Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 9 wks old pup here, taking her out for little play time is a bit of challenge as she loves running to lawn and eat grass, leaves or mulch whatever she can get hold of. Please suggest how we can redirect her behavior.

On the other note, she had her first vet annual well visit yesterday, 14.25 lbs and got DHPP vaccine.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
When our pup was tiny, we kept her on leash in the yard. We worked on engagement during this time, as well as praising toy use int he yard vs chewing on inappropriate things.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Get a handle on the eating ...no fun to deal with obstructions of any kind.
Suggest supervising puppy at all times and teach this behavior is unacceptable.
Never to soon to learn “Leave It” and redirect the dogs attention.
If dog successfully leaves the object to be with you - reward with “Yes” or a favorite toy.

·
Mile High Dobe
11 Posts
My boy ate grass like a cow for years. A lot of Dobermans do from what I've gathered. We got him trained to where he wouldn't do it in front of me, but doberman's think they're pretty smart and as a result he'd definitely go for some when he thought I wasn't looking.

That said, I switched him off of his grain free diet a little while back and like magic he stopped trying to eat grass. I should have tried it / listened sooner. Also make sure the food isn't filled with peas, lentils, and legumes as they apparently lead to heart problems. My boy is already there now and DCM is very common in Dobermans.

Here's what he's currently eating: https://acana.com/en_US/about-acana...-wholesome-grains/ds-aca-american-waters.html

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Every single one of my Dobermans have grazed on grass like cows (I've had Dobermans since 1993) - I don't worry about it unless they are eating other stuff. I have not noticed any difference with what I feed them .... and they get veggies every day.

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
I have heard of dogs obstructing on grass. I think it kind of depends on how obsessive the dog is about grass eating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs everyone. I guess like many of you I have the cow type dobe lol. We'll keep redirecting her, real concern is she picking up a bigger piece of mulch or something that can get lodged. As far as her diet if that has any impact, she is on chicken with grains and veggies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts