Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On days that my wife works I've been driving 30 mins each way to let Einstein out around lunch time. It hasn't been working very well because hes gone in his crate every day before I make it back AND the time away from work 90 mins mid day is causing problems. Today I knew he was going to be on his own for about 7 hours so I decided to give him some more space. I took the crate into our mudroom and closed it off with a baby gate so he'd have accesss to the mud room bathroom and laundry room.

I got him all set up...he seemed confused on why I wasnt shutting him in the crate but I figured he'd learn and be ok. On my way out I had to manuever my way out of the pen. In the mud room we have one of those bootlocker shelves with the bench and the hooks. I had to step on that, over the crate, and over the baby gate to get out. I checked before I left and everything seemed secure.

When my wife got home...Einstein wasn't in his area. He had let himself out into the whole house and was free roaming for lord knows how long. The ONLY way he could have made it out is to jump up onto the bench (he has a hard time getting on the couch let alone something slippery like wood), making the 10 jump on top of the crate, then from the crate over the baby gate. He must have watched me do it when I left. When they found him he was just outside the mud room lying on the carpet. Nothing (visable) was chewed up. No major issues with the house except he laid a #2 in the living room. Everything considered I'm sure he had a successful day.

Going forward...we are still on the hunt for a dog walker...and I think we'll have to reassess the mud room situation for additional security measures.

Our little guy made it through quite the obstacle today. It got me thinking what types of situations have your pups outsmarted or found their way out of?

·
Got mutt?
13,821 Posts
I have chicken wire down around my fence. Ilka is a digger.:( Has been from day one. She has dug out more in the two years I've had her than my Rattie, Lucky, has in the almost 12 years I've had him.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Clever puppy :)

This is what I did when I first got my puppy, it allowed him to go outside of his crate and eliminated if he was by himself for a few hours.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Clever puppy :)

This is what I did when I first got my puppy, it allowed him to go outside of his crate and eliminated if he was by himself for a few hours.

How well does that pin hold up? I'm sure it's effective for a young pup, but as for say my 15-16wk old pup, I can just see her barrel right through it with no issue :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts