Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What puppy food does every one use (or used)?

Or if you have an adult dog, what kind of food do you feed your Doberman?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hey we had a great thread started on this in our Town Hall section.... give it a read, it's really descriptive as to what everyone feeds. As to what puppy food I DID feed my girl, I fed Purina One Large Breed Puppy, but that was before I learned what was better for her.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=708

Feel free to ask questions or add your dog's diet in there too :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I fed my show dog Tia on Nutro large breed puppy till she was 12 months old then moved her to a adult food with great results.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
We stopped using puppy food around 7 months. It seemed that the puppy food was more like rocket fuel for our little girl.....Once we switched her to adult food, she calmed down alittle....not much but a noticeable difference. She always was like a nuclear reactor going super critical, but now we found the on/off switch.....A trainer explained to me, puppies in the wild would be eating what the other adult dogs would be eating around 4 months or after they were weened from the mothers. So puppy food is good for them,but they do not need to be on it up to a year old....I also believe that it can also make them grow slower and steadier, than growing big really fast. This can be a concern for this breed. My girl is still growing at 15 months. My latest stats on her is 27 inches height and weighs in a 72.4 pounds....She still my "delicate flower" though.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use Nutro Lamb & Rice large breed puppy. I now mix it with the adult Nutro Lamb & Rice as she is always sneaking their food and they are sneaking her food. Its like they play this game with me. I put down the puppy's food and she walks away giving my male access to eat. I run over and snatch it away from him and put down the adult food, he walks away and she goes over to eat it. I swear they are messing with me! So now I just mix it and they don't know the difference. My puppy is 8 1/2 months about 24" and 65 lbs. I was hoping she'd be more tall like your girl... but she is still growing. Judging from the dam & sire she will be more solid than my male as he is 27 1/2" and only 70-75 lbs. She can already kick his butt. :weight1:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I also feed nutro large breed to all my dogs till they were a year and was very happy with it. Now they are all on Chicken soup!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our first pup has been on a rotation of Timberwolf Wild & Natural (Summer) and Timberwolf Ocean Blue (winter), with excellent results.

Our new pup, we are trying out Orijen Large Breed Puppy. A vet my fiance shadows (she's a vet student) recommended Orijen Large Breed, it's been an excellent food so far, 70% meat. The protein levels in Orijen, 42%, had us concerned but the vet said he would be fine. He's a board certified veterinary nutritionalist and swears by Orijen and also The Honest Kitchen. Honest Kitchen is a little pricey as we are both students. A few holistic vets in our area also swear by Orijen (if not feeding BARF).

We also supplement with Grizzly Wild Salmon Oil as well as Vit E.

Their coats look incredible!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Puppy food only until about 6 months. That is when I imported Hara so went to adult food, right away. With her activity level- very high, with almost daily tracking and Schutzhund training 3x weekly I make sure the protein level is 25.
I have used many foods trying to find what worked best for her. I have used Canidae, Solid Gold, Innova, Royal Canine Sensible Choice, Eagle Pack and Nutro. For the past 4 or 5 months I have been using Pinnacle and Avoderm. I just bought 2 bags of Pinnacle but I think her coat does better on the Avoderm, so next purchase we will be going back to that. I also supplement with either fish oil or flaxseed oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts