Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey!
My fiance and I recently adopted a doberman puppy..
He's 7 weeks old, yes that's awfully young but the breeder said his mom ran out of milk and got mastitis so she was letting them go a little early, and wouldnt hold him :(
Anyways... I noticed when we got our pup he had a few little bumps on his belly that looked like scars and I thought it was just from puppy play bites with his brother's and sisters...
Few days later..kenai ate a piece of a slug and had horrible diarrhea :(
I took him to my work (I work at a veterinary hospital) and we gave him some barium and he was fine but the next day he broke out in massive hives ALL over his belly!!
I gave him benadryl and that seemed to calm them down but they keep coming back! They start out as little hives and then scab and when the scab flakes off it leaves a red ring like ring worm...but the skin scraping confirmed it was NOT ring worm...
My work doesnt want to give him any antibiotics because he's so young, but im wondering if this could be food allergy.. the breeder had him on pedigree puppy chow, and I slowly weened him off of it and onto the food I feed my other dogs (but the puppy brand) when he broke out in hives and that's Chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul...
His hives have seemed to calm down a bunch but he still gets one or two every once in awhile...
My question is, does anyone else have this problem with their dobies? and also what is a good food to have him on?? I dont want to keep switching him because its unhealthy so for now I want to keep him on this but in the future what would be a good food?
Sorry this is so long haha

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
To a healthy pup, I never feed puppy food...just "all life stages" (ALS).

Good luck with Canidae (chicken/turkey mostly) and Holistic-Blend (lamb&rice)...50/50 blend sometimes.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I think you are confused. Bitches do not nurse their puppies until 7 weeks. Puppies are usually fully weaned by four weeks. The importance of not taking a puppy home too early is so that they are socialized properly with their siblings and mother after weaning. It is not surprising a BYB trying to dump a puppy early fed you this garbage.

Your pup is likely too young to be showing food allergies.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I wouldnt feed canidae to a doberman pup, ( I wont start this debate but ) I have seen and heard of many people that dont believe in puppy food but have fed canidae with horrid consequences, particularly in Great Danes and Large Male Dobermans.. I recently switched my girl from Canidae ALS (was east/west slight knuckling) to Artemis Medium/Large breed puppy and the improvements are huge.. there are many threads on food and although I believe in ALS I will say it just didnt work for my new girl (did for my other girl).

Any way. My girl gets hives, she has to have a telfast 180 every morning (so do I). You could do allergy tests I guess but it could be anything around your home, yard and maybe food.

Good luck with your boy.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The bumps are probably staph. Staph is common in doberman puppies until their immune system matures and takes care of it. Vets often wait to see if the pups immune system will take care of the staph rather then jumping to use antibiotics. Let your vet lead you on this. The pup is too young to know if he has any allergies or is going to develop any. However, recurrant staph infections can be one sign of a food allergy. The food you are feeding is okay if it is what you like and your pup does well on it. Just space the shots, dont give a combo shot and rabies on the same day and dont worm on the same day you do shots. Space anything that is going to stress the pups system out with a week or better two weeks between them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
How can people still fall for the good old "backyard breeders tricks" amazes me.....and you "bought" you did not "adopt". Hopefully the vet you work with can help.
The puppy probably has a weak immune system and/or staph skin infection.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,441 Posts
I am not a vet so this is only my opinion I am guessing staph. When my Roxy was a young girl she got bumps-hives, the vet stated staph. It is common in young puppies as thier immune system is not developed. Please see a vet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can't comment about the skin irritation, but I can give you my two cents of what I feed our pup.

Our breeder said that she's found FROMM (whitefish and potatoes) have worked out to be the best, and gives their coat the best shine. I also mix BilJac into it. Only problem with FROMM is that it's hard to find, and more expensive than your other brands.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I would agree with your vet in that I wouldn't want to give antibiotics unless I knew there was a skin infection going on that needed to be treated with antibiotics.

I am all for treating when necessary, but we overuse antibiotics to a huge extent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is most likely staph. I am sure your vet will want to give him antibiotics but remember if he had a healthy immune system he wouldn't have staph. It is also possible since he came from a byb she didn't keep her puppies clean. If your vet prescribes antibiotics, be sure you do probiotics after to replace the flora. I would recommend finding a good holistic vet, a vet that isn't going to overwhelm this puppy with vaccinations, pesticides and horrible science diet food. I am a raw feeder so I don't not believe in puppy food or canned/kibble foods at all. Canidae was a good food many years ago but it has seen been sold and the ingredients were changed there are much better options out there.

You didn't by any chance vaccinate this puppy at this early age?

I strongly recommend following Dr. Jean Dodds vaccination protocol.

DR. JEAN DODDS' CANINE VACCINATION PROTOCOL – 2010

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kenai's bumps went away. It was just some puppy skin issues..
For all of you that corrected me on the word "adoption"
I did ADOPT him considering we do not have any kids he is our furbaby. He is part of our family. When you adopt a child you also pay for that child, sign adoption forms, and care for that child for the rest of it's life...
There is no difference in adopting a furbaby or a real baby!
The breeder I got him from was not a BYB, mom and dad were both OFA checked and certified, and each puppy came with a clean bill of health and a contract stating she would take him back at any time of his life for full amount. She has kept in contact with me through this whole process answering any question I have had and even offered to pay the vet bills. How many of your "breeders" would have offered that??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts