Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Doberman Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to the doberman breed. My puppy is 10-weeks old today. I have noticed for the last 3 days that he acts like he has no strength in his back-end. When he runs, he runs fairly slowly in a hoping motion. He often does not like to come and will sit down a lot. When he goes to stand up, many times he acts like he barely has strength to stand. Also, he stumbles alot (we thought it was just being clumsy at first), but I don't know now. He does not act in pain or anything, just week in the hind end legs.
The vet looked at him today but was unsure. We plan to get x-rays on Thursday to see if there are any problems.... I know dobies have a history of bad hips (and Wobblers), but 10-weeks old seems way too early to show these signs?

Has anyone has experience with a young puppy showing these kind of symptoms? If so, what was the problem and result(s)? I am trying to think positive, but I was to consider the possibilities and the quality of life though process. Thanks ahead of time!!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
10 weeks is young for hip problems and/or wobblers to show up, but it does happen. If you have a Canine Chiropractor nearby, you might have him/her take a look. Last year my breeder had a puppy that was exhibiting similar symptoms and we all thought wobblers. Turned out something was out of alignment in her back and as I recall it was 2 visits to the Chiro and she was fixed.

What does your breeder say? At only 10 weeks you can't have had this pup long and I would expect the breeder would have some input and perhaps make things right if this turns out to be something like HD or Wobblers. Were both parents hips checked by OFA/Penn Hip?

·
Doberman Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does your breeder say? At only 10 weeks you can't have had this pup long and I would expect the breeder would have some input and perhaps make things right if this turns out to be something like HD or Wobblers. Were both parents hips checked by OFA/Penn Hip?
That is my problem. We bought him from a breeder that is not well known. The parents looked fine and a previous litter were fine. So... we took our chances. One of the two puppies is doing great... it's just one of them is not. The breeders might make it right, but they haven't shown much interest at this point. Upsetting.
If the x-rays come back... we might look at trying a chiropractic adjustment.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
That is my problem. We bought him from a breeder that is not well known. The parents looked fine and a previous litter were fine. So... we took our chances. One of the two puppies is doing great... it's just one of them is not. The breeders might make it right, but they haven't shown much interest at this point. Upsetting.
If the x-rays come back... we might look at trying a chiropractic adjustment.
I hope the vet can figure out what is going on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but going from the part I bolded, and the dogs' names in your profile, did this breeder sell you two male puppies?

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
I third this observation.

BIG RED FLAG. That breeder probably isn't well known for a reason... they have no idea what they are doing breeding these dogs AND are not doing the breed any justice.

As you know by viewing the site, it doesn't matter as much what the parents/lineage looks like on the outside, but the various health testing (on the inside) is crucial.

Also please read up on "Littermate syndrome" and "same sex aggression in dobermans". Males are more prone to SSA.

·
Doberman Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fight as in rough play... or fight as in aggressive?

Brace yourself... it might just come down the the second as they mature.
I would say more like rough playing. They don't appear to be actually biting or anything aggressive. Act like puppies that are rough playing. It is just a pain because I have all hardwood floors and tile. So they are always slipping around and sliding.
I will check up on your suggestions above as well.

·
Doberman Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the x-rays today, it appears the puppy (at 10-weeks old) has a pretty bad case of hip dyspepsia and some small concerns with his spine. It is being reviewed tomorrow by a secondary vet to confirm the severity. He said we may even have to consider putting him down as it may progress to be worse.
This is really upsetting. I contacted the breeder, and they said their dogs didn't have any kind of hip problems and don't seem to want to help much besides a "I'm sorry".

Anyways... Its upsetting that we will not have a little puppy to raise if it is recommended to put him down.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I'm so sorry, that must be very hard to hear. This is why it is so important to get a good healthy pup from a reputable breeder who will be there for you if anything goes wrong.

Please keep us updated. :(

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
After the x-rays today, it appears the puppy (at 10-weeks old) has a pretty bad case of hip dyspepsia and some small concerns with his spine. It is being reviewed tomorrow by a secondary vet to confirm the severity. He said we may even have to consider putting him down as it may progress to be worse.
This is really upsetting. I contacted the breeder, and they said their dogs didn't have any kind of hip problems and don't seem to want to help much besides a "I'm sorry".

Anyways... Its upsetting that we will not have a little puppy to raise if it is recommended to put him down.
Oh no... hip dysplasia in a puppy that young is heartbreaking. :( Depending on the severity, you might not have too many options for treatment.

It's a shame that the breeder is in denial about it. Sadly, when poor breeders say "my dogs don't have any hip (vWD, cardio, etc.) problems" it only means that they've never tested for them.

·
Doberman Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh no... hip dysplasia in a puppy that young is heartbreaking. :( Depending on the severity, you might not have too many options for treatment.

It's a shame that the breeder is in denial about it. Sadly, when poor breeders say "my dogs don't have any hip (vWD, cardio, etc.) problems" it only means that they've never tested for them.
Yes. They said you could try waiting until he is a year and half and try a certain procedure, but it's way too hard to wait that long if it's probably he will get worse and have another 12 months of limited mobility.
And yes, that is so true! It's really our fault - we knew the risk of not going to a reputable breeder. But, being sold cheaper than the typical ($2500) and having good luck in the past with dogs - we took a chance. :(

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
Yeah, I'm willing to take my chances with rescues (that's all I've ever had), but when/if I ever purchase a pup, the information that I've learned here about what to look for in a breeder and their dogs will be invaluable.

Hugs to your puppies.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Wow, very sad. 10 weeks. Look at the puppy lemon laws in your state. It may come down to deciding to give the puppy back to an unknown future though, which I just couldn't do. Talk to your vet about some of the procedures that can be done at this age. I know there is one that cannot be done on older dogs, especially once grown and arthritis starts to set in. The one I know about is called TPO.

My foster dog has severe hip dysplasia and it is very hard to watch him sometimes, especially after a hard busy day. He is too old for the procedure but may be a candidate for replacement in the future. I see the pain he is in and just want to shoot whoever let this go for so long.

·
Doberman Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a response on the recent news...
The puppy was confirmed to note have any spine problems, meaning we don't have to put him down. He has a right hip problem where the joint did not develop. He said there is a chance it will develop as he grows... Or that he will use it enough and gain muscle around the joint to keep it from dislocating.
Once he is a year old or so, we can take another look - and there is a procedure to shave off some of the joint so that it moves more freely, which would strengthen it as well.

As for observations, the last two days he magically seems to be much more mobile. He is going up and down the stairs just fine and getting up easier than he was before. It could be that we are letting him rest a little more, but fingers crossed he continues getting better and will be able to function as an active adult dog.

Thank you for all the support!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 20 of 23 Posts