Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,832 Posts
I'm absolutely NOT a fan of messing with dogs while they eat, or the idea that you need to "control" their eating. That's the easiest way to disrupt your relationship with your puppy and teach them that you aren't trustworthy. My dogs will absolutely drop things (high value raw bones, etc), don't growl at me, or anything like that, and I never stopped them in the middle of a meal. Instead, I use this method: Stop messing with your dog while he eats!

Adding high value things to their bowls while eating, dropping treats near them while eating...not taking things AWAY is the way to create meal times that are not a place of "guarding". You also work on teaching dogs to "drop it" and "leave it" separate from meal time.

·
Super Moderator
22,832 Posts
My grandkids and I play a game where I ask the kids “What do you think he is thinking?“ Do you think he is happy ? Do you think he is dis-appointed? Every moment of each day provides an opportunity for teaching. So show your kids all the different responses and the best way to handle the situation.
kids learn so fast once they are shown things first hand.
This is so smart, Di! I love that you are teaching your grandkids how to read dog body language.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts