Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently got a Doberman puppy. When we rescued her, a couple days later we found out she had parvo. She was treated for that and recovered successfully. At that time all we could get her to eat was boiled chicken.

After a week of her getting back home and eating her chicken, we noticed she was starting to lose hair. We took her to the vet and did a skin scraping but they found nothing. I started thinking it might be a food allergy to chicken so I have since switched her to Blue Buffalo, fish and sweet potato.

Her hair loss doesn’t seem to be getting worse but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better, either.

Any advice?

I will try and post a couple pictures when I go home for lunch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you any updates on this?

I bet she is having some kind of allergy to something definitely.

Just go and try walmart crap food for a while and see if it helps. I think sometiems all those fancy foods are a cause for some dogs and some dogs just need bottom bucket crap food. Then you can step it upa notch to something better.

Source: Im not a vet, Im nothing special, just thinking like a child!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you any updates on this?

I bet she is having some kind of allergy to something definitely.

Just go and try walmart crap food for a while and see if it helps. I think sometiems all those fancy foods are a cause for some dogs and some dogs just need bottom bucket crap food. Then you can step it upa notch to something better.

Why resopnd with this crap..... child is right.

To the OP I would be back to the vet asap for another assessment.
And has she always had these blad spots,, since you rescued her?

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts

Are you for real? You have to be kidding. Why would you want to feed a dog with skin issues essentially corn chips with the inedible parts of a chicken mixed with sugar? How would that help the skin, coat, and system replenish?

To the OP - can you please clarify the timeline here... when did she get parvo, and when did you stop the chicken?
Did the vet do any other bloodwork or have any suggestions or did they just think it was food allergy?
It often takes weeks to get the benefits of a new food, and I would think that hair loss would take a while to recuperate from. Maybe it's just too soon?
Were there any issues with her skin or coat prior to the parvo?

I think that's enough questions for now. ;)

I'm happy she recovered from her illness- parvo can be scary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got her just shy of 7 weeks. We had her for a couple of days, when we first got her she was covered in flees and had tape worms. We got rid of the fleas as soon as we got her, at that time she had no skin problems.

I thought at first her vomiting and lack of appetite was the dewormer we gave her but the next day she refused to eat and then finally we were able to get her to eat some boiled chicken but then she threw that up soon after, we took her to the vet immediately. She was diagnosed that Saturday with parvo and kept at the vet until the following Wednesday.

From then we fed her chicken. About a week to the day after she got back home she started having coughing fits and at the same time we noticed the small spots of hair loss. She was in the vet the next day, she ended up having kennel cough. I asked the vet to do a skin scraping as I had rescued a pit in the past that had a severe case of demodex and wanted to make sure that was not the problem. She tested negative and the vet really didn't say much else.

I gave it about a half a week and her skin continued to get worse. That was about a week ago, that is when I figured it might be an allergy to chicken as that is pretty much all she was getting with supplements. We switched to the blue buffalo fish and sweet potato. I think if anything it isn't getting worse but I really can't see it getting better either.

Sorry, I know that is a lot of information.

Hope that helps out.

-Kim

·
Vaccination 4 Stupidity?
875 Posts
I feel like I have seen this before on this forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
Did the vet do a skin scrape to test for infections?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My boy had what looked the start of the same patchy hair loss - the vet said it was a bacterial infection so has put him on meds for 3 weeks, it seems to be working and he is not scratching himself as much. I have also been giving him puppy vitamins and fish oil in his dinner just one tablet twice a day - his skin and coat look and feel much better.
I also was bathing him with 'Douxo Cholrhexidine PS Shampoo' once a week as recommended by the vet.
Not sure which of these things helped the most but something is working - he feels much better
Hope this helps and you pup feels better soon :)

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
That sure does look like what my boy's Demodex looked like when it started out.... I know you got nothing off the skin scrapping but it looks very similar... I used ChlorhexiDerm (This Stuff) its supposed to kill bacteria and stuff, but it didn't work then my vet tried Pro Meris (worked for a while but came back) then last thing we tried was Mitaban... Worked but DO NOT use Mitaban on your own (has the potential to kill your pup)
This is probably the best pic I have of what it looked like (I tried not taking pictures of this side lol)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that is what has me worried. I have had experience with demodex myself with a pit I rescued in the past.

I switched her food today to taste of the wild as I noticed the blue buffalo fish and sweet potato still has chicken fat in it so maybe this will help. I am going to give it a few more days and then if I don't see any improvement I will be making a trip back to the vet.

Some of the original spots are looking better and seem to be growing hair but she is also getting a few new spots it looks like.

I gave her a bath with neem shampoo and started adding salmon oil to her food, once daily. Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't have any advice, sorry, but just wanted to say thank you for rescuing her, she sure needed you to come along - hope she's soon on the mend - looking forward to seeing some good photos when she's all black & shiny xxxxx

·
Registered
403 Posts
You might want to have them do another skin scraping. Sometimes it takes us several to get a positive as it's just chance that you get something the first time. Also, when looking for demodex, it's usually better to pluck the hair rather than scrape since the demodex mites live at the base of the hairs. Scraping is usually better for scabies (and she'd be crazy itchy with those). Don't want to tell your vet how to do the test, but that's how I learned it from a dermatologist. Demodex would certainly fit when you add stress (new home + parvo) and immature immune system.
It could also be a staph infection. In that case, they might want to put her on a course of antibiotics, although I'd rule out the other first since we hate doing antibiotics unless it's necessary.
Good luck with her and thanks for rescuing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
im having the same problem with my male dobe as well but its his rust fur that is gone its like peach fuzz i took him to vet n they said he has sum type of allergy but they didnt say what n i have pills hes on but it not getting better

·
Registered
46 Posts
When my dog was a pup he had this!! I switched his shampoo and stopped putting a coat shiner on him and it went away and has never came back. I use an oats shampoo now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
When a puppy has parvo it can really mess up their entire system and they are already having problem with immune system. All of this can cause problems like you are seeing.

If the vet does not see anything - I would put the puppy on some supplements, Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day, zinc (good for coat and can cause skin problems if they are lacking) 50 mg once a day, as well as the fish oil. Make a mix of apple cider vinegar and spray on coat once or twice a day (50/50 mix) and add a TBS to her food. Kelp is also good for skin issues.

I would not change to much else at this point as puppy has already been through a lot. I would give it a chance to see how the supplements and getting back to better health help. Sometimes you can start changing so much you don't know what is working or what is not.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
A food allergy at this age is highly unlikely.

Those pictures look typical of the moth-eaten appearance seen with staph pyoderma - which is common in young dogs (especially short-haired breeds).

Recommend calling your vet and telling him/her that the skin condition is not improving. This pup may need some antibiotics and a medicated shampoo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the same problem my Doberman puppy’s are 6 weeks and I took them to the vet and they gave me ringworm medication but I feel is not getting better
Dog Dog breed Working animal Liver Carnivore

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.