Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure Most of You have heard about this Breeder and checked out the Website www.AmarisDobe.com if so then it's Pretty easy to tell it's nothing but a Puppy mill. I was Reading through the Site about how they run things and ect. so i sent a E-mail asking a few Questions I figured no harm would be done. Just to clarify I wasn't nasty or anything of that sort in the Letter. Anyways Today I Checked my Mail and to say the least I was Shocked They didnt Answer anything. She just said I didnt know the Value of a Good Dog or a Dollar and ended with Your a Coward feel better yet? The one Question I asked was pretty simple and to the Point. In the About Section on their Site it says Most kennels in today's market "make a quick dollar" mentality will breed almost any two randomly acquired Doberman Pinschers just to produce puppies with little regard to selection of correct type breeding. Ofcourse I Knew there were places like this out there but idk just something about this one really Rubbed Me the wrong way. People are Paying up to 4 Grand for Dog that knows Basic Commands and it gets Delivered right to your Door step Why exactly? I guess if You dont know anything and are Ignorant it could seem appealing. Theres not a time when they dont have a Dog for sale thats for sure.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would not call them a puppy mill. I do not think I would call them backyard breeders either. From what I can see it looks like they health test, have guarantees and have a breeding program at least on their lines. I do not like the look of their animals thou.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I haven't checked the site too throughly yet, but I have heard of them, probably commercial breeding is the best way to describe it. But like I said, I have no knowledge of them other then what I've heard second hand, and I try not to rely on that kind of info. It's possible that they may do all their health testing and etc, and still just produce too many litters which is a negative. Although I did see a title under one photo I looked at that made a referance to "superiour size", so that's not a great thing. I plan on checking out the site more carefully later.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Amaris used to be located in California, I gather they've moved to the midwest. Their (bad) reputation lingers, tho!

At one time this was an albino breeder. Besides some questionable breeding practices, the rescues in her area complained about having to deal with her dogs all the time, and there are a lot of reports about not returning deposits, etc.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Lexus said:
Although I did see a title under one photo I looked at that made a referance to "superiour size", so that's not a great thing.
The dog with the BH? A BH isn't really a title, it's a certification that the dog passed a basic temperament test, something required for all dogs who want to compete in schutzhund.

Another interesting thing to note is the two dogs who appear in show-type photos WERE NOT bred by Amaris. They're well bred dogs who unfortunately wound up in her Brandi Canfield's hands.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Murreydobe said:
The dog with the BH? A BH isn't really a title, it's a certification that the dog passed a basic temperament test, something required for all dogs who want to compete in schutzhund.
"Although I did see a title under one photo I looked at that made a reference to "Superior size", "

I think you misunderstand what I was commenting on. I was referring to a title under a photo I saw that made a reference to "Superior size" dogs. Another word would be a caption under a photo in this case.

Not a dog that was titled.

·
Super Moderator
15,321 Posts
Anytime the first question or comment to a breeder is about money, the breeder is going to get a little flippant or irritated and assume you are uneducated on the subject. sometimes something doesn't seem legitimate when in fact it is. It is hard to label a breeder/puppy producer without meeting the animals, facility, and looking at comprehensive health tests and pedigrees. In this case i think you are correct though, I mean, look at some of the blatantly puppy pushing text on the homepage :/ It's as though this breeder is churning out the pups for a quick buck.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
brandi (or whatever name she tries to use now) is an unethical breeder.

she SAYS she does health testing, but the proof is in the pudding.

the ONE titled dog isnt even handled by her - its a dog someone else owns. she markets him nonstop and breeds him to anything she can.

she charges outrageous amounts of money for dogs that know little to nothing - recently (last year) one of the dogs osmoene paid thousands of dollars for to come "trained" ended up in rescue at i believe under a year old.

what titles does she have? which dogs of hers are actively competing in any performance events? what temperament evaluations or evaluations of structure does she have?

what warrants her ridiculously inflated prices?

nah, ill leave aramis dobes under that list of crappy breeders out there for a profit.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what i've been waiting to hear i'm glad someone knows about Her. The Impression from the Site led me to think Wow she isnt any Good. Then ofcourse the E-mail I got from Her. I didnt come across like i was Stupid and ask Questions that would have any reason to upset her in anyway. It's all about the Profit which is pretty Sad to Me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
greenkouki said:
Anytime the first question or comment to a breeder is about money, the breeder is going to get a little flippant or irritated and assume you are uneducated on the subject.
The breeder I worked with didn't get irritated with me for asking questions about price. It's a lot of money. She took the opportunity to show me WHY she asked that price for her dogs. What was in their bloodlines, what their parents/siblings had accomplished, health testing that was done, longevity reports, etc. If I go to a furniture store I expect to be sold on why Couch A costs three times as much as Couch B. With most...many Dobies costing quite a bit more than couches :eek11: I expect the same information to back up the asking price!

P.S. - I wasn't meaning to harp on the Amaris subject and bring this back up. There was a link in a current thread to this thread and I wanted to respond to the above statement!

·
Registered
606 Posts
One of their stud dogs is 31inches. Thats a bit oversized. My personal opinion as far as showing goes, he's not much to look at.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you look under FAQ they basicly say they dont beleive in Titles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amaris

I live in Massachusetts and have an 11.5 yo Amaris bred male Doberman (I have his papers) that I adopted from a rescue league in New Hampshire. I adopted him when he was 2yo. At age five he required TPLO surgery to his knee and he has Cardiomyopathy. He has a wonderful tempermant. He is large at 95lb (not overweight). I was thinking of contacting Amaris to obtain another dog when he dies but now I think I'll go back to the rescue league.

After I had my dog for a few years I called Amaris to learn more about him. I explained how I acquired my dog and was told that he is to be returned to Amaris. I explained that I had him for over 5 years. After reading the postings on this site and remembering that she never asked how the dog was doing or seemed to care about how I came to have him, I realize she must not be overly concerned with the well being of the dogs. Thank you all for educating a novice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts