Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
IMO...A puppy should be allowed to eat in peace, undisturbed by kids and other pets.

What does help, in my experience, is to have your kids prepare and serve your pup his meals. My 5 yo grandson has always helped feed his Dobes, including their puppy. He has helped feed my Doberman since he was about 2 and just got his 2 1/2 yo brother get used to feeding him.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
Wow I have always messed with my dogs when their eating. Cover dish with a hand pet, poked cover dish move it with my foot. So much as a little growl food is gone for the day
I have to ask....

Why would you attempt to provoke a growl in a dog just to punish them by depriving them of their food? That is simply asking for trouble when it doesn't exist.

BTW.... Dogs growl for a very good reason. To deprive a dog of its innate "early warning system" is also asking for trouble. A dog that is not allowed to growl is the dog that may bite with no advance indication.

JMO

John L.
Portland OR

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
"Other dogs get done their faster it’s ok to stand watch the others no touch no growls from the one eating life is good"

I have always found it prudent to feed my dogs separately. This is especially true with 2 male Dobermans. It simply goes back to my belief that a dog should be allowed to eat in peace. In the wild, canids will fight for their share of available food. There is no reason to encourage that innate instinct in a domestic pet.

BTW... Put your hand in my plate of food and you might end up with a fork stuck in it. Though,I would probably growl first, just to let you know that it would not be a good idea.

John L
Portland OR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts