Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Third or fourth on the keeping kids away at least for now, and start from scratch. This one seems he may have some natural resource guarding, there is some good training puppy videos about touch & reward with the goal of knowing being touched anywhere as a positive/good thing.

Melbrod nailed it quite well, then go to the puppy having to sit / stay until given the okay to start eating. Even have the kids do that for him.

This was one of the very critical things I personally had to focus on as we take in fosters including small breeds so even a correction could be fatal. Mine even offers his raw bones to everyone now, so it can be done but varying success.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes I will instruct my kids to let him be for now and I love the idea of touch and give a treat to create a positive thing for him . Oh wow I can’t imagine having to train so many dogs ! You must be amazing at it ! Thank you so much for your advice !
Haha let's just say I am ;). I can certainly say different breeds means different training methods.

Had another one to put in with your training is a self calming/controling exercise. This one will actually help the puppy learn to self calm and as well as not be so food aggressive. You have him lay down and just out of reach is a small pile of his kibble or whatever motivates him for treats. Then with him staying in place take a couple and place between his front legs within range to eat, if he gets up going for the jackpot just cover with your hand and put him back into place. He'll soon get if he just stays in place he will get them all eventually and you as positive when eating!

In some time, just like regular feedings have the kids also do that. Piles more out there to help, but something to keep in mind is literally everything your doing with this puppy or even around this puppy is training!

·
Registered
196 Posts
It’s the start of control. If you cant stop your dog in mid eating. Sit stay till released you have zero control puppy will not take your hand off

I can give a dog a bone take it away. Or just drop it and give it back to them

Growling at a human is NOT allowed in this house period learnt in puppy stage is a must. Way before 6 months

I’ve been owner of other peoples rejects all my life. They all have been my best dog till the next one comes along
I can do all that and as mentioned mine even offers to share his food/bone with anyone.

One thing I should say, dogs that show no warning and snap are more likely to be put down before we can even have a chance to rescue them. They are much harder to work with as you don't know until the dog reacts. A growl shouldn't be taken as a negative or even a bad thing, it is simply communication "Hey, I am not feeling happy/comfortable/safe in this situation".

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great to hear about the toys! The trade technique is excellent, and another to make sure he always wants to share his toys is to make it more fun with you than alone. Such as little tug, flip the toy around etc. etc. Also, word of caution is to ensure any of his toys don't resemble small breeds such as the Yorkie, so any fur-like stuffies should be removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts