Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the posts...
I also read that puppy obedience classes should begin about 6 months. Is this accurate? The reasoning was that they would have all their shots and be ready.

I am excited about being heavily involved in training and obedience and I want to make sure I begin at the right time.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think puppy classes can start before 6 months....I was thinking more around 3-4 months, but I could be very wrong.

and no need to apologize for posting questions.......most folks on here are very happy to help if they can :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Some training facilities will take puppies as young as 9 weeks, which is what I did. There will be some training and some socializing with other pups and other people. They are very impressionable at that age and I think the more socialization they can get the better.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
The sooner the better for me i had Tia at a doberman rally at 8 weeks old,started her training at 12 weeks,socialize while young and make the training ring a happy place for them to be.
Don't think I have ever posted any of these but here is Tia at the Dobermann Rally with her breeder Julie just trying her first agility jump(think the judge lowered the jump slightly)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Puppy can be taught simple things as young as 5 weeks.. Raven was 6 weeks and was sitting on comand repeatly within 1 day of work.. It is never too young to start teaching the basics..

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We will be starting Jada in obiedience classes next month. She will be 5 months old. However we have already started some training at home.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I think I started ******* at around 16 weeks in obedience (puppy class). But I took her everyday to pet stores, parks, school yards, etc. And every place we went she worked on her sit, stay, gentle and so on. She had contact with little people, men, women, dogs, people with canes etc. Today, it has paid off, she loves everyone, although she was not around tons of kids, everyday. So she seems a little unsure of them. I don't know alot of people with kids so I can't figure out how to socialize her more with them. It's not like you can go up to kids and mom and say please pat my doberman...lol. Although I do try!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
tjmom said:
We will be starting Jada in obiedience classes next month. She will be 5 months old. However we have already started some training at home.
I think you need to post more pics. of Jada...she is a cutie pie!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
It was recommended to me that puppies should have completed their first set of vaccinations prior to starting puppy class/socialization. We started Chester the Chi a little on the early side (9 weeks) because, after all, he is a Chihuahua. I think it paid off as somehow or other my daughter was able to put a CGC with him before he turned a year.

The older literature I've read seems to view formal training as starting after six months. I think most people don't follow that rule anymore and start earlier. We got Lena when she was 16 weeks old. Our breeder had taught her ring basics and she had already been shown in a match. We attended one puppy class and our trainer placed her into intro obedience the next week.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
IMO - The younger the better. You can start at home. But I wouldnt reccomend taking him to any classes if he has not had his shots. Most places wont allow you to anyway.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I am sure each training facility is different with the ages they allow to start, but overall, get them in one of these classes as so as you can. We got our girl into here puppy class at 4 months old. Even though we started working on commands, that was not the focus of the classes. It was primary to socialize the puppies and see how they act with each other and start to teach the owners about dog behaviors. I remember my instructor saying that 70% of all bad behaviors are caused by their owners. They don't address the situation and accept the behavior and do not change it. These are great foundation classes for future training classes. One of our goals in the class was to have our puppy meet 100 new people and visit 50 new location by the time they were 6 months old.

Get started as soon as you can, you will enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
The local doberman club here usually starts the basic obedience at 16 weeks but I was pregnant when I got Cleo so we started her earlier, at 12 weeks. She was the youngest in the class and did wonderfully despite having a pregnant handler with a broken foot. We did not make through the whole training and had to cut it short when it came down to things that I was not able to do. The teacher helped as much as she could until the classes got to be more advanced. We kept up with the training at home and she did wonderfully and I had a very well behaved dobe through her whole life (pet only).

As far as socializing with children, we had Mansen who was an adult when the first was born and Cleo was about 10ish months old. I always kept up with socializing with everybody and yup, I did walk up to little kids and parents and ask if the kids could pet the dogs, even after the kids were born and older even. Some people would call it "foolish" but I NEVER worried about my kids or any other kids with my dogs and I owe it to major socialization throughout the lifes if the dogs.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Our Obedience classes beagn once all the necessary puppy vaccines were given. I think Java was around 5 mos? Doesn't mean you can't buy/borrow a book like 'Puppies for Dummies' and start basics at home, 10 min a day two or three times a day.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I started obedience training my pup at four to five months old. Obedience without conflict (Ivan Balbanov DVD's). She was heavily socialized and taught basic manners before then. By 8 months old - she knew the Schutzhund 3 obedience routine - pretty impressive if you know what this involves. Believe me I am no master trainer, I just followed the tapes step by step, without having to use any compulsion at all. My girl loves obedience work as well as tracking - never used any compulsion with either of them. I'll be doing the same with my new pup as well.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I started my pups the minute they came home with me learning commands and socializing. We didn't do formal classes until they were older. Some clubs around here have puppy classes starting as early as 8 weeks. They work the puppies on basic commands and provide instructions on basic care.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Tia started puppy class at around 4 months and has now just started one to one training (she is 6 months). I had started with very basic commands as soon as she joined our family (about 10 weeks of age) and within the first week would sit, lie down and staywhile I walked around 5 paces. I have never known another breed learn so quickly!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey started puppy classes first....it goes from about 10 weeks to 16 weeks, Petey was 14 weeks when we started, so we went to only 2 classes, and then we started positive puppy obedience class...clicker training. He is now 20 weeks old, and he likes going, and it is helping him get socialized with other dogs, which he is having trouble with. I am planning another type of training next, a little stricter...because my boy is a HANDFUL....and very large already!

Go as early as possible~it is good for you and your baby! Have fun! Puppies are so great!

Carol

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Petey started puppy classes first....it goes from about 10 weeks to 16 weeks, Petey was 14 weeks when we started, so we went to only 2 classes, and then we started positive puppy obedience class...clicker training. He is now 20 weeks old, and he likes going, and it is helping him get socialized with other dogs, which he is having trouble with. I am planning another type of training next, a little stricter...because my boy is a HANDFUL....and very large already!

Just wondering what kind of training you will be doing that is more strict? ******* was a handful to, and I thought (still do) that I had a little devil girl!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts