Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO WERE NEW HERE AND NEED SOME ADVISE

My wife and I took in a red 7 month old dob puppy in January. Before we got her she was kept outside in a crate, the poor thing..Kona is 10 months old now, and we are having an issue with her skin... her coat was pretty thick for a dob (I'm sure from sleeping outside every night) and really dry when we got her but her skin has been getting worse these past few weeks, even with good food and bathes. She has dry parches and lumpy scabs all around her neck and now on her rump. Her hair is falling out around these areas. Our first thought was mange. We took her to the vet a week ago to have it checked out. The vet said it wasn't mange but it could be a food, or flea allergy (even though we are on top of flea control and haven't seen a SINGLE one on our dogs or in our house.) Our vet took two skin samples and said she couldn't see a parasite, so it may be an allergy. The vet said shes in good health overall, just her poor skin..So for a week we bathed her with hypoallergenic shampoo, cut her off treats, washed her blankets with organic soap, kept her collar off and even put her on a stronger flea medicine just in case. We even took away her plastic and stuffed toys and only gave her bones and cow hooves.. We have another doberman who is in perfect health and has a beautiful coat, so it doesn't appear to be anything contagious.. We have them on grain free food its called Natures Domain from Costco. However, Kona's coat is getting worse. The lumps and scabs are spreading up her neck and she is loosing more hair. We just changed her to Purina food to see if that helps and if its still bad, we are going back to the vet this week..Just thought I would see if anyone had any ideas on what this may be???
Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
try taking her off of poultry as well as grain free. Jazz had alot of dry skin issues, as well as tummy troubles. Turned out to be the poultry. Did your vet do a skin scrapping?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Just wondering what her poops are like, are they firm, soft or runny? Our boy Soter is allergic to pretty much everything. From what you're describing her skin issues sound very similar to what Soter had. Hives on the top of his head, extending down his neck and starting onto his shoulders and hair falling out around the hives. He would scratch and break open the hives until they were open sores. This however was in the very severe stages of allergies, the first sign we had that something was wrong was soft poops, turning runny then to diarrhea and at the same time patches of his coat were turning very dark. He looked like a wierd Dalmatian mix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar problem with my red Dobie for several months. It was probably a food allergy and a doggie dermatologist put him on Claritin, two tabs twice a day. He said that it was caused by an immature immune system. I did the Claritin for a year, the skin immediately cleared up, and now he is problem free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 10 week old Blue. According to the Vet he said that some Dobe's (especiall blue like mine) suffer from dry skin. He also said that this breed of dog sometimes suffers from alopecia areata (hair loss) and that by the age of 1 dogs who have this condition will be completely bald by that age. He prescribed a multivitamin and a special diet for him. Overall he is excellent health

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 10 week old Blue. According to the Vet he said that some Dobe's (especiall blue like mine) suffer from dry skin. He also said that this breed of dog sometimes suffers from alopecia areata (hair loss) and that by the age of 1 dogs who have this condition will be completely bald by that age. He prescribed a multivitamin and a special diet for him. Overall he is excellent health
Oh, my. I think your vet could stand a bit of Doberman education.

Okay, the dry skin thing. Dobes, as a breed, are prone to low thyroid, which can cause poor skin and coat. However, a Dobe with normal thyroid (ether natural or with medication) shouldn't have a problem. Poor skin is NOT a color related thing.

As for the alopecia, it is common in dilutes (blues and fawns). It's even called Color Dilution Alopecia, or CDA. Some dogs live to a ripe old age with barely noticeable hair loss. Other dogs wind up bald at a fairly young age. Your dog doesn't need any special multivitamin or diet. A good quality food, with possibly the addition of fish oil, is sufficient. Hair loss in dilutes is genetic, and not necessarily related to food.

One more thing to note on supplementing with vitamins is that it can throw off the calcium to phosphorus ration in the puppy's diet, which can cause skeletal problems as your puppy grows.

Please, stick around. There are people on here with more knowledge about Dobes in their little finger than I'll ever have in my whole body. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts