Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been progressively switching Kanes puppy food to Orijen Large Breed Puppy. I've read a few mixed reviews on it here lately. I believe I may go another route and find a different kind. Anyone have any thoughts on Orijen LBP, or suggestions. I do know he has had a lot more gas since the switch.

·
Super Moderator
21,739 Posts
Shanoa grew up on Orijen large breed puppy and I was very pleased with it. You might try Acana, if you want something similar. I'm currently feeding Nature's Domain and am very happy with it.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
There are a lot of good foods. I'm a big fan of TOTW which is not only great but tends to be cheaper than the other foods of it's quality. Acana, Natures Domain, EVO, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Wellness CORE, and Canidae are also good foods.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Im a big fan of Wellness - great quality food!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I actually mix two top quality dog foods.... I really liked what both had to offer... I mix Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Puppy) and Nutro Ultra Select... Both are top dog foods and are very healthy for a dobe... Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Orijen Large Breed Puppy is excellent food. Anne was raised on it from 13 weeks of age to about 13 months; it met all expectations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard Orijen LBP was great, but I noticed the increase in gas and some GI upset from Kane and started researching a little. Some say it was because it has "too much" protein in it. I'm going to finish out the bag, and see how that goes. It came very highly recommended from the shop employees tho.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My pup has been on Orijen LBP from day one. His breeder had him on it, i did my research, and kept him on it. His coat is amazing, his energy levels are through the roof. The downside, his stool goes from solid to mush for no good reason, and it happens often, and if you dont feed on a schedule..meaning the food is down all day, Orijen's odor travels all over, and your house will stink. The good out weight the bad in this food for me, love the results.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have noticed that too Monk, his stool has turned from mush to firm, then back to mush a couple times, but I just assumed it was because I was introducing a new food to him. (still mixing with old) He poops pretty much every time I take him out which is at least 6 times a day...I'm doin my best to keep him hydrated. It can't be good for him to poop that many times if this continues. He loves the food tho, and even my picky Shih Tzu eats Orijen and she sticks her nose in the air at any/all dry dog foods.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My pup loved the Orijen LBP. So did some of my older dogs who figured out how to open the container I had it in and were GORGING on rich puppy food! You might try ACANA. Think it's made by the Orijen company, but has a little less protein.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have noticed that too Monk, his stool has turned from mush to firm, then back to mush a couple times, but I just assumed it was because I was introducing a new food to him. (still mixing with old) He poops pretty much every time I take him out which is at least 6 times a day...I'm doin my best to keep him hydrated. It can't be good for him to poop that many times if this continues. He loves the food tho, and even my picky Shih Tzu eats Orijen and she sticks her nose in the air at any/all dry dog foods.
The amount of times the pup poops during the day will start to decrease as the pup get older/matures....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sure hope so. They're already 6x a day and the size of a Yorkie! I'm going to have to switch from little baggies to Hefty 13 gallon bags.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to switch back to Innova LBP in the morning. This is rediculous. He cannot hold it. Its explosive. Orijen is great, but I guess my puppy is one of those that cannot handle the high end foods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts