Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok since I haven gotten my dobie pup, he has been eating Pro Plan large breed. Now question how good is this brand my vet says its a good choice but I wanna know from yall? Another question is large breed even necessary, can I use Pro Plan regular size. Finally another question is it fine to mix canned and dry right now??

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I wouldn't feed my dogs Pro Plan, but alot of people swear by it.

Check out this website
http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

The reason for the large breed is because you don't want him to grow to fast, it can cause lots of health problems. I am going through that right now with my 6 month old, he is growing like a weed and I can't seem to slow him down.

We also had a great discussion about puppy food in this thread. Lots to learn on here!
http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1259&highlight=solid+gold

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so lots of people are saying slowly switch him to adult food? What did you end up doing back in black? My dobie is 9 months old and weighs around 70 pounds. Need some opinions people? Because he is low on his Pro Plan large breed food. Need to go to the store pretty soon.

·
Banned
675 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Pro Plan seems to be an okay food. I have fed it in the past. Now I feed Innova. I like it better because of some of the ingredients, but my dogs did fine on Pro Plan and so have other people's dogs. Not all dogs do well on every kind of kibble, so be prepared for that. As long as he's doing well on what he's eating now, you can afford to wait and decide on a permanent food later.

I don't think puppies need to eat a puppy food, the reasoning behind not feeding them puppy food is to slow their growth down on the theory that will help prevent panosteitis. I don't know if that works or not. I've never had a puppy with Pano, and I've raised every puppy I've had except the one I have now on Purina Puppy Chow.

My puppy is now 10 months old, he weighs about 70 pounds. The breeder was feeding him Pro Plan and I kept it up for awhile I after I got him, then I switched him to Innova adult, which is what he's eating now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Puppy food has a higher percentage of protien I've noticed. What about that?
That sounds like its a better thing for growing bones and new teeth.

I was doing adult food but blended my 11 week pup over to Purina Large Breed puppy chow.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Best thing you can do is to find a good specialty dog food store and find the purest, best food you can and go for it. There are plenty of amazing high end foods so there's really no reason to buy anything sold at Petsmart, Petco, or the like..

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
They sell alot of good foods at Pet Smart etc....
Every dog does different on every food.
I've fed Pro Plan since the mid 1980's and my dogs look great.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have fed Pro Plan Chicken & Rice for probably 15 or 20 years and all of my dogs have always done great on it. I don't feed puppy food to puppies though, they all just eat the adult.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've been using hills p/d from my vets since Gunner was 12 weeks. He's 77 lbs now at 10 months. The last time I was in for a bag and weigh with him, the Dr. said I should switch him over to an adult bag next purchase.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I like foods that are geared towards carnivores (have fangs to rip and tear meat) (which dogs are) and not omnivores (people for one), or herbivores, (beef, lamb) and not sure where to put chicken and turkey, cause they eat basically grain, but can become cannabalistic). I feed Innova with a little Evo. But everybody likes something different. Everybody has to use their own judgement on what to feed their dogs, just like you have to use good judgement on what your kids eat. Some things are more notorious for causing problems then others, but a dogs system is different then ours, so a person should try to learn as much as they can about the foods they feed their dogs. For example wheat is a biggey for causing allergies in dogs, as well as people and it is a grain. Grains can be processed with mold/toxins on them and john q dog feeding public wouldn't know it. (Look at the big scare with wheat gluten we had not too long ago.) And there lies the problems with feeding food that is grain based instead of meat based. Especially with companies that put soy, alot of corn products, wheat, barley, it is a cheaper dog food, but you get MORE, mushey, funny colored stools, and you have to feed more, cause they don't have the right balance for a DOG's (carnivore, although they eat some grains/veg/fruits) digestive tract. So the main ing on a dog foods ing list should be a meat. Meat is usually from the US and they have the Dept of Agriculture to deal with. (not China). My rambling is complete so if you read this whole thing, all I can say is whew!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I like the Canidae All Stages, either the original or the chicken and rice. I've had great results with both. Even though I prefer that over Pro Plan, I think the ProPlan Large Breed Puppy is a good food for a doberman puppy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
eagle pack is good and wellness too!. i would NEVER! feed my dog food i can by at wallmart. the whole dog journal has a list of the best foods to feed you dog. they have some good info too how dog food can kill your dog!. as a pup i feed eagle pack because they are the only dog food company that really went deep into researched about whats best to feed large dogs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Canuck - that is a totally irrational comment, totally lacking in evidence. What you read on the internet is hardly proof of anything - you have to look at the quality and validity of the source. To my knowledge, Hill's has had one incident in the past 25 years of food contamination. While you may choose not to feed their foods, you can't just toss out statements like that without any sort of validation or evidence to support it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
google it!. many people are saying that food company made there pets sick!. but your right i have no proof just what i read over the internet. but i wouldn't want my dog eating food that has that around it. i would only feed what the whole dog journal say are the good foods to feed. and hills isn't on that list...... i have list if any one wants it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Vet/Breeder we got our puppy from recommended that we use 50% raw ground chicken and kibbles (everyother time switching between Iams and Exceed). She seems to like it and her coat seems very nice.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts