not have a UTI (Urinary track Infection) then you just have to ignore the excited pee's she will out grow it.My Dachshund was about 2 years old but she is a little dog.Bigger dogs seem to out grow it more quickly.If it is really bothering you might try dog diapers but do not recommend them un- supervised she might eat them then might get an obstruction. You just have to be patient and ignore it.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Excitment/submissive pee is NOT a housebreaking issue. It's not something a dog can help. It "just happens." Owners can do a few things. Ignore her when you come home or go straight outside. Serene homecomings - be very calm when you come home vs excited puppy talk. Figure out what human body language and tones seem to make her pee. Dont reach down and pet her for 10-15 minutes.

You can desensitize to putting the leash on so she doesn't pee. But don't start this process right upon taking her out of her crate. Do it after she's emptied her bladder. GO SLOW under threshold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why won't it stop!?!

I got lost a while back with moving and things like that, but I am back because she hasn't improved.

She did have a few UTI's early on when I first got her, but those have been ruled out and she hasn't had one since she was about 4 months old.

I can't even get inside the house from work without her peeing in her crate. She will make it through the night or through the day, but the second she hears me up and about or hears my key in the door she will pee in her crate. On a very rare occasion she will not pee, but that happens maybe once or twice a week.

She is 9 mos old today, and she is still peeing inside. She hasn't done this in a while, but tonight she squatted down and just decided to pee on her dog bed.

It's mostly just her peeing in her crate before I can even get to inside the house or get to her crate to let her out. On those very rare occasions that she doesn't pee in her crate, she can barely make it outside up 5 stairs before she has to squat down and let it out!

I have tried literally everything you can imagine and talked to the vets when she was about 7 months about it. They said she will grow out of it, but I just don't think she gets it!

PLEASE HELP... I'm pulling my hair out and wasting a roll of paper towel every day or every other day with her because she pees in her crate every time I try to let her out! I don't think this is normal. It's beyond submissive and excited peeing...it's so strange

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I got lost a while back with moving and things like that, but I am back because she hasn't improved.

She did have a few UTI's early on when I first got her, but those have been ruled out and she hasn't had one since she was about 4 months old.

I can't even get inside the house from work without her peeing in her crate. She will make it through the night or through the day, but the second she hears me up and about or hears my key in the door she will pee in her crate. On a very rare occasion she will not pee, but that happens maybe once or twice a week.

She is 9 mos old today, and she is still peeing inside. She hasn't done this in a while, but tonight she squatted down and just decided to pee on her dog bed.

It's mostly just her peeing in her crate before I can even get to inside the house or get to her crate to let her out. On those very rare occasions that she doesn't pee in her crate, she can barely make it outside up 5 stairs before she has to squat down and let it out!

I have tried literally everything you can imagine and talked to the vets when she was about 7 months about it. They said she will grow out of it, but I just don't think she gets it!

PLEASE HELP... I'm pulling my hair out and wasting a roll of paper towel every day or every other day with her because she pees in her crate every time I try to let her out! I don't think this is normal. It's beyond submissive and excited peeing...it's so strange
Maybe she doesnt have full control over her bladder. I would say incontience but they normally leak when they are sleeping with that. I know no technical words for it but maybe (I think urethral sphincter) is weak and makes her lack control. Kyrah is incontient and I finally broke down and put her on pronin and its working miracles. Ask the vet if this is a possibility.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its just you! You make her happy :) my grandmas dog was the same way! She would be fine but as soon as she saw me she peed...it want like a full bladder release..just a dribble...but she also is a chihuahua! She doesn't dk it to nobody else just me..so I started moving really slow when I would approach her and just would say no pee pee peppers(thats her name)lol

Try that not much advice but migjt help :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
These kinds of issues can be tough! Our girl (perfectly potty trained) went through a brief phase after we moved where she went inside a couple of times and just decided that was pretty awesome from then on... We had to go back to basics. Luckily, she will not pee in her crate, so it wasn't a hard transition.

A couple of points to clarify:

1) How long is she home in her crate while you work? Could you perhaps get someone to come take her out halfway through the day until she gets back on track? That might help shake up the routine and keep her bladder emptier for when you come home.

2) Definitely give the "tether" method a try (as Abby suggested) when you're home. Just use a slightly longer leash and hook it to a belt loop. Then she's stuck to you, and you can catch her real quick if she starts to squat and get her outside.

3) Another go back to basics suggestion: really praise her a lot when she goes outside. Take treats with you and make a fuss whenever she poops or pees outside. That may help her a bit.

4) As previously suggested, perhaps it could be something like spay incontinence that only rears its head when she gets a little too excited. Worth looking into. If the meds helped quickly, you'd have a pretty good idea what the cause had been = )

5) In combination with someone helping take her out more frequently - as Adara suggested, it's really helpful if you ignore them for a few minutes when you first come home. It minimizes the excitement factor.

6) Also, it might be worth the $$ to have a pro come to your house and observe and see if he can find a reason for the behavior that you are missing. Perhaps it is something you are doing that a trainer could help you with. OR the trainer may be able to confirm that it appears to be an incontinence issue = ) Many trainers will do in home consultations that aren't outrageously expensive. Maybe check on here to try to find someone reputable in your area (there's nothing worse than dumping money on a worthless inexperienced trainer).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My adult son used to intimidate Charley Girl--I'd say until she was about 14 months old. He started giving her lots of treats, approaching her in a non-threatening way, allowing her to sleep on his bed when he visited, and she has finally stopped the nervous pees.

If it's that your girl leaks, there are medications the vet can prescribe for leaking.

Please keep us posted. Hugs to your girl.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I think she was doing this before the spay as well. She may actually need female hormone to tighten her up a bit (Stilbesterol) if there is nothing medically wrong.

I had a GSD once from a BYB who never got over the submissive peeing. If you even looked at him crossways, he zorro marked everywhere and he always felt so bad. He had a nervous temperament from the get-go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the help. Just want to update those of you who have provided me with some tips:

So, the pee problem has happened from the get-go, so before her spay. I tried the dog walker midday, and that didn't help so I stopped about 3 weeks ago (I had one from the time I got her at about 8 weeks until about 8.5-9 mos).

Oddly enough, she doesn't really pee anywhere other than her crate (from time to time she will have an accident in doors, but mostly when I am about to take her out and she gets excited). And I said it's odd, because everyone says dogs don't like to spoil their spot, but she has no issues being in her crate, but pees in it often when I try to take her out of it, or if I am up in the morning for a few minutes and don't take her out immediately.

The thing that seems to make the most sense is that she has a weak bladder and might need a tightening up of some fashion. She doesn't leak or anything like that ... I don't get it?

My vet said lots of dogs do this and eventually grow out of it, but she is just so big that it makes it impossible. She pees for me and for company I have over. I'll admit it's gotten a little better ... so now she will pee in her crate maybe 50% of the time before I try to take her out of it. It's just odd though- every dog my family has owned never had any issues with this and can hold their pee all day and night, and still not go when we get home!

I can't wait for the day that this happens with my little girl (well, pretty big at this point!!) Glover.

Any more suggestions are welcomed, but I've decided I will see how things go for the next month using some of these suggestions and then talk to my vet about the issue again if I don't see her growing out of it whatsoever.

:thinking:

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
It almost sounds like she has been trained to pee to be able to get out of her crate. "If I pee, Mom will let me out, right?" I don't know if that fits and I certainly don't know how to fix it. It is was me, I might try using an ex-pen or leave her in a utility room and see if she does the same thing there - see if it is crate related.

I thought I had the same issue with my puppy - she would sometimes sort of ignore the signals to pee, and pee where she was even though she wouldn't pee in her crate and could hold it for over 12 hrs. I let her out in the morning to get a biscuit but she takes her biscuit and runs back to a dog bed, eats it there, then hops into bed with Dad and stays there for another hour until breakfast time. After breakfast, she goes out and pees. Therefore, she CAN hold it. And I put it down to brain farts and twice she has deliberately peed on the bed when I have been ignoring her requests for play (we have a dog door that she loves to use so getting outside is not the issue).

I did manage to yell at her twice for starting to squat and pee in the house (even though that is not normally recommended) but I did it because she knows how to hold it and she knows where to pee etc. When she heard me angry (she is a little timid), she clamped up tight and raced outside. We haven't had any issues since then - about a month ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point vivienne00 - and I thought that for a while and certainly still do to some extent, but she will also pee in there before I get home. I'll get home to dried up pee in a crate and a dog smelling like urine. Or, more often, she will pee when she hears my keys in the door or my rain boots stomping down the stairs. So it isn't JUST when I am home, or when I come home.

I think her having a handful of UTIs when I first got her and for the first few months didn't help the cause, but we are well past that and it's still happening. She just has so much energy all the time, and it's as if when she wags here butt when she is excited, the pee just flows out of her! Gross visual, I know, but it's almost as through she cannot contain herself whatsoever, even when I am beyond calm and quiet with her! If she makes it out of her crate and I can't get the door open fast enough (or if I try to open the door first and then let her out of her crate) she'll pee right inside the door steps from getting outside!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,068 Posts
I'm wondering if she could have some kind of actual physical abnormality in her bladder/urinary tract system that keeps her system from acting properly. Have you mentioned that to your vet? That might be stretching it a bit, but she sounds like an unusual sort.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think her having a handful of UTIs when I first got her and for the first few months didn't help the cause, but we are well past that and it's still happening.
I am curious if your vet has ever taken a sterile urine sample and sent it for a culture and sensitivity test. If he is just checking her urine in-house, I would not be so sure she did not have an infection. Also: is her urine normal and concentrated? How much water does she consume during a typical 24 hours?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts