Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Russell & Rex
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all hope some one can help, my 15 week old puppy was attacked yesterday by a small terrier type dog, :( as you can imagine rex is pretty shook up and is lying here beside me just not at himself. yesterday we were walking at my OT house when this little dog just locked onto rex groin area beside his hip poor pup looked to be in so much shock as he thought all dogs were playful.

my question is rex seems alot better today moving freely, still shocked but getting better, he has a small tooth mark about an inch from his nipple about 2mm in size what should i do or treat it with? please remember this is my first dog and im as shook up as the pup is :(

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Aww, I'm sorry to hear about Rex hope he's feeling better soon! :(

I think its really important to be really wary of other dogs, especially at a time when they're so impressionable. You ideally want to make sure all his encounters with other dogs are short and pleasurable. I would keep him on a lead and only introduce him to dogs which you know are very friendly, and keep the meeting just enough for them to have a bit of a sniff. Taking him to a puppy class would be a good idea to keep him social too.

I would take him in to the vet just to check everything is okay. If its just small, they'll probably tell you to clean it with a warm salt water solution but best to check with them.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
get it checked by the vets and officially recorded. Probably worth reporting it to animal control as well, even if only so the statistics record that small dogs bite and do damage.

hope your boy feels better soon and doesn't let it set him back or make him fearful.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I recommend getting a trainer right away, you don't want a fearful Dobe on your hands. I would also change the way you respond to a situation like that, a lot of the times we humans create the dogs fearful reaction by over reacting to those type of situations.

an example would be say a puppy is standing with you in the kitchen, a tray falls off the counter and makes a loud noise near the puppy. The puppy freaks out by the sound and yelps and runs away.

what most people do is run to the puppy and picks it up and feels sorry for the puppy and continues to say oh poor puppy. when the more appropriate way to react would be get down near the object that fell and try to get the puppy to investigate the object by smelling and figuring out by themselves that the object means them no harm, that way they over come the fear they felt and they gain gain a little more confidence.

They same theory would apply to when your pup gets attacked, you want to stay in a calm assertive state of mind and try to handle the situation in a calm matter. The more you freak out so will the puppy, when you introduce your puppy to other dogs you don't want to have that incident in the back of your mind and get all tensed up because your puppy will pick up on that and respond to that.

I would get a trainer so that they can assist you on re introducing you pup to dogs and help you how to respond to situations like that and how not to escalate it.

If your pup got any puncture wounds I would take the pup to the vet just in case, you don't know if the other dog has had all of their shots and you want to make sure your pup is in sound health.

·
Russell & Rex
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise, yea Ive been washing it with aloe vera to keep it clean... Yea i tried not to make a big deal of it but the terrier was fully Locked onto him for about 60 seconds until i ripped it off! Ive also had my brothers dog walk with him today just to reassure him that all dogs arnt bad!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
First I would have half killed the terrior - then called the police or animal control - what if the dog was not vaccinated??? Dog bites are nasty - he needs to be checked by a vet and put on a round of antibiotics.

Be very very cautious walking a puppy you have to watch out for the idiots.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If there is any chance that the little "tooth mark" is a puncture wound, I would take him to the vet and get antibiotics. Also talk to the vet about making sure it heals right (from the inside out). If it scabs and heals on the outside, first, then he could end up with an abscess and that is no fun.

Also, I second the puppy socialization class, idea. My kiddo ended up at the bottom of a dog pile when she was about 5 months old (we were at a community dog event and the fence between the off leash/ on leash areas ended up with a hole in it and well...Anyway, my kid has been completely freaked of more then one dog, in her space, at a time, since then. Its amazing how little things can have a lasting impression.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
First I would have half killed the terrior - then called the police or animal control - what if the dog was not vaccinated??? Dog bites are nasty - he needs to be checked by a vet and put on a round of antibiotics.

Be very very cautious walking a puppy you have to watch out for the idiots.
Huh??? Killed the terrier?? O.k. then.:rolleyesww: Maybe shook and strangled the owner.

I do agree that he needs to see a vet, that wound could have gone much deeper than you think. Also, infection is a possibility with dog bites. Your vet might want to put him on a round of antibiotics as a precaution.

He is probably very bruised to say the least and I wouldn't except to much out of him for the next week or so.

Reactions: Adara
1 - 9 of 9 Posts