Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate this has to be my first post on here, as I wished I could chime in on cute puppy pics etc. But as it is life happens and we most go through it day by day. I purchased an 8 week old red male doberman puppy from a reputable breeder, four days later he came down with parvo. I was able to give him subcutaneous fluids over the night while he was sick and dehydrated before I made the decision to take him to the emergency vet. It has now been four days of intensive care 24/7. He is on an IV and only throwing up maybe 2-3 times a day and having diarrhea once or twice. Is this a milder case? Am I allowed to get my hopes up at this point he may survive, I automatically fell in love with Zeus and money is no problem when it comes to his health. I contacted the breeder and she fully refunded my money so no funny business there. Basically I'm just hoping you guys can ease my worry because of right now I am a nervous wreck.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
With Parvo there is no easy case that I'm aware of. I've read of puppies that seemed out of the woods and then out of no where they succumbed to it.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Do you know if any other pups in the litter are sick?

Parvo is tough on young pups, I hope your boy hangs in there.

Parvo can affect some pups more than others, I think it depends on each pups immune system. In a litter of mine many years ago 2 died, 4 were very ill but survived and one did not get sick at all.

It has been my experience that parvovirus runs its course in a week, so if your boy can hang on for a few more days he may make it.

Hugz to you and your pup.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,581 Posts
Severe parvo symptoms can last for 4 days to a week or more if the disease is treated quickly--but dogs can have relapses and dobes seem to be particularly susceptible to the disease.

Sound like you guys are on the right track though--keeping them hydrated is so very important.

He should be able to go home once the vomiting has stopped for 24 hours or more--depending on how severe his symptoms were. And of course, you would need to watch him very closely for any signs of relapses once he’s home.

Best of luck--parvo is a nasty disease with a very high mortality rate. It sounds like he is hanging in there though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update he's made it another day still exhibiting symptoms but our vet states that if he's made it this long that he's a strong fighter and there's a better chance of survival more then ever. Will continually post with updates, just waiting on that call that tells me my baby can come home. I pray for anyone ever going through this that they receive as much support as possible. I feel like this virus takes a toll on you as much as the puppy Thankyou guys for such quick responses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hugs to you and best wishes for you pup! My sister in law's Aussie puppy beat Parvo earlier this spring and he is a healthy and happy dog now. <3

·
Registered
74 Posts
Every case is different, but my friend was fostering a puppy for a local shelter earlier this year, when the puppy came down with parvo. He is fully recovered and happy as a clam, with no developmental delays. I hope the same turns out to be true for your little one. I also echo what greenkouki mentioned about disinfecting your house (and car).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are now on day 6 still vomiting I put my life on hold for the week and spent hours upon hours with him in the icu, he hit rock bottom yesterday but now he's walking/crawling to me for some puppy love and drinking water on his own. Today is a good day so far but it's early I will keep updating no matter what the outcome is.

Here is a photo of before and presently of my little man Zeus.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darkevs I apologize for not answering your question, I am not sure about other pups in the litter and that has been a major concern of mine. When I brought it up with the breeder she pretty much ignored the question even when I stated that she needed to let everyone of them know what happened.

However she has not been giving me the cold shoulder and continually asks about his well being and reimbursed as quick as she could.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Darkevs I apologize for not answering your question, I am not sure about other pups in the litter and that has been a major concern of mine. When I brought it up with the breeder she pretty much ignored the question even when I stated that she needed to let everyone of them know what happened.

However she has not been giving me the cold shoulder and continually asks about his well being and reimbursed as quick as she could.
I notice you are from Tallahassee. I am from the Tallahassee area also. I have sent you a private message with my phone number and you are welcome to call me at anytime. I have personal experience with Parvo, many years ago approx. 25 both in a litter I had as well as I also used to work out at the animal shelter when they were out by the airport. And so much parvo goes through there it is unbelievable. Parvo is survivable and it sounds like you did the right things as in getting fluids in until you could get to the vet. If you don't have pedialyte in an emergency situations I have also used Gatorade which is essentially the same thing with flavoring and coloring. I stay away from anything with red coloring in it. What you did that evening may be what saves your pups life. since one of the things they most often actually die from is dehydration due to the vomiting and diarrhea. usually about a week is what you are looking at. Lets hope yours falls in the average and is about to kick it. If the blood count is down which it sometimes is I make sure they give a vitamin K shot and I also feed it liver baby food (as a supplement) to also help.

·
Big Lil pup
6,241 Posts
I hope this works out well for you and your pup. I am familiar with canine Parvovirus. My first Doberman died of it in 1983. He was a healthy 9 1/2 year old who looked and acted like a 3 yo.

Parvo in dogs had just been identified as a specific disease in about 1979. It hit dogs worldwide in the early 80's. It was terrible. A scourge. The early vaccines were hit or miss. My boy, Britty, was vaccinated twice. First in 1980 with a feline vaccine variant (experimental) and later with one of the earliest versions of the canine version. Early vaccines were sometimes pretty much worthless, except for their educational benefits.

When he was stricken, even with the best of treatment, at his age, he passed within 3 days. It broke my heart.

Great improvements have been in both the prevention and treatment of Parvo. Hopefully Zeus will pull through.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your little boy

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't know if Mrhodes3 has gotten any of my PMs. I have tried 3 times and they don't show up in my sent box. am I doing something wrong? wouldn't be a big surprise I'm not the most tech person around.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mrhodes3 if you haven't received a pm from me my phone number is 850-364-6191. I live in Havana just north of Tallahassee I work for Childers Construction and am a member of the Ochlocknee River kennel club. If I can be of any assistance or you just want to talk you can or text me at any time. I don't normally put my phone number out there on an open page but hey what is the worst that could happen? A couple of prank phone calls? maybe from 4x4bike ped:grin2:

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Mrhodes3 if you haven't received a pm from me my phone number is 850-364-6191. I live in Havana just north of Tallahassee I work for Childers Construction and am a member of the Ochlocknee River kennel club. If I can be of any assistance or you just want to talk you can or text me at any time. I don't normally put my phone number out there on an open page but hey what is the worst that could happen? A couple of prank phone calls? maybe from 4x4bike ped:grin2:

I just sold that number to everyone! I'm gonna make millions$$$$!!!

I'm worried that we haven't heard anything for a while. I hope all is ok.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts