Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 4 month old beautiful red and tan boy, who for the most part is a dream to own. He has been easy to train in all respects except for toilet training, which is a first for me so I'm no longer sure about what's normal and to be expected etc.

My last doberman was toilet trained by like 10 weeks of age (almost perfect at 7 weeks - but a few accidents after that were my fault), and never had any relapses. I had that one from 6 weeks (which I now know was a bit young), but I got this one at 8.

2 months down the track, and he really isn't toilet trained. Sometimes he will have a couple of days where he's perfect, takes himself to the toilet and everything. But then other days, he will just continually go throughout the house. I take him outside all the time still and most of the time he goes when I ask him to, but sometimes he won't, and because I can't watch him all the time, I sometimes assume he must have taken himself earlier. But then on some of those occasions, he ends up going in the house virtually as soon as he gets back inside. The worst part is, despite having come from a breeder, he has on 2 occasions now sought out his bed to urinate. He sleeps in this bed every night, but about 1/2 hour ago, he went over to his bed, ate it for a bit, and then peed on it.

He has been to the vet and has been cleared for health issues.

Has anyone else experienced anything else like this? How long on average does it take to toilet train a male doberman (was I super lucky before)?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
All my Dobes including my current were trained within a two week period. I'm afraid I can't be of any help but I'm sure some of the experts on DT will be able to help. Best of luck, don't give up !

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Routine

Routine is a big key. If he was my dog, I would watch him every minute. I'd get rid of the bed at least for now. I'd use a crate if I could not supervise him. If he did go, he would go directly outside. I would catch him in the act...if not before.

All of our dogs housetrained very quickly but we did crate train them and watch them at all times when they were in the house. From the crate, they would go directly outside. Always went and we always praised. Later on, the crate wasn't needed but it was worth it and to me necessary in our situation.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,100 Posts
Perhaps you should try going back to the beginning--if he's in the house and not being watched like a hawk, he should be in a bare crate (no bed) just big enough for him to turn around in.

I think I would leash him to me while he was free in the house--then you should be able to catch him at the first sign before he pees and get him outside, and yet you will be able to move around doing your chores, etc. (more or less).

Try to maintain a schedule with feeding and playing and do the puppy routine--outside when he wakes up, outside after he eats or drinks, outside after vigorous play.......Go outside with him and praise, praise or even treat him when he goes--just as if he were little. No yelling or punishing him when he pees in the house--think of it as your fault that you didn't see his signals and didn't show him the proper place to go (easier said than done, I know!)

Make sure the places where he has gone are scrubbed and treated with an enzyme product that eliminates pee odors.

Make sure you're not getting so busy and involved with something that you're missing the signs that he needs to go outside--he may just be fending for himself, so to speak.

All of this is a painful process involving a lot of your time and attention, I know, but so is mopping up pee continually. I think with a couple of weeks of supreme effort like this you can have the potty training under control.

Good luck.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am having a similar problem - but my dog is peeing in his crate! It is on the larger side, and unfortunately doesn't have a divider and he keeps peeing in it! He used to cry at night to go out and I ALWAYS got up with him, but now... he just pees in there. All I have is a simple towel down. He's getting better in the house, but we're still having accidents. I've had my boy since he was 9 weeks - now 11 weeks and I'm finding if I crate him at all - even right after I've taken him out - he'll pee.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
27,100 Posts
Two suggestions--one is that you can use boxes or plastic storage crates inside the dog crate to make the crate smaller temporarily. He should only be able to turn around to lie down--not able to pee and then move to the dry side to sleep.

The other suggestion, perhaps more unlikely at his age, really--is it possible that your pup has developed some separation/crate anxiety? If he pees the minute you put him in the crate, he may be peeing out of anxiety or fear. That's a whole 'nother situation. If you think that may be the case, look for some threads about it, do some research and start a new thread with your questions. That one might take quite a bit of discussing.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I would say you are being impatient. Dont get discouraged by boasting that someone trains their pups in one week ... forget that notion, it takes about ONE YEAR to fully train a pup, specially some males, and you are just begining.

As others suggest, keep:
a) a hawk eye on the pup
b) crate the pup in a size just enough. Though make it comfortable with a nice comfy bed (reward), but when it pees, take that bed away (punishment) and let the pup stay on the harder surface of crate. Trust me the pup would hate hate the harder surface.
c) Watch the pup, as soon as its acting nice, reward him, i.e. give it back the cleaned comfy bed.
d) keep repeating this cycle of reward and punishment.
e) Rewards could be: praise, treats, comfy bed
f) punishments are: no play, no treats, harder surface to sleep on.

This is going to be a long journey for you, so make it fun, try the bell method. Ring a bell before taking it out for pee. Games like that would help the pup obviously but also alleviate your tensions.

Trust me in few months upto a year, your pup would be as nice acting, as my Mofo is today. He was a very big pain till about a year, and some here gave some nice advice, and I'm so very pleased now ... Mofo now can even hold a diarohhea!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I am going to go back to watching him like a hawk!

I've had puppies have accidents before, what got me about this incident was that despite having the freedom of the whole house, he actually went to his bed and peed on it. He generally sleeps through the night, but if he does have to go, he has woken me up several times, we've gone outside and then back to bed. So it just made no sense to me that he suddenly went in his bed by choice :confused2

I praise him several times a day for going to the toilet, but if I ever catch him in the act of going to the toilet in the house, I do tell him no. Is that wrong? I don't say anything if I find a puddle, only if he's in the process of making the mess. I grab him and rush him outside, and if he finishes up I praise him like nothing else.

·
Banned
83 Posts
If you catch him in the act, just saying "no" is not enough ... as you have to make it evident the consequence, i.e.
a) using strong odor remover, so it realizes that after all it was no use of marking territory inside
b) no treats for a while, no play for a while, hard surface, tough life, he'll realize that that he's done something wrong.
c) then next time as soon as you take him out and he pees, immediately praise, treat etc.

This way you'll be clearly making it distinct, that to do it all outside - life is good and so much more fun. If he does it inside - he knows life becomes tough!

·
Super Moderator
27,100 Posts
I kinda wonder--when we were potty training our first dog, right about the time he was completely trained, he ate a bar of soap. All night long, it was drink and pee, drink and pee..........and we weren't very happy about it. But then, he purposely went over and peed on his bed. I felt bad; it seemed like perhaps he knew he wasn't supposed to pee in the house, so he peed on the only thing he knew was his because he couldn't wait long enough to go outside.

Maybe not, but who knows what goes on in their little pea brains (or is it PEE brains)? LOL

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions - but I'm still not having very much luck. My puppy used to cry at night when/if he needed out and I was up and taking him out and then back to bed. He doesn't do that anymore. I wake up EVERY MORNING to him having peed in his crate. I only keep towels in there for now because I don't want to ruin a puppy bed with urine if he's just going to pee on it. He's getting MUCH better with signaling when he has to go out if he's out of his crate - but other wise he just doesn't seem to care. I don't want to take the towels out because then he walks through the urine, or it gets all over him.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 12 week old started peeing on everything last week. His bed my sofa, floors and rugs. I took him to the vet Thursday and he has a urinary tract infection. He's been on antibiotics since and the problem stopped. I noticed he as drinking a lot and peeing a lot. Vicious cycle.

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
I probably already said this... I tether puppies to me during the day while they are loose. You will always catch them in the act if you use this method. Between that and a crate I have never had a problem with housebreaking.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
When they go out they should always be on a 6ft leash you on the other end, that way you know if they go or not if they do not go they are put back in their crate for about 30 minutes then try again. Pups do forget why they are suppose to be doing when outside you have to go with them to remind them you do not have to walk around just stand in the potty place you want the pup to use.Really need to be in their crate or tethered to you at all time then they are no accidents or it cuts down the likely hood of an accident.Always clean up accidents with the enzyme product for pet accidents need to really get the smell out even in the crate.Did you make the crate smaller by putting something in the back of it or a board to just make it big enough for the pup to stand up turn around and lay down.Any bigger than that they pee in it as you have found out.Also if you hang a bell on the door you ring it each time to go outside say lets go pee,potty or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. It does take time for the little light bulb to come on in a pup's brain.Good Luck

·
Registered
349 Posts
ladyballplayer, did you notice any strong odors from your puppies urine? I'm having similar issues with my new girl and I had none of these problems with my older boy when he was a pup.

I'm concerned she may have a UTI because of all of the peeing and such but everything I've read on it says the urine will have a VERY strong smell. My girls urine barely smells at all (and yes, I've checked it many times--blah :screama:)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm not having issues with Magnum peeing in the house - he's really good at telling me when he needs to go out and anytime he eats, drinks etc, I take him out.

It's the peeing in the crate that I can't seem to stop. He doesn't cry to get out of it to pee at night anymore. I'm trying something new and I've taken the towel out of his bed. It's more of a mess for me to clean up, but I'm hoping if he's forced to be in the wet the problem will stop *fingers crossed*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts